Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

For the uninitiated, M.U.G.E.N is a fighting game engine where you can download characters and stages from other games (all fan-made, and all classed as fan art, so it's all legal :D) and "plug them in" to the engine. I've been playing it for a few years now....anyone else here a fan of M.U.G.E.N?

Ioini
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

Yeah I do some days. It's a lot of fun!

Master Ryu P.O.T.S is my main in that "game". He's the Ryu I always imagined being if he mastered the "Assassin's Fist".

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

DukeNukem2417 wrote:
For the uninitiated, M.U.G.E.N is a fighting game engine where you can download characters and stages from other games (all fan-made, and all classed as fan art, so it's all legal :D) and "plug them in" to the engine. I've been playing it for a few years now....anyone else here a fan of M.U.G.E.N?

I hadn't heard of it before today, it sounds like an interesting concept (albeit a bit poorly executed).
I gather that MUGEN can be used to make different types of games, but is more geared towards the production of fighting games.

On the subject of legality...

Quote:
A member of the "M.U.G.E.N Community" contacted me and informed me that the M.U.G.E.N community asked both SNK and Capcom for approval of using their characters in M.U.G.E.N. SNK actually gave permission for their work to be used in M.U.G.E.N specifically, while Capcom gave their generic email response saying it was ok if their work wasn't used for profit.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/features/mugen.html / Wikipedia

I understand that many of the sprites and animations are directly ripped from other games made by SNK or Capcom.
Which was legal, since seemingly both of those companies gave permission for their copyrighted material to be used in MUGEN (as the games are not sold for profit).
Many of them are not fan made though, and just use code which has been hauled out of professional games.

It doesn't sound like a lot of the people who make MUGEN fighting games are bothering to cover the legal issues involved in using non-SNK non-Capcom characters, however.. for example, by using animation rips from Sailor Moon, the Simpsons, Family Guy, Marvel characters, Mario and so forth without bothering to request permission to do so before going right on ahead... which would be illegal of course , but assumedly it's impossible for anybody who owns legal rights to those characters to do anything to prevent the individual game sprite rippers from producing MUGEN games including copyrighted characters. A lot of the MUGEN games are assumedly released anonymously or with internet nicknames for the creators.

To me, it sounds like a more coherent fighting game creation engine could probably do the job just as well as MUGEN, but it seems to me that MUGEN makes the process more accessible to the general masses ; so allows for people to make games comparatively easily.

I'm not fussed about this kind of 2D fighting game personally, but MUGEN is an interesting concept.