Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:51 am

Any of you ever read books by McCarthy or seen the few film adaptations?

I've read The Road, Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West, and know a fair amount about No Country for Old Men. I got Outer Darkness for Christmas this year, I know nothing about it but it will probably be good.

The first book of his I read was The Road, a year or two before the film came out. I hold many deeply personal feelings with that book. Sometimes I picture my own life as plodding down a road amid complete desolation in search of anything of happiness or meaning. I liked the film adaptation a lot as well, Viggo Mortenson is a personal favorite actor of mine and he fit the Man perfectly.

I read Blood Meridian a few months ago, deeply disturbing, but entirely necessary. Judge Holden.....a man who it pains me to know actually existed in similar form in real life.

RickyRaccoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Dec 2014, 9:23 am

I love McCarthy. I never thought I'd be a fan of that kind of Western literature until I read Blood Meridian---so dark and thought provoking. I've seen No Country. And I've seen All the Pretty Horses and am working on reading that one.

I don't remember if it was only for a little bit, but McCarthy lived in El Paso, TX and would frequent the town where I went to college, though I never met him. He is a super interesting man if you ever get a chance to find any type of interview with him.

Last I heard, James Franco owned the film rights for Blood Meridian. Not sure anything will come of that, but regardless of how you feel about Franco, you gotta be all WAT?!

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:53 pm

Yeah I've heard similar things about Franko, except I think he ended up losing the rights so I don't think its going to happen anymore. Shame, although apparently he made Child of God, another McCarthy book, and that didn't do so well, so maybe its for the best.

I think Blood Meridian is the first "western" I've read as well actually. I read somewhere that it was called the Ultimate Western. Judge Holden really scares me, especially since I'm really into stuff like Geology and Archaeology myself.

I've heard that McCarthy is pretty scant on doing any interviews.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm

I made a quick doodle of the Judge a few months back near the end of my reading of book.

RickyRaccoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2014, 1:52 am

I like the perception piece! There's a pretty cool interview of him with Oprah. (of course Oprah can get anyone to agree to an interview.) You might be able to find it on YouTube.

I also found the character of Holden intriguing. I thought all the characters were pretty interesting. And even more so with the Judge since he's based off a real person. The whole there and then not there or of him always in the background was one thing that really got me about him.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 2:53 am

blood meridian has been sitting unopened on my coffee table. on hearing what you all have to say, the book gets started tomorrow.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 3:16 am

cathylynn wrote:
blood meridian has been sitting unopened on my coffee table. on hearing what you all have to say, the book gets started tomorrow.

It's a heavy brutal read, good luck

The Gift
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

I love the adaptation of No Country for Old Men that the Coen brothers unleashed. It's got to be one of the most bleak, yet undeniably engaging crime thrillers I've ever seen. I have McCarthy's novel, and I got Ridley Scott's The Counselor for Christmas. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the latter, but I'll make up my own mind when I see the film for myself.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2014, 3:29 am

I have read 'Child of God.' It is very dark and unpleasant, yet convincing and human. Not the sort of thing I would read every day, though.

They made a movie for that book too. I heard it was really good but I haven't seen it.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:35 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
I have read 'Child of God.' It is very dark and unpleasant, yet convincing and human. Not the sort of thing I would read every day, though.

They made a movie for that book too. I heard it was really good but I haven't seen it.

I'm still trying to work up the courage to read that book. I heard the movie did badly, but maybe that's just because the critics who judged it just couldn't handle it. I might watch it after I read the book.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:37 am

The Gift wrote:
I love the adaptation of No Country for Old Men that the Coen brothers unleashed. It's got to be one of the most bleak, yet undeniably engaging crime thrillers I've ever seen. I have McCarthy's novel, and I got Ridley Scott's The Counselor for Christmas. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the latter, but I'll make up my own mind when I see the film for myself.

I've watched most of it, surprised I've never sat down and did a full viewing. Air compressor is terrifying.