My lack of success isn't anyone else's fault.

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:21 am

Having been here a while, and listened to some very similar themes, churning over and over a in macerated mess of bile and vitriol, I thought I redress the balance a bit.

It is getting a bit old, people blaming other people for their problems. I used to think this way for a time, but then I realized it was silly, becuase I don't have the moral high ground over anyone, nobody is selfless. In doing so, it actually made me more content and less frustrated. Resentment is not attractive, you only torment yourself, and so is a waste of mental energy.

My lack of success is for a variety of reasons, partly becuase I was clueless for a long time, but also I have always kept people at arms length (even my closest friends), this helps me cope better, with plenty of down time. I'm someone who gets a lot out of a little, and too much is too much.

So I have held back over the years, not taken opportunities, becuase I'm not sure I can offer people what they want, and not compromise the lifestyle, which I have found necessary for sanity. I'm pretty stable and reasonably happy, it wasn't always that way, and this is down to lifestyle changes. I'm also not looking for your standard relationship with that kind of dependence, and have radical positions on conventions like marriage.

I would not say it is constant expectation to be in a romantic relationship in my case, but reality is there is subtle, but effective expectation placed on me by some people. I can survive without one technically, but can't lie it would be nice. BUT...only if it is conducive with a low dependency, low maintenance, once or twice a week interaction.

I wonder what people think of this, how realistic is it?

I find average people quite needy, so an actual needy person is like an antithesis to me. I really don't get people who can't spend an hour, day, or week without missing their significant other. I'd almost feel sorry for them. They do have a I hard time understanding people who do not think like this, but I can't blame them for it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

^I miss close friends and family members after not seeing them for a day....so to me it would be weird if I had a significant other not to miss them after a day. Now I wouldn't obsess over it, just acknowledge I miss them and figure out a time to get together at some point and then get on with other stuff....like listening to music.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
^I miss close friends and family members after not seeing them for a day....so to me it would be weird if I had a significant other not to miss them after a day. Now I wouldn't obsess over it, just acknowledge I miss them and figure out a time to get together at some point and then get on with other stuff....like listening to music.

I don't get this feeling after a day. I'm not saying I don't miss people at all, but I don't really feel lonely in the conventional sense.

I think I still get a lot from the previous encounter. I have a set of close friend that I only see once a month if that, it is fine becuase we are all busy.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

What I don't get is people who cannot take a week away from someone who they see quite often. I don't get what the problem is. I'm not criticizing them, I just don't relate that much.

Also I think there is a social aspect to these professions, there is a guy I know who is constantly going on about about missing his girlfriend, and he sees her quite often.

I also really don't get the need to constantly take about "the wife", which is common among men in the UK. Not all that complementary, but regardless I have no interest in knowing.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Having been here a while, and listened to some very similar themes, churning over and over a in macerated mess of bile and vitriol, I thought I redress the balance a bit.

It is getting a bit old, people blaming other people for their problems. I used to think this way for a time, but then I realized it was silly, becuase I don't have the moral high ground over anyone, nobody is selfless. In doing so, it actually made me more content and less frustrated. Resentment is not attractive, you only torment yourself, and so is a waste of mental energy.

My lack of success is for a variety of reasons, partly becuase I was clueless for a long time, but also I have always kept people at arms length (even my closest friends), this helps me cope better, with plenty of down time. I'm someone who gets a lot out of a little, and too much is too much.

So I have held back over the years, not taken opportunities, becuase I'm not sure I can offer people what they want, and not compromise the lifestyle, which I have found necessary for sanity. I'm pretty stable and reasonably happy, it wasn't always that way, and this is down to lifestyle changes. I'm also not looking for your standard relationship with that kind of dependence, and have radical positions on conventions like marriage.

I would not say it is constant expectation to be in a romantic relationship in my case, but reality is there is subtle, but effective expectation placed on me by some people. I can survive without one technically, but can't lie it would be nice. BUT...only if it is conducive with a low dependency, low maintenance, once or twice a week interaction.

I wonder what people think of this, how realistic is it?

I find average people quite needy, so an actual needy person is like an antithesis to me. I really don't get people who can't spend an hour, day, or week without missing their significant other. I'd almost feel sorry for them. They do have a I hard time understanding people who do not think like this, but I can't blame them for it.

I think your post is interesting.

But I don't believe that all peopel are selfish. Of course we all are a little bit selfish, otherwise we would never be able to life and survive.

However, i think it's morally wrong to say that all people are selfish, and by doing so not making a difference in selfishness between individuals. It's obvious that some people are more selfish then others.

Could you say that someone who is living on the streets, because he spend time on helping people and lost a lot of money to be selfish? I know a person like that. I think it would be very unfair to call him selfish, I would even find this extremely unfair.

Some people are even selfless after being bullied against their bullies. It's a little bit liek the stockholm syndrome, being friendly against your kidnapper or having sympathy.

another example is this: a mother of a killed son chose to that the killer of his son does not get dead sentence
I also think this is a selfless act.

Last edited by paxfilosoof on 08 Nov 2014, 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm

Wise duck indeed, good post.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Could you say that someone who is living on the streets, because he spend time on helping people and lost a lot of money to be selfish? I know a person like that. I think it would be very unfair to call him selfish, I would even find this extremely unfair.

