Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mrdecc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 2:46 pm

Just to keep up to date ...I have received my community psychiatric nurse appointment, naturally he wanted to discuss the meeting with me (requesting that my wife hand the phone over to a shaking, twitching, head scratching me)...Of course I struggled ..as per usual.... so its only been roughly a week from the first doctors appointment..which isn't bad ..my appointment will be on the 27th march...my wife has been compiling notes and following all procedures suggested by the 'autistic society' literature that they send out...I am very concerned that my involuntary cracks ups will be perceived as a mental breakdown....any guidance will always be appreciated 8O

krex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 4:53 pm

AS often has co-morbid conditions caused in part to living with unDXed AS for many years.(I had several mental health interventions over the years,one was actually a "psychotic break" brought on by overload)It wont exclude you from AS if the AS traits were there in childhood.I think as much info as you can get about your childhood is very helpful.That is what my psych stressed.My mother had told me several "odd" things from my childhood.....my hiding during my birthday party and ignoring the other kids,saying things tasted or smelled "funny".Not responding to her and going into my room to be alone when she tried to talk to me.(mostly this was to cry in private because she did not approve of my crying during meltdowns.)

Anyway,relax,it isnt as scary as it seems and the wife will be a great support(I brought my boyfriend,big help when I would just fall silent and feel overwhelmed and confused.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

eromi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 5:06 pm

hi mrdecc, i havent reallh got any advice but just to say I hope that the psychy nurse can offer you some practical tips. Eromi

mrdecc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 5:14 pm

Unfortunately my mother spent most of my childhood trying to make sense of her divorce from my undiagnosed AS father... which had the rather unlucky effect of her hating and rejecting with great force what she considered traits of my fathers revealing themselves in me.....so my more eccentric bents had been forcibly suppressed for a long time (which naturally led on to the periodic mental breakdowns peppered throughout my teenage, early, present up until a few years ago adulthood )...on reflection she acknowledges that things were not 'normal' with me and feels bad about not recognising the symptoms.....my wife will be on hand though with volumes!! ! of my troubles......thanks for the input krex... 8O