Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kyh
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2014, 5:07 pm

I was always quite sensitive to sounds (that's probably why I became a musician) but it of course has its downside. When I realize that there's some annoing sound around me, it's really difficult for me to forget about it (get over it) and focus on something else.

Few months ago (during winter) I moved to another apartment, at first it was difficult to get used to the sound of a large heater which is inside of a living room (it's kind of "open" architecture - one large space + two smaller rooms), but I managed to do so.

But at some point there was a series of three loud outdoor parties/concerts right next to my building (I live in a city center) - three nights in a row, from 6 pm till 2 in the night. It was a nightmare, it was impossible to escape the sound. At first I thought it was one night only, on the second night I couldn't believie it's happening again, on a third night around 6 pm I was already waiting for it to happen again - at some point I started to hear something, but I was not sure if it was the music again - I sort of became hypersensitive to any sound that resembled the music I was hearing before. But eventually, the music started, as I expected.

After this incident, the hipersensitivity didn't go away - I started to hear the radio or tv of my neighbors through the wall... it's really quiet and I probably haven't noiced it before, but now I seem to hear it all the time and it's really difficult for me to forget about it. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I hear the radio, or some other noises that my brain started to interpret as the voices from the radio. It lasts for some trhee months already and doesn't go away. I started to feel like I'm getting nuts...

I don't have any idea what I can do about it... Talking to neighbors doesn't seem reasonable, as the radio is rather quiet, and I have a daughter who is really loud at times and I think the neighbours would definitely have better reason to talk to me about noises in a first place...

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 5:29 pm

If relocating isn't an option, I would reiterate my previous suggestion on WP to look for white-noise generators, ear buds, earphones, ear plugs or a combination of two or more. Also consider those "natural sounds" (waterfalls, forest life, streams) CDs.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kyh
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm

Yes, I'm using some of these techniques ("rain sounds" from Youtube, earplugs)... But my question was rather: is there any way to shift your perception so to became less sensitive to these sounds? Or is it going to stay that way forever? (the perception)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 3:49 pm

kyh wrote:
Yes, I'm using some of these techniques ("rain sounds" from Youtube, earplugs)... But my question was rather: is there any way to shift your perception so to became less sensitive to these sounds? Or is it going to stay that way forever? (the perception)

I suppose it would be possible to desensitize yourself to the sounds (but I haven't heard of such a therapy). Online, I found a few ideas http://www.wikihow.com/Desensitize-Chil ... -or-Autism http://www.autism-help.org/story-adult- ... tivity.htm http://www.psychcentral.com/blog/archiv ... ensitivity http://www.usautism.org/USAAA_Newslette ... 071312.htm http://www.ieautism.org/children/audito ... herapy-ait which offer some techniques to try to desensitize yourself.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 5:06 pm

I had this problem all my life. When I was in grade school I could hear the sonic sound that bats (animal) make. I lived in many apartments and each one was too hard for me to tolerate. The sound and vibrations of base sound is the worst. I live in a house now but can only be in my bedroom. I run a fan all the time. When the noise is louder outside I turn the speed of the fan up. My hearing is 12 decibel's Left and 17 decibel's Right. I was told I have excellent hearing, At my age this is very good. But the downside is that I hear too much. My advice to you is, move out of the city to the country into a house. Once in your own house you can modify it to help with your sensitivity problems.

HYPERSENSITIVE HEARING (OF SPECIFIC FREQUENCIES): Then there are individuals who are sound sensitive at birth but it is only specific to certain frequencies heard at loud levels (typically above 70 decibels). It may seem like we are splitting hairs here but remember ? the key words with hypersensitive hearing are ? sound sensitive to specific frequencies heard at loud levels. These frequencies are typically labeled 'problem' frequencies. Autistic children are good examples of this. They can tolerate some sound at normal or even loud volumes but some frequencies are difficult to tolerable. Commonly autistic children, children who are marginally autistic, or non-autistic individuals who have hyperacute hearing are treated with auditory integration therapy (AIT). AIT takes regular music and filters out the problem frequencies through a special machine called an audiokinetron. Somehow this therapy seems to 'retune' their ears and normalizes their hearing tolerances. The music is listened to at decibel levels which can peak up to 90 decibels. This creates a problem for the hyperacusis patient. The therapy is too loud and only worsens the condition of the hyperacusis patient whose Loudness Discomfort Levels have been compromised. To learn more about the sensory problems associated with autism visit this link: http://www.autismtoday.com/adviceforparents.pdf

- Edgar Allan Poe -

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 7:50 pm

Signal jamming... You didnt see me 8)

http://www.instructables.com/answers/Is ... m-fm-radi/

Though if they find out that you're deliberately jamming their signal they may say and threaten unkind words and deeds lol. The chances of them figuring that out are slim to none at any rate. Its a last resort I suppose but your first port should be some decent noise cancelling ear buds. Go for some high end ones. I have cheap ones and tbh theyre useless quality costs

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

edaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm

Hi

i suggest making your own "white noise" inside your own apartment, not to blast the other apartments into submission, but instead to counter what those outdoor festivals have done -- make you sensitive to interior noise.
Perhaps playing something at a comfortable level, that is just loud enough to take your mind off the other's noises and be enjoyable enough to yourself that you can sleep all night with it going. Again, it doesn't have to be loud, i suspect.

It could very well be that with time, you won't even need your own white noise any longer.

Here's to hopin'

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

I have been bothered by a neighbour in the past with similar issues, I found the best method was to play soft classical music on a radio nearest where the noise is entering your home. It certainly was more calming than hearing a CD skip or play repeat of the same song for 6+ hours that he does.