Cannot wait for the 1.8 release of Minecraft!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Do you think this new update will be good?
Absolutely! 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Yes 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
It won't be good or bad. (Neutral) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's gonna suck. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

epiccolton26
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm

After seeing the logs for the snapshot updates, I can't wait to see how the update turns out! :D

Feel free to state your opinion on the matter by replying to this thread.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

I like the fact that there are going to be more types of stone, like granite and andesite. The rabbits should be cute, too!

One thing I think is still seriously underdeveloped is the ocean. It's kind of lonely with nothing but squids swimming around there; it should probably have more life forms than the land! The water temples are at least a step in the right direction.

What are you looking forward to in this update, epiccolton26? Also, is there any word on when it will be coming out? I'm planning to start a new world, and if 1.8 comes out really soon, it would be better to wait until after it comes out to generate it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 5:14 pm

I can confirm that it's all as good as it looks!

Being that I use the snapshots I've been playing with the 1.8 content all this time as each piece was created, and yeah.... this might be the best update yet.

This one does a few things that I've wanted to see in the game since I got into it years ago:

1. More types of stone. Just grey stone EVERYWHERE isnt very interesting and makes every cave ever look the same.

2. A block that can cancel falling damage without being water. The Slime Block does this. It also does about a bazillion other things if you have mastered the art of redstone. THIS is the best example of the sheer amount of ridiculous potential this block has for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08J4C3PdQQ That monstrosity isnt possible in 1.7, that's for sure.

3. OCEAN CONTENT. About. Bloody. TIME. The game hasnt had ANY since it started, except for the very random addition of the squids way back when, and then that was IT. This appears in the form of the Ocean Monuments in this update, which are best described as "endgame content" due to their extreme danger and the requirements for survival (water-breathing and depth striding enchantments, enchanted diamond armor, various healing items, and so on) and the fact that until the Elder Guardians are defeated (there are always 3 of them somewhere in the monument) you cannot dig at the walls of the place. And of course the entire place, inside and out, is totally submerged. This isnt content that you'll reach quickly after starting a new world. It'll take quite some time. The nice thing about these places, aside from just having new ocean mobs, is also that there's a big pile of new blocks and such that you can get from here that are all pretty nice looking.

4. Sponges. These WERE in the game, about a billionty years ago. Thanks to some asshat griefers who found troll-tastic ways of using these on servers, they were removed, though the texture and a non-functional version of the block have existed in the Creative block listing since then. Finally, these are put back, along with their original function, which is... pretty interesting. I can see alot of funky uses for these. The problem? These can only be found in ocean monuments.... and unless you get really lucky and find a sponge room (room with some sponges on the ceiling) the only way to get them is as a drop from the Elder Guardians, each of which is guaranteed to drop 1 sponge block on defeat. Right now, this makes it by far one of the most difficult blocks in the game to get, right up there with the Beacon. Though it takes less luck than the Beacon does.

5. Witches. They ACTUALLY EXIST NOW. They were put into the game a LONG while back. And despite the extreme amount of time I spend with the game.... all of it in survival mode.... I've never, not even ONCE actually seen a single witch in a non-modded world. Not even once. Oh, I've found their stupid huts. Too bad those are rare and GLITCHED so that the witches never spawn there. Now though, they can spawn ANYWHERE. I advise NOT fighting them with a sword. It's an amazingly stupid idea. They can mess you up real bad if they get close. They're the second mob in the game that can hit you with poison.... among other things.

There's too much good stuff to list beyond just this, even. Way too much. It's a huge update, and all of it is good. I cant speak for the rabbits though, as I've yet to encounter the little snots (my 1.8 world didnt start me anywhere near their sort of habitat), but I'm looking for them since they can be used to make potions of jumping, which is another addition I'd wanted in there since forever....

epiccolton26
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2014, 8:13 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
I like the fact that there are going to be more types of stone, like granite and andesite. The rabbits should be cute, too!

One thing I think is still seriously underdeveloped is the ocean. It's kind of lonely with nothing but squids swimming around there; it should probably have more life forms than the land! The water temples are at least a step in the right direction.

What are you looking forward to in this update, epiccolton26? Also, is there any word on when it will be coming out? I'm planning to start a new world, and if 1.8 comes out really soon, it would be better to wait until after it comes out to generate it.

I'm looking forward to the new mobs and variety to the blocks, including the new kinds of doors.

TranzteKk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm

Anyone know when the official update comes out? (Non-Snapshot) Wasn't sure if there was a release date or not.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 8:44 pm

No date as far as I know.

In all honesty though you may as well just grab the snapshot version at this point, as the bugs have been pretty much ironed out a bit. It's no more glitchy than the previous version. And all the new changes and additions are so totally worth it.

AH.

Which reminds me.

I'd forgotten to mention the REAL major thing with this update, that I'm thinking is the BEST thing in it.

After all this time, numerous years now, they've finally, FINALLY gotten around to fixing up the chunk loading bugs. Most people that play the game are VERY familiar with that one. You know, how chunks could take a billion years to load, sometimes even if you were right on or next to them? It led to all sorts of bizarre things such as see-through terrain, or having to stop and wait to go further because you just couldnt see anything in the direction you were headed. They tended to load REALLY SLOWLY.

This is no longer the case. Finally. Not only does everything load fast and correctly, but they actually increased the max view range again as well.

Yet another reason why I consider this to be the best update yet.

