wanting to ask socially unacceptable questions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

mel113
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

I have all these questions burning a hole in my head (figuratively speaking) that I can't ask because its rude or controversial DX
I'm sure I'm not the only one... So how do you deal? If you ask, how do you go about making sure people understand that its an innocent question and nothing more?

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

mel113 wrote:
I have all these questions burning a hole in my head (figuratively speaking) that I can't ask because its rude or controversial DX
I'm sure I'm not the only one... So how do you deal? If you ask, how do you go about making sure people understand that its an innocent question and nothing more?

It's very much likely to depend on exactly what the questions are along with what makes them rude or controversial.

mel113
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2014, 11:59 pm

When i want to ask why people of different colored skin that have lived in america for hundreds of years have different cultures (in many cases). Or when someone is physically disabled and i want to know what's wrong. I feel like if i ask these questions, my intentions will become lost because i don't ask the "right" way.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

Yeah, I often feel this way. You kinda have to have charisma/charm to get way with asking those sorts of things. I don't have charm, so most of the time I hold back and feel frustrated with society for being so reserved.

Or I get drunk with them and ask them then.

mel113
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2014, 12:37 am

yea..charisma...i lack it.... i had a friend who was very charming. i kept telling him to teach me his jedi ways XD

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:10 am

Ask google. Google doesn't care about the social acceptability of your questions although your wording will affect the type of links it finds for you. Just type your question into google and see what pops up.

Siamese
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

mel113 wrote:
When i want to ask why people of different colored skin that have lived in america for hundreds of years have different cultures (in many cases). Or when someone is physically disabled and i want to know what's wrong. I feel like if i ask these questions, my intentions will become lost because i don't ask the "right" way.

It's kind of about what you are and less about charisma. It's like how black comedians can get away with saying more racist things than any other type of comedians. I am assuming that you are probably white, correct me if I am wrong. But from my experiences other races tend to think that white people are racist in general, so if a white person says anything that seems remotely racist, then people jump all over them. If you don't have the physical disability, people think you are just being a jerk if you ask what happened.

So just don't say or ask anything at all and try to find something else to do to distract you, that way the urge to ask these questions and the curiosity will subside and you'll feel better.

Oh yeah, and don't RESEARCH these things like Google or yahoo searches because it will just make you think about it more. And if you do research them, it becomes more like a do not touch sign which just compels you to ask these types of questions is real life.

mel113
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2014, 6:10 pm

Yea I'm white, but I think I'm gonna ask about cultural differences anyway because there's a girl at my work who's known me for a year and kinda knows who I am as a person. She's black and she's very smart and seems like the kind of person I might be able to discuss this with over a cup of coffee or something soit dodoesn't interfere with work. If anything I'll ask a professor at my college.
I think people should be asking these questions anyway. Maybe if more people would ask their would be less racist/prejudice people.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

There are people with some kind of charismatic element to their personality that enables them to get away with pretty much anything, regardless of their race etc. Your typical NT can't but your super-charismatic one somehow can.

chris4autismrights
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm

I always want to ask cultural questions to South Asian (my favourite culture) people and that makes things very awkward. I just avoid discussing it