your beautiful experiences because of autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm

In school most of the time I did spent recess alone in the bushes at the side of the sportfield, which were behind the schoolyard.
One day when I was 13 years old, I was again there in recess and I heard a "meouw" and there was a little cat, about 4 month old and she was badly hurt at the tip of her tail, there was no more flesh, it was bloody and 2 or 3 vertebras showed, so I took her, because I wanted to take her home and I walked across the sportfield which was quite empty and after across the schoolyard with the cat in my arms and more and more kids assembled around me which I never had spoken to or even realized, and they were quietly guiding me to the principals office and the teachers called a vet immediately so the cat was being taken care of and because I lived in a small town, the local press was called and they took a photo of me and the cat for the newspaper writing that I have saved her life.
The cat came to a good home.
This happened because of my autism, because of my autism I did spent recess in the bushes watching the leaves and little animals, and there I have found the little cat.

Share your beautiful experiences of being autistic.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

Awww! I haz zeee warm fuzzies!

CanisHumanis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2015, 5:11 am

I'd say being able to see (and hear) from an animal's point of view.

I just got 3 baby ducks a week ago. When I raise them, I put them in a small brooder cage which has a screened front, and set it up high so I can get really close and visit with them at eye level. I've found this works great to connect with them instead of being this huge giant towering over them from the top.

They are so tame now. They talk to me when I'm in the other room and like to nibble my nose when I'm up close.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 7:07 pm

I go often to the theater to do my morning training in classical ballet and I also do volunteer work there, but not only me with neurological difference there, there is a guy with severe ADHA and a guy with intellectual disability, and my autistic friend, and he is a genius in movement, he is choreographer there.
And in october last year a cat came into the theater and she stayed even though there can be many people at moments of performances.
Saturday night (about 14 hours ago) she gave birth to 3 tinylittle cute kittens :heart:
She chose a box in an atelier where costumes hang.
When I come to her she trusts me in the way that she leaves me alone with her newborn kittens to go to eat and to drink and I can pet her lying in the box with the kittens (but I do not touch the kittens yet).
In fact when I enter the atelier and I call her my name for her (which is not her real name, but how I call her since I saw her first time), I can hear her start puuuuring.
The people in the theater say that I have to take care of her, because they know that I love cats, and I really love her and the little ones.
And I do take care, I visit her every day and give her food and water, and clean her litter and pet her.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 7:10 pm

You really do lots of nice things, Eloa. You're fulfilling your objective as a person quite well.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 5:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You really do lots of nice things, Eloa. You're fulfilling your objective as a person quite well.

It requires a lot of me, because oftentimes I "fall out of everything" and need a lot of time to recover and to me "start all over from nothingness".
I also got diagnosed lately with profound "identity diffusion" as being an autistic symptom (clarified as having "no sense of self"), which leads to permanent desorientation being among other human beings, but I have not read a lot about identity diffusion on here, so I don't know if it is an autistic symptom or something else.
But I try as hard as I can to make sense of myself and what is surrounding me.
And the kittens are fine, they are 5 days old now and they grew already a bit, two are greyish-black-white and one has the same colours but with brown stripes.

But my question was about beautiful experiences about autism.
I think I mean where a difference in a beautiful sense happened because of autistic perception.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 5:57 pm

Temple Grandin has had lots of beautiful experiences with her autistic perception. She is able to remember her life like it's a movie--like there's movie slides--and she could manipulate them at will.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Temple Grandin has had lots of beautiful experiences with her autistic perception. She is able to remember her life like it's a movie--like there's movie slides--and she could manipulate them at will.

I know, I read two books of her.
Though I do not understand at the moment what you mean by "she could manipulate them at will".
Do you had/have beautiful experiences because of autistic perception?
Like making a difference, as temple Grandin made a lot of difference to cattle life, but I do not even mean in huge proportions, like what I was writing in post #1 was no world-changing thing but a cat getting cured and finding a home.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:26 pm

And it's beautiful what CanisHumanis is writing as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:26 pm

I've had beautiful experiences via autistic perception--but they were all individual in nature, and didn't help anyone else.

I've helped people before--but I had to use my "human" perception for that. Perhaps, the fact that I'm autistic enabled me to help these people, rather than reject those people.

As for my affinity for animals: My best friend when I was a teenager was a Persian cat named Zum Zum. She was very supportive when I was sad (despite the fact that she was so spoilt!) She was stubborn, though, and didn't like getting brush (she needed to be brushed because she was a longhair.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:45 pm

From what others have described vs. my own experiences, I tend to believe that ASD has allowed me to experience psilocybin in far more intense and beautiful ways than my NT peers. 8) :D

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've had beautiful experiences via autistic perception--but they were all individual in nature, and didn't help anyone else.

I've helped people before--but I had to use my "human" perception for that. Perhaps, the fact that I'm autistic enabled me to help these people, rather than reject those people.

As for my affinity for animals: My best friend when I was a teenager was a Persian cat named Zum Zum. She was very supportive when I was sad (despite the fact that she was so spoilt!) She was stubborn, though, and didn't like getting brush (she needed to be brushed because she was a longhair.

It's beautiful what you write.
How do you differenciate "autistic perception" and "human perception"?

I read an autobiography of a German autistic woman and she got an affinity for pigeons and let them stay at her house and she got very close with one of them.
When I lived with my autistic former house mate and now friend we had a balcony and a pigeon couple came to live there.
We let them stay there and they got 2 babies.
Everyone was judging us because the balcony was not accessable anymore (lots of pigeon-shit), and people thought like when you own a balcony you have to use it but we did not use it for us but left it to the pigeon family.
I read another autobiography of an American autistic woman who came very close to Gorillas and had wonderful experiences and she could observe them like noone could.
What she did write about one Gorilla, the way he was, it was like he was pure living from his heart, more like human being in forgiveness.
It seems often that autistic people and animals have a strong understanding.
Like KingdomOfRats who did write here had with her chickens as well.

But though I was writing and am writing about animals I do not only mean in relation to animals.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
From what others have described vs. my own experiences, I tend to believe that ASD has allowed me to experience psilocybin in far more intense and beautiful ways than my NT peers. 8) :D

I am sorry, I do not understand "to experience psilocybin".

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:05 pm

Eloa wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I am sorry, I do not understand "to experience psilocybin".

..magic mushrooms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:06 pm

I believe "autistic perception," most of the time, is a subtype of "human perception."

There are times, though, when "autistic perception" acquires a "nonhuman" quality, which is totally separate from that which is "human." It might be something that someone finds difficult to explain using purely words--but when the person or animal are experiencing it, experiencing a mutual "togetherness", that person and animal JUST KNOW IT, UNCONDITIONALLY. Both are impervious to criticism and skepticism, despite the lack of ability to verbalize the nature of the "togetherness."

You explained your affinity with pigeons quite well, actually. You were able to translate what is instinctual, "animal," and nonverbal into human and verbal form. Possibly, this is an autistic attribute.

Making use of words, for the most part, is a strictly human function.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:43 pm

My most beautiful experiences with autism would have to be when I am swimming underwater. Holding my breath and just letting your heart rate slow way down and just feeling the water slide against your skin while you feel like your flying around in a weightless-silent world.