Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

karmapolice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2014, 6:42 pm

Hi!

I am trying to recover from a personality disorder, which is complicated by HFA. Anyone else? what are your struggles and experiences?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 9:52 pm

I struggle with AvPD - Avoidant Personality Disorder. I have low self esteem and think everyone on earth is better than me. I feel unworthy of attention and would rather spend all my time by myself. I get hurt easily and can't handle criticism. On the weekends you can find me at home watching Smurfs cartoons or just surfing the internet. I used to drink but I stopped 3 months ago. Instead of drinking I, unfortunately, spend a lot of my time sleeping.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 12:23 am

Which PD do you have karmapolice?
I've schizotypal PD. I've ideas of references, magic thinking and so on. I see connections where there are none and sometimes have the feeling that things have a special hidden message and so on. I also have paranoid thoughts that about very specific situations that can be close to delusional, besides that I'm not the paranoid type and I've the social anxiety that's typical for schizotypal, meaning I'm afraid others could do me harm. But I'm still a very social person, meaning even though I'm a bit withdrawn, I still have some friends and ppl to talk to, not many but they are there.

Cazz333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2014, 5:48 pm

Raziel wrote:
I've schizotypal PD. I've ideas of references, magic thinking and so on. I see connections where there are none and sometimes have the feeling that things have a special hidden message and so on. I also have paranoid thoughts that about very specific situations that can be close to delusional, besides that I'm not the paranoid type and I've the social anxiety that's typical for schizotypal, meaning I'm afraid others could do me harm. But I'm still a very social person, meaning even though I'm a bit withdrawn, I still have some friends and ppl to talk to, not many but they are there.

Awesome.

karmapolice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2014, 6:56 pm

Hi :) thanks for the replies!

I have complex personality disorder not otherwise specified... in other words I have bits of many PD's!
My traits are mainly borderline and paranoid.

I believe that personality disorders can be fully recovered from, its what I'm working towards at the moment.
I do find that the autistic traits complicate the personality disorder!!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 1:55 am

Cazz333 wrote:
Raziel wrote:

Awesome.

Why should it be awesome? 8O
:?

karmapolice wrote:
I believe that personality disorders can be fully recovered from, its what I'm working towards at the moment.

I'm not convinced that this is so easily possible with all PDs, but in fact in general the PD is especially noticeable in young adulthood and is getting better over time.
But every PD has a different pattern though. Borderline PD has a very good outcome in most cases. The symptoms are quite severe in young adulthood but in most cases there are just tendencies left in their 40s. I'm convinced about Theodor Millons concept that there is one "main PD" with traits of other PDs. Maybe I'm wrong about that one, but BPD and PPD have quite a bit overlap. Due to my schizotypal PD (StPD), I've also paranoia and when it gets too severe I can get highly emotional with a certain level of emotional instability too, but the reason is my StPD. So you could say that I've StPD with traits of other PDs. I also have schizoid tendencies from time to time, so the traits can change over time, but the "main PD" is constant.

With schizotypal PD it's different than with most PDs. It usually gets worth with age, not better. In the ICD it's not even considered as a PD, but instead as part of the schizophrenic specturm, on it's milder end. Actually it wasn't that obvious that I've schizotypal PD about. Five years ago, because schizotypal PD has quite a big overlap to other disorders, so I was miss-dx back and forth until my schizotypal symptoms got more obvious. So I'm not quite convinced that I'll me symptom free from schizotypal PD one day... :?

karmapolice wrote:
I do find that the autistic traits complicate the personality disorder!!

Yes, I guess so.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:32 am

Perhaps what your psychs have interpreted as "personality disorder" symptoms are actually symptoms of AS. A flat affect and alexithymia can look like schizoid personality; autistic meltdowns can look like the emotional dysregulation of borderline. Anxiety and depression, pattern recognition (which can turn to paranoia and false connections), difficulty with relationships--all these things are pretty common in autistics, and are not the result of "personality", but neurology.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:47 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Perhaps what your psychs have interpreted as "personality disorder" symptoms are actually symptoms of AS. A flat affect and alexithymia can look like schizoid personality; autistic meltdowns can look like the emotional dysregulation of borderline. Anxiety and depression, pattern recognition (which can turn to paranoia and false connections), difficulty with relationships--all these things are pretty common in autistics, and are not the result of "personality", but neurology.

Well I think a distinction is difficult to make. PDs are hardly dx in ppl with autism. Approx 10% of the population has a PD, but not 10% of autistic ppl are getting diagnosed with one. Like autistic ppl would be immune against PDs and that's just incorrect. I'm even convinced that autistic ppl are getting more often a PD then the general population but in fact it's difficult to differentiate. It's possible that they didn't differentiate correctly and that the OT just has autism. But in my opinion PDs are often missed in ppl with autism. For example I've ideas of references like they are typical for the schizophrenic spectrum and other symptoms and in the past they didn't got recognised and also not treated because everything was explained away with autism until they got more severe. I would have been better of if my schizotypal symptoms would have been treated right from the start.

Also there have been found differences in the brain of ppl with PDs, especially in borderline, paranoid and schizotypal PD. So even PDs have a certain amount of neurological reasons.

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

28 May 2014, 3:36 pm

I think I have AsPD (antisocial personality disorder) with my HFA/aspergers.
I can relate to almost all of the traits. I constantly get thoughts to hurt people or damage their stuff. sometimes i do antisocial things and i feel really happy and good about myself. i don't get much remorse or empathy. i'm only starting to understand this side of myself. prior to january '14 i've always assumed i'm just born to be a bad person. i'm attracted to bad things. that's all i want to do. when i don't do antisocial things i constantly have aspie days and i suffer very badly. sometimes antisocial things aren't planned. they just happen, i make an instant, impulsive choice and i get a crazy high off it. i literally burst out laughing. i've lost friends and acquaintances due to it.
i'm trying to control myself though and it's a constant battle. being aspergers makes it worse because i desire friendship and this doesn't make me fit into the general population. sometimes i feel like a psychopath.

My therapist and psychiatrist recognizes bipolar and borderline traits in me too. i was originally diagnosed severe depression but it was changed to mood disorder when they recognized a pattern of ups and downs.
I experience ups and downs, downs i get really depressed and ups it's a state of hypomania. it's a very rapid cycle, almost every day I change. there's a bi weekly and bi-monthly cycle too. I have medication but i can't make myself stay on it for more than a week at most. the downs are sometimes bad, sometimes i cry all day, other times i self harm. occasionally i get suicidal. the highs i really like and it's worth it.

when i have aspie days sometimes i break down and cry out for help.
today is not an aspie day. i feel there's no problem and i feel invincible.