Do most people in general make you nervous

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

Here i'm talking about just typical people you see everyday, if your made to have to "socialize" with them? For me, I find that the case. Even being one on one with kids sometimes, never mind other type of people of different ages that are judgmental. How about you?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 11:28 pm

infilove wrote:
Here i'm talking about just typical people you see everyday, if your made to have to "socialize" with them? For me, I find that the case. Even being one on one with kids sometimes, never mind other type of people of different ages that are judgmental. How about you?

Yes and no.
People scare me and make me nervous, in general.

However, when I'm in an assertive, gregarious mood I tend to ignore all that and just jump into things.
I've learned to take on the mantle of confidence & self-assurace when it seems advantageous.

...But yeah...
Generally speaking people are scary.

Chernobyl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm

Yes, there are very few people I can look in the eyes for even a second. I often wonder what other people think of me since I'm not social like they are and it makes me feel anxious especially when they're watching me

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

Yes. People I don't know well make me nervous. I avoid interacting with people in real life as much as I can because they drain my energy.

SolinaJoki
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

I agree. I feel anxiety whenever I'm going out in the world, even just to the grocery store. I live in a very friendly city and there is always a conversation to be had with the clerk at the grocery store or wherever. It makes me very nervous. I have sort of memorized how you do small talk and stick with that. I don't know what I look like from the outside, but I definitely feel inept on the inside.

sk8r44809
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

Yes,

People in general scare me. There is a line that any given relationship crosses or at least can cross, and after crossing I feel much more at ease around that person. I am curious what makes the difference in crossing the line, but I don't know.

And another thing, in learning to cope with AS before I even knew it existed, I managed to teach myself to act how I perceived other people acting. So for a long time I didn't even realize how intimidated I was when I had to interact with other people. I think this is somewhat typical when AS people teach themselves to emulate social behavior, but for a while I can remember people remarking that it was almost unnerving how much I made eye contact with them. I remember people telling me that meant I was more confident, or more sincere, than most people are. Looking back, though, I think it was more just that I thought that's what people do when they talk... they look each other in the eye.

The last year or so I have been trying to learn to be a bit more true to my own instincts and feelings, and that's when I started to realize that I felt like avoiding people when I can. During that year, I had a coworker that remarked how I seemed to struggle to make eye contact with him... so at first I was a bit disheartened because if it was confidence to MAKE eye contact, then does that mean I am losing my backbone now? I don't think so, however. I think really I am getting to know better what I like and don't like. And sometimes I still find it worthwhile to make myself seem more confident and at ease with strangers, but generally I am leaning toward catering to my own anxiety and letting myself be somewhat shy.

CJH123
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 8:35 pm

Yes people do scare me and make me feel nervous, but in the same time they dont. I mean I guess im always gonna feel this way but I desire to try communicate with others, but I still findbit hard due go the nerves.

Nobody scares me, what scares me is what they will think if me.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:19 am

I find it tiring, but it doesn't make me nervous.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 7:17 am

A little bit, but I've experienced that I actually make other people nervous a lot more easily.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

Depends on the person, although most social situations give me anxiety. People who are older than me or who don't give off an air of them being better than everyone generally give me less anxiety. People who are my age, unless I know them very well, typically give me more anxiety.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

TheWildMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

Another yes checking in here. I can agree and relate to all the comments above. Like Bodyles said if I'm in a good mood I can push through and even ignore the anxiety. I'll usually be in my own world doing it though. I look right at where I'm going or the ground and if I think someone is going to start a conversation i'll find a way to avoid it without it coming off that way. If I do manage to make eye contact for a period of time I feel like I'm putting more focus into just making eye contact than I am listening or joining in on a conversation. Even the quick grocery store conversations can be rough. I think I put off a major don't talk to my vibe most of the time. I say that because of the offended looks I get and lack of started up conversations. I seem like I'm in a hurry all the time if I'm out doing something because, well, I am. Apparently at times I don't come off as anxious but I find that hard to believe. I can usually pick up when other people are nervous and imagine it would be easy to see it in me also. I think I just come off as real impatient. There are time when I do try to act like I care about the person I'm talking to and they usually just think something is wrong with me. Like Cyclops said a lot of times I tend to make the other person more nervous! The way I think about that is that I deal with tons of people every day who are very different from me but not everyone else is used to dealing with people that are very different from them. When I'm paying at a store I'm already expecting the chance of the contact to be out of the usual, but to the other person it might be more unexpected and unnerving. WildMan here signing out.