Are you ok (or ok-ish) with eye contact?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mel113
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2014, 11:27 am

This is the one thing that makes me wonder if I don't have aspergers. But I like the colors in peoples iris' =x

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm

Yes. I'm perfectly ok with eye contact if I don't have to speak.

greenfivenine
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

I am ok-ish with eye contact, I think. I make occasional eye-contact when I am talking to people but look away a lot as it is difficult to concentrate on both. I used to work behind the counter in a cafe and sometimes didn't look at the customers' faces all day (sometimes I'd serve people I knew without realising). When I'm listening I don't make eye contact much as it is distracting. I make eye contact but don't really hold it for more than a fraction of a second.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

I'm very uncomfortable with it. I don't think I'll ever master it properly.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

I hate it as well. I've found the advice about looking at the other person's nose or mouth while conversing with them quite useful.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 1:04 pm

It depends. Depends on who the other person is, how comfortable I am, what kind of mood I'm in etc. Sometimes it's perfectly OK (though I quite often don't really look at people when I talk to them) and other times eye contact is like trying to push the same poles of two magnets against each other.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

I am not ok with eye contact I try to make I contact because it's seen as 'normal' however when the person looks at me back my eyes normally dart off somewhere. When I normally talk to someone my eyes are normally looking at the ceiling even in more comforting environments I don't normally look at people when I talk it's not that I'm trying to be rude....it's just how it is. :?

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 2:13 pm

I actually have never had much issues with eye contact. Perhaps when I was younger but ever since 10th grade or so I'm really not bad at all with it. Actually, I enjoy looking at people's eyes for some reason.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

Eye contact with total strangers is very uncomfortable for me. I worked in a coffee shop and disliked all the impatient customers and feeling like I had to force myself to make eye contact with them. I was afraid they would see in my eyes that I didn't like them.

I have less trouble making eye contact with people I know. I notice at my doctor's for example, when I am talking I always look down or away, but when he is talking, because he is saying something important and/or interesting, I can look him in the eyes pretty well.

If someone I know is saying something that doesn't interest me, I don't usually make eye contact. Like someone else said, it's not me trying to be rude, its just the way it is.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 12:42 am

I'm not OK-ish at all.

Happycampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 1:15 am

Absolutely terrible with anyone who isn't family.

mel113
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2014, 1:53 am

Hansgrohe wrote:
Actually, I enjoy looking at people's eyes for some reason.

Meee too! I like the colors o.0

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 2:27 am

I don't like making eye contact at all, even with family. It just doesn't feel natural to do so.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

I'm fine with eye contact now, but in the past I found no reason to do it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 2:35 am

I don't mind it... but I rarely end up with actual eye contact, since I often wear sunglasses. But if I don't have them on, I'm fine with it.

The thing with me and eye contact is that I tend to make others uncomfortable quite often. Suppose I got a certain "stare" to it, that goes with the rest of my expressionless face... people probably just dont'know what to make of it, lol.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 5:29 am

i have found ways around it; my psuedo-eyecontact is at such a level that i need to tell someone what i'm doing and then still fake less proficiently before they have a chance to notice.

the only people that i can have true eyecontact with are those that i really trust; which are my parents and my girlfriend. all others i 'fake' with