I only wish that mods werent still stuck in version 1.6. It takes freaking forever to update them. I have two worlds, one that is in the vanilla version, and another that is in one of the Feed the Beast modpacks, and.... yeah, the modded world will still have this problem and be missing some of the official content, which is pretty annoying.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:34 am

Quick news: The pre-release snapshots are here, meaning that actual release is probably within a couple of weeks.

....and apparently 1.8 has taken an absurd 300 days in development. And THAT is why I use the snapshots, so I can get new content sometime this century.

Though that silly length of time also makes it that much more sad that none of the modpacks have updated past 1.6.4 (argh). In 300 freaking days.

epiccolton26
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2014, 3:54 pm

Misery wrote:
Quick news: The pre-release snapshots are here, meaning that actual release is probably within a couple of weeks.

....and apparently 1.8 has taken an absurd 300 days in development. And THAT is why I use the snapshots, so I can get new content sometime this century.

Though that silly length of time also makes it that much more sad that none of the modpacks have updated past 1.6.4 (argh). In 300 freaking days.

Yeah, I guess the update concepts went through a lot of processing before they stuck with one and developed on it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

epiccolton26 wrote:
Misery wrote:

Yeah, I guess the update concepts went through a lot of processing before they stuck with one and developed on it.

Actually, I think it's exactly the opposite.

One thing I've noticed with Mojang: They cant stick to one idea. At all. Ever.

Even with this update, it's just as with all of the others... there's no underlying theme. Anywhere.

One week, it's time to add some new command block stuff. The next? Underwater doom dungeon! Next? DOORS! And that's how it's been, following snapshots all this time. There's NO WAY to have even the slightest clue what the next will bring, unless they added something the previous week that isnt complete.

And each individual thing doesnt exactly take THAT long to make, either. I think the Ocean Monument and all of it's related stuffs (and there's ALOT OF STUFF in just that one small thing!), including the mobs and such, were all in either a one or two-week cycle. Just BAM, they appeared. And with snapshots, Mojang isnt like, coding stuff off to the side and only letting us touch it when they think it's a good idea.... that's not how snapshots work. So it's never the sort of thing where it's like, oh, they've ACTUALLY been coding this bit over here for a month, and NOW we see it. Nope. In snapshots, we see it even if it's actually not finished, whatever "it" is. Which is why we had rabbits for a time that A: had literally no purpose and didnt drop anything, and B: didnt even make sound effects. They just.... existed, for about a week, before drops were added.

So yeah.... it's pretty screwy overall. Which is another reason I stick to snapshots: When a piece of content is released, it's typically ready to go, right then and there. So it's not like I get this cool thing here, right, that isnt then ACTUALLY finished for a couple of months yet. Nope, they're usually ready to go right as they appear.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 9:32 pm

Ok, so, apparently the release is actually tomorrow, or so I hear.

Before playing it, I strongly suggest looking over the changelog carefully, and going to the game's wiki site, found here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki to look up what each thing is and does.

Pretty much all of the content in this update turned out great, so this is a good way to make sure you dont miss out on anything by not really knowing it's there or how to access it.

You may also want to start a new world with this one, as not only will some things just need new generation to appear, but there's also the fact of the existence of the customization screens for new world gen. You can get some crazy worlds to generate if you know how to manipulate it, and there's a number of presets to mess with, and it's easy to input the parameters for world-types that others have come up with.

Some highlights include worlds that are entirely made up of floating islands, or very rocky worlds with oceans of lava instead of water.

It's one of the best additions. The worldgen being "dull" had been one of the main complaints about the game for.... a long time now, and this completely does away with that. EVERY aspect of the worldgen can be altered here.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm

More news: The 1.8 update is now out and available for download!

Not much to say about it, other than go grab it and start messing with it!

A quick video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZcm1dZk7QA This shows most of the new stuff in this update in a very quick and easy to understand manner. It doesnt show absolutely EVERYTHING.... such as the worldgen customization, or the new stone types (which are detailed in a seperate video), or some of the more technical aspects (ALOT of command block stuffs).

Good video though to make sure that you know what all of the new stuff is though so you dont miss any of it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 8:29 am

Minor thing:

I finally found myself an Ocean Monument (right next to a mushroom biome, which must be statistically so close to impossible as to not make a difference), and.... hoboy. Yeah. "End game content", they are. The last time the devs had said that, they were talking about the End, the Strongholds, and the fight with the dragon. Those though, arent really that tough. Dangerous enough, sure, but not THAT tough.

The monuments are a different matter. Just getting CLOSE to them is dangerous. Really dangerous. It's really easy to tell when you're close to one because you'll start hearing this sound like "bzzzzzzZORK!! !" over and over and over, and you might see squids in the water just randomly vaporizing. Guardians surround the place in hordes, and they're just horrible. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with them is, really. By normal means, it's nearly impossible to get close enough to hit them. Their AI works to keep them far from you, at the limit of their death-ray's range. THEY can move fast in water. YOU move at the speed of a brick in sludge. And this is in open, very deep ocean... there's no walls to press them against so you can get close. And firing arrows wont do it... not in water.

Dealing with the momuments overall REQUIRES that you have a big pile of very specific items in order to have a chance at getting through one. Diamond armor is a must, for one thing. But you also need potions of water-breathing, Depth Strider boots (an enchantment), an Aqua Affinity helmet, potions of night vision, enchanted diamond sword, and probably a few other things. None of it is easy to get, and you need all of it to handle these places. Hell, you need all of that just to GET CLOSE without dying. I havent worked out how to actually deal with the inside of the horrible place.

Pretty neat though. Whole update really did turn out grand, it did.