Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:19 am

Found this. Was shocked at first but I like how it puts the responsibility for rape prevention back on the man:

1 Don't put drugs in women's drinks.

2 When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.

3 If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.

4 If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don't rape her.

5 When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.

6 Never creep into a woman's home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.

7 Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.

8 Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.

9 Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.

10 Don't forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don't pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don't communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.

The original blog can be found here http://canyourelate.org/2011/05/24/rape-prevention-tips/

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

Over 99 per cent of the adult male population have no problem respecting women. It's that less than 1% of the male population that you have to worry about.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:26 am

progaspie wrote:
Over 99 per cent of the adult male population have no problem respecting women. It's that less than 1% of the male population that you have to worry about.
So how does that justify the claim that "All men are rapists"?

Yes, this is a Strawman argument, but it's something that you might hear from Ms. Strawman, especially if she's not one of the more than 99% of women who actually like men (e.g., the less than 1% of women who obsessively engage is misandric man-bashing).

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:35 am

Raleigh wrote:
Found this. Was shocked at first but I like how it puts the responsibility for rape prevention back on the man:

http://canyourelate.org/2011/05/24/rape-prevention-tips/

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of the thread here where someone substituted "autism speaks" for "autism" in the "autism will eat your babies" video from autism speaks... very funny and great way of showing what a load of bollocks the original is.

There is no misandry there that I could detect, Fnord, certainly no claim that all men are rapists. It's just an inversion of the typical language.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 10:09 am

This article is four years old. No wonder it is so childish.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 11:41 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:

:D nice one.
Though I disagree with the sentiment, I appreciate that you saw the opportunity and took it

DSR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:

I'm childish, I guess... 'Cause I laughed hard on this one :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

I thought it was funny. I knew it was a joke because we are always telling women how to stay safe and avoid being the victim so someone turned it around and it was now telling guys how not to be a rapist. I do hear people talking about how men should be taught to not rape and I honestly think some are really that stupid so they have to be actually taught that.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:56 pm

What cheek that article has, it is ridiculous, if it prevents one capitol crime I will eat my hat. :roll:

If you want real rape prevention how about women practicing their right to concealed carry of firearms. The areas of the country with the highest rate of gun ownership have the lowest crime rate.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

That was pretty hilarious, I love it :) it's a useful reminder too. Raping people is bad!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

RichardJ wrote:
What cheek that article has, it is ridiculous, if it prevents one capitol crime I will eat my hat. :roll:

If you want real rape prevention how about women practicing their right to concealed carry of firearms. The areas of the country with the highest rate of gun ownership have the lowest crime rate.

It's not intended to prevent rape, it's meant to be a parody.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

Yep, well... there is an incredibly small amount of men who commit rape. The majority of those who commit rape are not going to be affected by this at all, they are irredeemably and incapable of rehabilitation in most cases.
What this article is parodying is pretty sh*tty as it completely distorts the nature of the situation in ways that are beneficial to no one.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Yep, well... there is an incredibly small amount of men who commit rape. The majority of those who commit rape are not going to be affected by this at all, they are irredeemably and incapable of rehabilitation in most cases.
What this article is parodying is pretty sh*tty as it completely distorts the nature of the situation in ways that are beneficial to no one.

What do you mean, it's parodying articles that give "tips" to women on how to avoid getting raped. A lot of those "tips" come out as victim-blaming, so the parody is meant to put the responsibility back on the perps where it belongs. Of course rapists are not going to be affected by it but the point they're trying to make is that the rapists are the one who should be blamed, not the rape victims.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm

Jono wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

What do you mean, it's parodying articles that give "tips" to women on how to avoid getting raped. A lot of those "tips" come out as victim-blaming, so the parody is meant to put the responsibility back on the perps where it belongs. Of course rapists are not going to be affected by it but the point they're trying to make is that the rapists are the one who should be blamed, not the rape victims.

Obviously, I have no idea what is going on. I see flyers like this article on my college campus all the time and taken completely seriously - we are expected to take it seriously not as a parody... just drop out the last two tips and it's almost exactly the same. I thought it was attempting to parody those.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2015, 4:28 pm

Found this list funny.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

Raleigh wrote:

1 Don't put drugs in women's drinks.

2 When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.

3 If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.

4 If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don't rape her.

5 When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.

6 Never creep into a woman's home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.

7 Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.

8 Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.

9 Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.

10 Don't forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don't pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don't communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.

The original blog can be found here http://canyourelate.org/2011/05/24/rape-prevention-tips/

This should be "10 tips for rapists". Placing responsibility on the man certainly makes you look good, but IRL it has little to no effect on rape prevention. Rapists do what they do often knowing full well that it's wrong, as well as illegal, because they think they can get away with it.