Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 9:33 am

So, after having braces on for about 4 years, I got them off a week ago. I also just got retainers today.

I can't have them in my mouth for more than a minute without gagging on them. The fact they feel strange isn't bothering me, none of that, but they, especially the top one, are causing me to gag and I just have to take them out.

So I'm asking for those that have previously or currently have retainers, does it get any better? I keep trying to put up with them in my mouth but I can't get it to happen.

Please help. I have to wear them 24/7 and I really do want to do what my orthodentist has said but it's just impossible for a minute, nevermind 24 hours. How do I stop myself gagging on them?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

21 May 2014, 11:01 am

I usually just mixed my favorite toothpaste and water together in a glass and dunked mine in. I don't wear them anymore though.

You could try getting a permanent retainer. They're less invasive but it makes flossing a real pain. :lol:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 11:21 am

Oh ok, thanks :) I suppose it tasting nicer should help. I'll just have to see.

What is a permanent retainer? I should only have to wear this one for a few months, no more than a year.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 9:52 am

They kind of always make me gag. I had braces for two years, and I wore my retainer for two years like I was supposed to. I still wear it sometimes because I don't want my teeth to get ruined, but it's uncomfortable.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 May 2014, 11:02 am

iliketrees wrote:
Oh ok, thanks :) I suppose it tasting nicer should help. I'll just have to see.

What is a permanent retainer? I should only have to wear this one for a few months, no more than a year.

A permanent retainer is a thick-ish wire glued to the back of your teeth. They're quite effective, actually. :)

Good luck with your removable one! Don't lose it. :lol:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 11:36 pm

If I lose it we have to pay for it 8O It's been free other than that (apart from a toothbrush kit and the retained box). But thanks, I think I'm getting a bit more used to it, I can keep it in for half an hour at a time now, and the bottom one in almost constantly :D

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
They kind of always make me gag. I had braces for two years, and I wore my retainer for two years like I was supposed to. I still wear it sometimes because I don't want my teeth to get ruined, but it's uncomfortable.

Oh, what do you do about the gagging? It's alright if I'm at home when it starts, but I don't want to begin gagging and be forced to take it out while at school :(

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2014, 8:24 pm

I have retainers currently. I gagged at first, too.
My orthodontist filed them down as much as possible, and I eventually got used to them after about a week.
nonetheless, I can't wait to not have to wear them.

melysllew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2014, 4:26 pm

My orthodontist really messed things up and I ended getting my braces off after 10 months (it was supposed to be 2 years). I was given a retainer for full use, and when I first wore it, I couldn't talk, eat or anything and I usually gagged on the bottom one. I definately got used to it over time, though, and still wear both some nights even though both are broken...

You are very likely an Aspie

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

leniorose wrote:
My orthodontist filed them down as much as possible, and I eventually got used to them after about a week.

Ah :o I only gag occasionally now, and I wear them all the time. I'm pretty used to them. Except sneezing :x Oh, and I sometimes gag trying to talk with them in. But I'm getting fine with them.

Now it's about cleaning them. The top one is easy to clean. It's a bit of plastic with no crevasses and some wires on it. The bottom one is a clear plastic mould. I brush inside and out multiple times a day but I just feel the deepest parts (my front teeth tips) just aren't getting clean. :?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:08 pm

iliketrees wrote:
leniorose wrote:

Ah :o I only gag occasionally now, and I wear them all the time. I'm pretty used to them. Except sneezing :x Oh, and I sometimes gag trying to talk with them in. But I'm getting fine with them.

Now it's about cleaning them. The top one is easy to clean. It's a bit of plastic with no crevasses and some wires on it. The bottom one is a clear plastic mould. I brush inside and out multiple times a day but I just feel the deepest parts (my front teeth tips) just aren't getting clean. :?

^ get retainer-brite from your dentist. All you have to do is put the tablet in your cup and let it fizz and put your retainer in. It takes about 15-20 minutes and it gets your retainer really clean.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:37 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
leniorose wrote:

^ get retainer-brite from your dentist. All you have to do is put the tablet in your cup and let it fizz and put your retainer in. It takes about 15-20 minutes and it gets your retainer really clean.

Thank you, I will try to remember for the next time I go :)

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

i never wore my retainer.
my teeth are less than perfect but looks fine
i felt it was disgusting, icky with spit and stuff.

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

I got braces when I was 12 and had them on for almost 2 years. I now have a retainer (the kind where its clear plastic, like a mouthguard). I wear it most of the time, I wash it out with toothpaste everyday otherwise it starts to smell really bad....

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

I found retainer-brite really effective, I used to buy a ton of it. I never found toothpaste effective enough.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm

i just got my braces off this February after nearly 3 years.
my orthodontist said i need to have the top- rainbow colored one on all day and the bottom, transparent one at night.
first thing i do when i wake up it take those things out of my mouth. they just have a bad taste in the morning i can't stand, and it makes me gag.

also my dog chewed up my top one and i had to get it fixed (for free!)
my fault, i left it on my bed-couch. :?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.