Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:09 am

I apologize if this topic has been done before (if so, my mistake).

My major phobia is thunderstorms. I have no idea why, but I absolutely get into a panic when one is happening, even if it is a light thundershower with no possibility of any damage to anything outside. My other "strange" phobias would be

- Falling asleep at certain times; woken up to panic attacks at certain times of the night and had family medical emergencies at night as well
- Escalators; I really don't get this one. I used to be good but they kind of freak me out now

What about you guys / gals?

Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:42 am

yes. if i've never eaten a food before, i can't pull myself to do it. that includes very simple things, too. :?

Shelldor2015
Raven
Raven

Location: In a Bob Ross painting looking at pretty little clouds and talking to happy little trees.

26 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

Yes. I have a lot of them. In no particular order;

Spiders
Snakes
Loud or Sudden Noises
Large Dogs until I get to know them
Crowds
Children
Failure

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

AQ 46

"If there is a 50-50 chance something will go wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will" Paul Harvey

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:11 am

I've been very afraid of many things ever since I was a very young child. I have three full-blown phobias: arachnophobia (fear of spiders), aviophobia/aerophobia (fear of flying) and social phobia. I'm scared of other things as well. Examples: certain bridges, going to the dentist, insects. Also, I'm terrified of failure.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

I'm terrified of failure, too. That's why I don't even try.

I have a mild phobia of elevators. I have read about some gruesome accidents caused by elevators.

I'm scared of ceiling fans, too. I fear that a spinning fan blade might fall and decapitate whoever happens to be there.

I'm also scared of chaos. In order to avoid creating chaos, I try not to start doing things. As a result, nothing gets done.

I'm scared of germs and chemicals, too.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:02 am

Don't know if it counts as a phobia, but I'm often haunted by a strong feeling that I'm unwittingly "fiddling while Rome burns," i.e. I feel there must be some very important things I really need to get done instead of whatever I'm actually doing, and the consequences of ignoring those things will be terrible. An irrational or greatly exaggerated fear of wasting time.

I guess it's partly rational. I don't have the kind of executive function necessary to keep a good overview of my activities, and my hyperfocus makes me prone to get sucked into the detail of tasks to a ridiculous extreme, at the expense of efficiency. But for all that, the important things get done in time and my life doesn't collapse. So it really shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:25 am

I've gone-through quite a few phobias, in my younger days, but have gotten-over most of them. The one I'm still having problems with, is one others have mentioned: loud / sudden noises. I actually heard one of those air-horns (or, whatever they're called), one time, and FAINTED, cuz it scared me, so badly. Also, I used to have a phone that, when it rang, caused me to have a seizure.

Another one that I had, last year, was NOT the fear of failing, as others have said, but, the fear of SUCCEEDING. I was dragging my feet about looking for a job, because I was afraid of getting one, and I quite liked being able to do exactly as I wanted to do, with no one saying anything about it. I'm glad I got over THAT one----the bills were piling-up!!

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2014, 11:29 am

I have a huge fear of circles(tripophobia).

I may have spelled that incorrectly.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2014, 11:31 am

Shelldor2015 wrote:
Yes. I have a lot of them. In no particular order;

Spiders
Snakes
Loud or Sudden Noises
Large Dogs until I get to know them
Crowds
Children
Failure

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I am scared of this stuff too. But the dogs, I feel the same way. If I get used to the large dog and he/she is used to me, its cool.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm

One of them is irrational fear of Fire (Pyrophobia/arsonphobia)

BrutalMetalDood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2014, 1:41 pm

I have a very mild case of trypophobia(small hole clusters). I say mild because most things don't bother me..like pictures of bee hives. Let me see a picture of a Epiphytic Orchid though, and it'll make me feel like my skin is crawling.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:48 pm

Not me, but my cousin has one of the strangest ones I've ever heard of… she has a phobia of midgets. Seriously. She gets a little freaked out when she sees a little person in public and it makes me LOL.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:54 pm

I have a phobia of Subway sandwich shops. There's something intimidating about constructing a sandwich -- too many choices! Then there's the added anxiety of the people waiting behind you. I just don't need it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm

I used to have a phobia of glowing things. I still haven't completely got over it. Glow-in-the-dark stuff is creepy.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 1:59 pm

Very charismatic people and psychopaths.

Driving under a train track with a real train on it.

Driving on a highway with another highway directly above and parallel.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 2:18 pm

Skeletons and aliens.

Needless to say I never took biology in school or watched that "Alien Autopsy" movie.