Which is better for sleep: Living alone or with others?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2014, 2:14 pm

I have noise hypersensitivity on one hand (I don't live alone). On the other hand, I anticipate that living alone would be scary (fear of intruders, fire, etc). I've had insomnia off and on throughout my life. Just wondering which is better for insomnia, living alone or living with others? What has been your personal experience?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

living alone. other people make too much noise.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

Living alone.
I get very agitated at any noises when I am wanting to sleep.
Even living alone, I wear earplugs and have done for a long time.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

If you have insomnia you're likely to bother the person you live with, being up at all hours doing stuff.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

I prefer to sleep alone.

On a date, have sex and then go home -- don't spend the night.

I never have married, but if I was, I would likely want a separate bedroom from my wife.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

For better concentration in studies or work and better sleeping, living alone is better.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

existentialterror wrote:
On the other hand, I anticipate that living alone would be scary (fear of intruders, fire, etc).

I have never lived alone, but I have been home alone for a while, and the nights then are very long. I can't sleep because I fear intruders and will be jolted out of almost sleep. I sleep much better when I hear some sounds around me (within reason). Even if it's just a noisy neighbor, although family is much better. My sleep is so much more relaxed and deep when at least one other family member is home.

So living with family doesn't prevent my sleep.

It would be very different if I had to share room with someone. I would hate that.

When I am awake I wouldn't mind having a bit more time to myself, so I could more easily focus on reading and writing, but I would be very lonely living alone.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

28 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

Cool, dark, quiet, alone. Some like a fan, or some other noise. Not me. I'm not scared either. I sleep with a colt 45 close buy. takes my fears away. If I was afraid if fires, I would sleep with a fire extinguisher, but I'm not.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm

Living alone. Half the reason I want to get my own place is so that I don't have to conform to someone else's sleep schedule.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm

I'm gonna say, living alone....it used to be that when I was really little, I had really bad anxiety during the night unless I could actually see or hear my parents going about their business in the house, after they put me to bed. I had this irrational fear that they were going to go somewhere and leave me by myself in the house at night.

These days, however, I don't need other human beings to feel safe and secure at night...that's what my plushies are for! I sleep with a few of my favorites lined up alongside my bed, and with a small one clutched in my hand, I fall right to sleep. What more does a girl need? Roommates who wake you from a sound sleep complaining that you make weird noises are hardly conducive to a good nights' sleep, either.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 4:07 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I have never lived alone, but I have been home alone for a while, and the nights then are very long. I can't sleep because I fear intruders and will be jolted out of almost sleep. I sleep much better when I hear some sounds around me (within reason). Even if it's just a noisy neighbor, although family is much better.

In the summertime, we have plenty of noise:
1) irrigation engines -- There are several irrigation engines around and the noise carries quite a distance. We had one when I was a kid about 3/4 mile from the house and it would drone all night.
2) gas plant -- There is a large gas plant (natural gas and helium) about 7 miles away. They can be pretty noisy at times -- noisy enough to wake me up from a good sleep.
3) livestock -- Cattle and horses usually don't bother me much.
4) dogs barking -- Fortunately, we just have the one dog, Whiskey, and he doesn't bark much.
5) coyotes -- I usually don't hear them. Whiskey does a decent job of scaring them away.
6) frogs -- When there is water in the pond about 600 feet from the house, the frogs make quite a bit of noise. They're really kind of soothing, though.
7) spray planes/crop dusters -- They like to spray early in the morning when the wind is minimal and make a big racket doing it. This is probably the most aggravating for me.
8) highway traffic -- There is a highway half a mile away. If I'm not asleep the sound of a truck going by can bring me a bit further from falling asleep, but if I'm already asleep they don't seem to bother me.
9) the water well -- It's about twenty feet from the house and easy to hear.

As for noisy neighbors, that isn't a problem. My nearest neighbor is my oldest brother and his wife -- they don't make any noise. Not counting him, the nearest neighbors are all at least half a mile away. The nearest neighbor where at least one member of the household is under the age of 50 is about two miles away.

For what it's worth, when I was a kid I liked to sleep in really cold weather with the windows open, especially when it is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The only heat in the house was from the gas stove in the living room and we would turn it off at night. There was no plumbing of any kind upstairs to worry about freezing. So it didn't matter at all if it was 20 degrees or colder in my bedroom. Getting up in the morning, I would grab my clothes and head downstairs full speed to get dressed.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 4:48 am

Insomnia is the least of my worries when it comes to living with someone..

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

Alone for sure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 3:07 am

eric76 wrote:
I never have married, but if I was, I would likely want a separate bedroom from my wife.

^^^
THIS

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

I read something rather surprising a few years ago in an article about the White House. The White House apparently has separate bedrooms for the President and First Lady and the first President and First Lady to forgo that and sleep together in one bedroom was George H. W. and Barbara Bush.

I have no idea if the article was accurate, but it is an interesting thought.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

Live alone, sleep alone, quiet, dark when I want it to be dark, and I figured a long time ago intruders aren't after anything that I have, which isn't much.