Michigan ban on Affirmative Action upheld by supreme court

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04 ... ction-ban/
A victory against racism by outdated racial preferences.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

I got a Page Not Found error.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 7:43 pm

I've been hearing about this on the news today. The Supreme Court majority seems to equate racial preference meant to combat racial discrimination as racial discrimination. I have to think that many conservatives either have blinders to the facts of reality on, or they just don't want to admit their own racism.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

Quote:
The Supreme Court has upheld Michigan's affirmative action ban, ruling that the state has the right to determine whether racial preferences can be considered in college admissions.

In a 6-2 ruling on Tuesday, the justices said that a lower federal court was wrong to set aside the change as discriminatory. The Supreme Court ruled that Michigan voters had the right to change their state constitution to bar public colleges and universities from using race as a factor in admissions.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority, suggested that right extends even beyond college policies.

"There is no authority in the federal constitution or in the [courts'] precedents for the judiciary to set aside Michigan laws that commit to the voters the determination whether racial preferences may be considered in governmental decisions, in particular with respect to school admissions," he wrote.

Kennedy said voters chose to eliminate racial preferences because they deemed them unwise.

"This case is not about how the debate about racial preferences should be resolved. It is about who may resolve it," Kennedy said.

To allow racial preference is to allow racism, plain and simple.
To say it's racist not to allow racism doesnt make a lick of sense.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm

I am a minority and I oppose affirmative action. It is demeaning to minorities who receive preferential treatment. I am glad MI no longer has affirmative action. Get into college based on your academic merit, not because they want to increase ethnic diversity on campus.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2014, 2:31 pm

Affirmative action is racist plain and simple. "Oh your race isn't as smart and therefore needs assistance". I never got how liberals and minorities never saw this.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 2:32 pm

Al725 wrote:
Affirmative action is racist plain and simple. "Oh your race isn't as smart and therefore needs assistance". I never got how liberals and minorities never saw this.

They don't see it because that is not the reasoning behind affirmative action.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 2:41 pm

starkid wrote:
Al725 wrote:

Thank You! I think conservatives in that accusation are projecting their own prejudices.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 9:44 pm

In California , USA

This topic is debated whether to use race as a criteria in college entrance.

Presently, Asian people are only 14% of the California population, however, they make up 36-51% of most UC campus student bodies.

So, should we use affirmative action to racially discriminate against Asians to help a minority - say white people - who are under-represented at these colleges ?
(Note: Hispanics are the majority now in California, so "whites" are a minority).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 10:59 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
In California , USA

This topic is debated whether to use race as a criteria in college entrance.

Presently, Asian people are only 14% of the California population, however, they make up 36-51% of most UC campus student bodies.

So, should we use affirmative action to racially discriminate against Asians to help a minority - say white people - who are under-represented at these colleges ?
(Note: Hispanics are the majority now in California, so "whites" are a minority).

No, Affirmative Action should not discriminate against Asians - anymore than it discriminates against whites.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 2:14 am

starkid wrote:
Al725 wrote:

It isn't the reasoning behind it, but that is how it is perceived.

I got a full academic scholarship to college. Is it because I deserved it or because I was black? Did they feel sorry for me because I am a minority? I don't want handouts.

I also got an award for my SAT scores. It was specifically for black people. It had a lower score than the award given to everybody regardless of race. That is insulting.

I want to be respected for my own merits, not have my accomplishments questioned by me or anyone else because of affirmative action. Also, race is not the problem anymore (in my opinion), it is poverty and access to opportunities. Higher rates of poverty happen to coincide with belonging to a group of people who were historically discriminated against (blacks, latinos, Native Americans). However, there are probably more white people who are poor and need help than there are minorities who are poor and need help. Why should they be given a lower priority than poor racial minorities? I think help should be given based on merit + need, not minority status.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 3:19 am

em_tsuj wrote:
starkid wrote:
Al725 wrote:

I got a full academic scholarship to college. Is it because I deserved it or because I was black? Did they feel sorry for me because I am a minority? I don't want handouts.