Some people are even selfless after being bullied against their bullies. It's a little bit liek the stockholm syndrome, being friendly against your kidnapper or having sympathy.

I think you are missing the point I saying about selfishness.

I'm not saying that people that do charity work are bad people. I have volunteered, and mentor.

What I'm saying is just becuase people do good deed doesn't make them selfless.

They know this from experiment with Functional MRI. People who are charitable get a vary similar response with charitable acts to gambling addicts, and the amorous. In other words it affect the pleasure centres of the brain.

I am not moralizing, that is the point.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 08 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:

I think you are missing the point I saying about selfishness.

I'm not saying that people that do charity work are bad people. I have volunteer, and a mentor.

What I'm saying is just becuase people do good deed doesn't make them selfless.

They know this from experiment with Functional MRI. People who are charitable get a vary similar response with charitable acts to gambling addicts, and the amorous. In other words it affect the pleasure centres of the brain.

I am not moralizing that is the point.

Again it's wrong what you're saying.

It's not because someone like to help people (for example give money to charity) that they are selfish!! !

No fMRI machine can prove that people enjoy giving money to help others because they are selfish.

I enjoy helping other people, and if you say that what I do is selfish, then you are just using selfish in a different meaning.
selfless = doing somethign for other people with disadvantages for yourself

And their are many examples of people offering themself to help people or become poor because they risked all their money to make this society more ethical. All these behaviors are purely selfless, because the person has no advantages of these behaviors.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm

I think again your are moralizing, not really getting what I'm saying.

This topic probably deserves its own thread.

We don't want our loved one to die. Correct? Is this entirely selfless? No becuase, we depend on them, or we like them being around.

Love is not selfless either, each party get quite a bit out of it, form companionship to sex. You cannot say that is selfless. It is mutual satisfaction. If would be bad if only one party got something out of it.

If people who are charitable, literally get their rocks off to it, is not the point. By doing good deeds, they can feel they are doing soemthign good, they are fulfilling a need.

---
BWT you can edit a quote, so you don't nest the previous quotes, and also to can trim it down (so long as you do misrepresent people), as to focus on key points.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I think again your are moralizing, not really getting what I'm saying.

This topic probably deserves its own thread.

We don't want our loved one to die. Correct? Is this entirely selfless? No becuase, we depend on them, or we like them being around.

Love is not selfless either, each party get quite a bit out of it, form companionship to sex. You cannot say that is selfless. It is mutual satisfaction. If would be bad if only one party got something out of it.

If people who are charitable, literally get their rocks off to it, is not the point. By doing good deeds, they can feel they are doing soemthign good, they are fulfilling a need.

---
BWT you can edit a quote, so you don't nest the previous quotes, and also to can trim it down (so long as you do misrepresent people), as to focus on key points.

their are many exmaples of people helping other and offering themselves to help other who they don't even know. Is this selfish? NO

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

I get what you're saying 0, I understand that you're not saying people are consciously doing it for selfish reasons, just that it has an effect on their pleasure centres, now, that's not to say that's the only reason, or the reason they do it at all, but it is a nice side effect for those people either way.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
their are many exmaples of people helping other and offering themselves to help other who they don't even know. Is this selfish? NO

Again you are offering the moral definition of selfish. In that sense you are right. However it cannot be purely selfless, because nothing really is biologically speaking. The fact you don't know the person is irrelevant.

I have made my point, nothing further to add on this. I don't think we are really disagreeing on moral intent.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:
I get what you're saying 0, I understand that you're not saying people are consciously doing it for selfish reasons, just that it has an effect on their pleasure centres, now, that's not to say that's the only reason, or the reason they do it at all, but it is a nice side effect for those people either way.

You have basically got it. Also "pleasure centre" doesn't necessarily have to be the same response, by some kind of emotion or reward, sense of well being, etc. I'm basically arguing that nothing is totally selfless, not that people can't act consciously and morally selflessly.

If others benefit more than you, this is tending toward selfless, but even if the don't, but is purely an internal reaction where they can't lose out that is OK too.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm

Anyway lets get back to he other points in the OP.

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

Yep, I understand. It's just a response, it's part of what makes us human, a social animal, if we got no reward we wouldn't necessarily do it. Same reason people who had less pleasure from sex died out, because there was little to no benefit to them. Humans getting rewards from doing nice things is a good thing, it means we'll do it more. It doesn't matter if it's selfish or not really.

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

I agree, I have had it up to here with people blaming others for their lack of success with people, yes, sometimes people can be cruel and misunderstand or not understand, however, we have to really analyse ourselves as well.

I used to be dreadful in relationships due to aspergers, I had no idea how to treat people and my parents weren't much help, so after my last failed relationship I went and researched and researched what makes a relationship successful, the pitfalls, how to be respectful, this covered a wide range of subjects, psychology, feminism, biology, philosophy, polyamory etc, all of these helped me a lot in understanding how to relationship effectively.

I'd like to help people but first thing they have to do is accept that it's not anyone's fault, however, they do need to change even if that's meeting someone half way.