Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm

"since January 2013, twenty-one American cities have enacted regulations that restrict homeless peoples' access to food."

Treating homeless people like they are feral animals, because of money....

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/food-ra ... e-86678681

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Nov 2014, 10:35 pm

That's just... wow.

Whenever I go into the city I usually buy a few snacks and some food and give them to the first homeless person I run into when I get into town. I usually need to break up money for bus fare anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
That's just... wow.

Whenever I go into the city I usually buy a few snacks and some food and give them to the first homeless person I run into when I get into town. I usually need to break up money for bus fare anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

You should tell the businesses that you buy the snacks and food from that you are buying all off this to give to homeless people. Maybe they will call the police and have you arrested.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm

Those laws are bizarre, and need to be taken up by a higher court which can strike them down. Assuming I'm not hiring a hitman or something it's nobody's concern what I do with my money.

Suppose it's not a stranger, but an old acquaintance I run into who's clearly down on his luck, and I buy him a sandwich and slip him some cash too. Imagine a cop stepping in and saying no, he lives in a shelter now so you're not allowed to do that. It's outrageous.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 6:11 am

a clever WP member suggested that to get around that obscenity of a city ordinance, that the food donaters give each homeless person a penny, then have the homeless person give the penny back as "payment" for the food so it is no longer giving it away. then those no-goodnicks on the city council will just pass another stupid ordinance preventing that, but a guy's gotta try in any case.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:09 am

From what I've read, the thought behind those laws is that if we feed the homeless then they have no incentive to better their situation. Of course, property values might be lowered also.. :roll:

I see this locally as well. Programs to help the homeless are unable to be implemented because of a NIMBY mentality. (Not in my backyard)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 9:32 am

Disgusting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 5:12 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
From what I've read, the thought behind those laws is that if we feed the homeless then they have no incentive to better their situation.

the horatio alger meme at work. IOW the beatings will continue until morale improves.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

08 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm

Those cities would be better off if they enacted programs to give the homeless jobs. Then they would be able to buy their own food.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:18 pm

what is even worse/more cynical on the part of those no-goodnick city council people in various other right-wing cities, is the practice of "greyhound therapy" or clapping the homeless on buses bound for another city as though it was a stupid game of "you got the hot potato now."

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 6:35 pm

Being homeless is no fun. I've been homeless now for about 40 days. I sleep in my car so it's not so bad.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

nick007 wrote:
Those cities would be better off if they enacted programs to give the homeless jobs. Then they would be able to buy their own food.

There are homeless people with jobs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
nick007 wrote:

yes, until seattle enacted the $15 minimum wage it was basically impossible to afford to live there on minimum wage.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

12 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
nick007 wrote:

True but lots can hopefully buy their own food at least.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:48 am

WP's very own ASS-P [he told me to post about him] is struggling right now in seattle, in finding shelter and a steady secure place to stay. he has to walk on diseased feet all over the place to try to find places to eat that won't turn him away. it is very hard, nigh well impossible, to be both homeless and conventionally "presentable." living out in the elements absolutely strips away all physical niceties.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2014, 2:10 am

These laws are stupid, food safety shouldn't be such a concern that you restrict access to the truly needy. If somebody messes up then they should be responsible for it after the fact but who is this really protecting here?