Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 9:51 am

I thought it would be a good aside to the Fictional Aspies post to do one about people in history who have been noticed to have Aspergian or HFA characteristics.

So, to start off the list:

1. Albert Einstein (think most everyone is familiar that he may have been HFA.)

2. Ludwig Wittgenstein (In case anyone's not familiar, he was a 20th century philosopher who was big on Language Philosophy)

3. Nikola Tesla (This one is just my opinion from what I have read about him. The Einstein and Wittgenstein ones were from books/articles I had read once upon a time.)

Any suggestions??

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 11:13 am

How did you comeup with Einstein being
HFA? I am not a science expert so I paid
little attention to his character.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2005, 12:31 pm

I read that Steven Spielberg is officially diagnosed and out about being aspie.
Also, Keanu Reeves mentionned it quickly in an interview a couple years ago.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 1:11 pm

In Elijah's Cup they mention Andy Warhol - with some very good quotes that support the theory . . . in fact, I'm using several of them to introduce chapters in my book . . .

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 1:25 pm

I will bet on Jim Carrey being one.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2005, 2:25 pm

I'd put money on Robin Williams.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2005, 2:51 pm

KingChaosNinja wrote:
I'd put money on Robin Williams.

I wouldn't. I have met him a few times. He was originally going to play the role based on me. I met him at Dreamworks in 1996 and again at the World Premiere of "Patch Adams" in 1998.

Robin is very interested in AS though. He has publicly stated that "Sy, the Photo Guy" from "One Hour Photo" has asperger's which explained the obvious social boundary problems of the character.

Jerry Newport

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 2:55 pm

I still think Johnny Depp is an Aspie.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 3:52 pm

I think Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and a few others including Isaac Newton were Aspies due to their behaviour.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 4:20 pm

Einstein was AS.

Also, Beetoven, Bella Bartok, and probably Bill Gates.

Does anybody know if it's true that Stephen Hawking has AS?

I think Robin Williams is just extremely hyper.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 7:35 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 7:44 pm

Robin Williams is Bipolar.

Dan Aykroyd is mild Aspie.

Keanu Reeves I don't believe ever claimed to be Aspie.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 7:49 pm

It's my understanding, at least if Albert Einstein would have been diagnosed in the United States, he would have been dx with High-Functioning Autism simply because he had a good amout of language delay. But this is hearsay from ASD books and from a seminar I went to on AS/HFA/NLD.

But Einstein could certainly be catergorized as Aspergian if he had been dx in the UK or elsewhere. He seemed more AS than HFA. But in US, he would have gotten HFA label because of some of his language delay.

I think there has been a lot of rumour that Robin Williams is Bipolar. I don't know if he has ever been officially dx with it though.

I also firmly believe that the Una Bomber, Ted Kaczynski, has Aspergers and NOT Schizophrenia. If you study his etiology, it seems obvious enough to me he is AS: extreme social difficulties, intelligent, signs of Sensory Processing Disorder, very narrow interests which were especially odd for his age (though not necessarily for his level of intelligence).

I came across a section on him in Strange Brains and Genius by Clifford A. Pickover which is an awesome book and I recommend to anyone. I suggest reading it and seeing how many of the men (yes, the author only included men in the book, who are all now dead except for Kaczynski) remind you of perfect pictures of Aspergers Syndrome. And I'm not just talking intelligent and creative men. There is a lot of social isolation, odd behaviors, sensory difficulties, and loads of other things in the book. I was amazed at how many very well fit the criteria from the information that was given. For each subject, it also helpfully gives a bit of background on his childhood, teenage years, and adulthood aside from his work.

Even though the author attempts to attribute these men's success, etc., to mental illness, I don't think the author was aware of AS or HFA. But honestly, read it. I couldn't put it down. And come to your own conclusions: Strange Brains and Genius

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 7:51 pm

I've never heard anything regarding Stephen Hawking. But knowing a bit about him, I wouldn't be surprised.

platypus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2005, 8:08 pm

Sophist,

Yeah, I think Ted Kaczynski might have Asperger's as well. I also have the book Strange Brains and Genius. If I recall correctly, there's a short paragraph about autism in the back.

Since you know about serial killers, do you think John List might have Asperger's? He fits a lot of the criteria, although he's officially been diagnosed with OCD.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 8:14 pm

Hmmm... I would have to go over John List again...

*getting out Serial Killer Encyclodpedia*...