Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 8:35 am

since there is not a delete account feature I attempted to just turn off notifications and log out.

this did not stop the notifications, so how do I stop it, just add your address to my spam settings?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Apr 2014, 10:02 am

What is it you're trying to do - close your account or stop thread/PM update notifications?

See here for information on closing your account:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt204272.html
...you can PM me if this is what you want to do.

To stop notifications, switch them off in your profile:
* Click the My Account link (top right of screen).
* Select Edit Profile then scroll down and make sure the notification options are all selected as "No".
* When you're done, scroll down further and click the Save Profile Changes button.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 6:06 am

I did the notifications thing but they still come (took a screenshot but there is no way to just post a picture)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Apr 2014, 6:32 am

I just looked at your profile settings and yes indeed, all update alerts are set to "No".
Strangely, your post above still has the Notify me when a reply is posted option checked (see bottom of a post edit window) which ought to have been set automatically by your profile as unchecked.

As you'll presumably receive an update alert for this post, please look at that option as you post here and verify it's definitely being automatically checked on a new post. That being the case, this is probably due to a bug in the forum software (which is odd, because setting the update alert options in my profile works for me) and the easiest way of dealing with it would be, as you say, to spam-filter the source address of the update alert mails.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:08 am

Strangely did not get notified of this, still getting notification of others

I think I have identified the problem, the forum software does not reset notification of anything you had checked as notify before you changed

and the box is not checked now for "notify me when a reply is posted"

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Apr 2014, 4:42 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
I think I have identified the problem, the forum software does not reset notification of anything you had checked as notify before you changed
Ah, good point - although I was sure the profile option would override any per-thread settings, past or future, but apparently it's just a switch that sets the default setting for further posts. My bad. :oops:
That being the case, selecting each thread's Stop watching this topic option as an alert is received should fix it... one at a time. Tedious, and it really shouldn't be necessary.

There are bugs afoot here, for sure: when I check your post above I still see Notify me when a reply is posted is checked - despite your view of it showing that as not checked, and that notifications were not received.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 2:17 am

You can always change the email address to something invalid