I also got an award for my SAT scores. It was specifically for black people. It had a lower score than the award given to everybody regardless of race. That is insulting.

I want to be respected for my own merits, not have my accomplishments questioned by me or anyone else because of affirmative action. Also, race is not the problem anymore (in my opinion), it is poverty and access to opportunities. Higher rates of poverty happen to coincide with belonging to a group of people who were historically discriminated against (blacks, latinos, Native Americans). However, there are probably more white people who are poor and need help than there are minorities who are poor and need help. Why should they be given a lower priority than poor racial minorities? I think help should be given based on merit + need, not minority status.

I agree, more should be done for everyone wanting education, regardless of race. The only problem is, that takes money, and there are far too many people who feel resentment for being taxed, especially for the benefit of the poor.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 4:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
starkid wrote:
Al725 wrote:

I agree, more should be done for everyone wanting education, regardless of race. The only problem is, that takes money, and there are far too many people who feel resentment for being taxed, especially for the benefit of the poor.

I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure government officials get elected who believe in the good of the collective, not individual rights at the expense of the collective. It only makes sense to help citizens get qualifications for income-producing jobs. A brilliant person from a bad neighborhood who does not get an opportunity is a waste. That person's talent does not get used. Also, we spend tax dollars on handouts for that person (paying for their food and medical expenses and housing, even if they work full-time, and especially if they are in prison). It doesn't give money back to the economy. Invest in workers and potential entrepreneurs! Don't invest in people who already have money and are trying to hoard it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 4:35 am

em_tsuj wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
starkid wrote:
Al725 wrote:

I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure government officials get elected who believe in the good of the collective, not individual rights at the expense of the collective. It only makes sense to help citizens get qualifications for income-producing jobs. A brilliant person from a bad neighborhood who does not get an opportunity is a waste. That person's talent does not get used. Also, we spend tax dollars on handouts for that person (paying for their food and medical expenses and housing, even if they work full-time, and especially if they are in prison). It doesn't give money back to the economy. Invest in workers and potential entrepreneurs! Don't invest in people who already have money and are trying to hoard it.

I absolutely agree money should be spent on workers, and people enterprising enough to start businesses. But I also see the need to care for people who for reasons of handicap, age, or unemployment have no other means of survival.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 5:19 am

might be wrong as am not very familiar with it,but doesnt affirmative action also affect disability and other groups-not just race?
its not good for race because its like saying someone with a different race to the majority is in need of extra help to get to the same position;thats patronising and demeaning as having a different to the majority race now days means are given the same rights already and are seen as equal by law [of course theres still a lot of racist people who feel threatened by anyone who isnt their colour but thats another story].

however for someone with disability,they might actualy need that extra help to get to the same position,in the UK;one such example of affirmative action for disability is the two ticks scheme-it guarantees high functioning disabled people [ie,those with the capacity to work a mainstream job] a interview but it doesnt stop the bosses throwing their applications in the bin and choosing someone else.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 6:06 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
might be wrong as am not very familiar with it,but doesnt affirmative action also affect disability and other groups-not just race?
its not good for race because its like saying someone with a different race to the majority is in need of extra help to get to the same position;thats patronising and demeaning as having a different to the majority race now days means are given the same rights already and are seen as equal by law [of course theres still a lot of racist people who feel threatened by anyone who isnt their colour but thats another story].

however for someone with disability,they might actualy need that extra help to get to the same position,in the UK;one such example of affirmative action for disability is the two ticks scheme-it guarantees high functioning disabled people [ie,those with the capacity to work a mainstream job] a interview but it doesnt stop the bosses throwing their applications in the bin and choosing someone else.

Affirmative action isn't about giving breaks to people of a certain ethnic group because they are viewed as incapable to naturally competing with other ethnic groups, but because that particular ethnic group has faced insurmountable discrimination, and so the playing field is leveled.