Does anyone else feel like everyone talks down to them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

I can't get close to anyone because it feels like people are just pretending to be friendly to me. When someone talks to me, it just feels so... fake. They use this tone of voice that sounds like what you'd use to talk to a little kid, like someone who's 5 years old. Do people think I'm ret*d or something? I can't see why they would.

Or maybe it's just me. Maybe they're being genuinely friendly and I just can't trust anyone. I don't know.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2014, 4:47 pm

I get that as well. It's like they are only being friendly out of obligation and when someone better comes around they will be gone. Other times people seem to use this tone and speak really slowly like I am slow. That really is rooted in Asperger's. Not being able to determine someone's intentions. Just have to remain aware of that and not assume they are pretending. At least for me, I get it wrong more times than right and have lost some good opportunities because of it.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

I think I get this, too. Particularly from family, but also services e.g. mental health/social, college etc. which might be because they have information about me on file. Sometimes I find it happening with other people, but less frequently.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:39 pm

You're not the only one buddy, people speak and act towards me like I have no idea what is going on at all and is just stupid in general, people in School assume just because in some lessons I have someone looking over my shoulder ( my support ' helper ', as its called ) I must be a ret*d, and people usually don't try to speak to me like they would to an average person, even today I overheard someone talking about me '' Why is he so stupid? ''.

Ignorance is everywhere my friend.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 7:59 pm

People tend to patronize me because:

1. I'm fifteen, but built like a nine or ten-year-old
2. I'm 'quiet'
3. Although I have friends, I'm usually seen by myself, so they assume I'm some poor sole who just needs someone to talk to
4. Where I live, adult women call everyone 'sweetie' or 'honey'...I hate that.

My church pastor's daughter used to say 'hi' to me a lot, but I figured it was because she thought I was lonely and it was the 'Christian thing to do'.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 12:16 am

Yes, I can also relate to this. The smug condescension, the fake demeanour, and the sense that they are thinking to themselves, 'This person is mentally deficient'.

There is nothing more infuriating! :evil: :wall:

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 1:16 am

All the time but sometimes I tell them to f**k off! And they challenge me and I fight them and put them in their place then talk down to them and give them a taste of their own god damn medicine and eventually they feel bad and beg for forgiveness and I forgive them and they respect me later on!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList