Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 8:38 am

Gah... I can't stand this. What is wrong with people?

Apparently, I have a trojan on my computer or something. It may be called trojan32.exe. Right now I'm at work, so I'm on a lab computer, so I have to wait to check it out until later. I'm running Windows XP, and Norton Antivirus detected the trojan, but (as usual) couldn't do anything about it. I set my system restore date back a couple of days in safe mode, but I don't know if this will work. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to have to reformat if I can avoid it. I'm going to try some trojan removal programs, but I don't know how effective those are.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 9:03 am

Aargh...

Spybot Search and Destroy should do the trick. You can get it from download.com. :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 9:24 am

That program does not seem to have much on anti-trojans...

Do either of these look ok to use?

http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/index.html

http://www.atshield.com/

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 9:37 am

atshield looks pretty good. btw if you dont already have a firewall this would be a good time to get one - zonealarm is good and free. :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 10:41 am

Sometimes when Norton can't delete things you just have to delete them out manually and delete any entires in the registry.

If you click on the link for the virus in the Norton report it should take you to an online page telling you how to do this.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 11:16 am

I have a real good antivirus program that WILL delete the offending file for you. It's called AntiVir personal edition and its free you can get it off download.com. You might also want to get a program that cleans out your registry. Then you might want to run sypbot, and Ad aware. If all else you can always manually delete the file.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 11:17 am

I have a real good antivirus program that WILL delete the offending file for you. It's called AntiVir personal edition and its free you can get it off download.com. You might also want to get a program that cleans out your registry. Then you might want to run sypbot, and Ad aware. If all else you can always manually delete the file.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 11:17 am

DOH!! ! why did I post twice?

alex
Developer
Developer

07 May 2005, 12:04 pm

I have a really good antivirus procedure called "uninstalling windows"

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2005, 12:30 pm

you mean just taking uninstalling the windows program from your computer completely? wouldn't that be more trouble than it's worth?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 12:42 pm

Hahah, thanks a lot, Alex :P .

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to run Linux, and I am sticking to my PC for now.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2005, 1:26 pm

another solution..clean out your temporary folder (via 'internet properties')..that gets rid of a few of the at-risk files norton won't exterminate...(i also get rid of my cookies & erase history while i'm at it)

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2005, 1:39 pm

Alex linex is not virusfree but it has a whole lot fewer of them :D Linex has other prolems like a bunch of servers that most ppl do not need on a personal box. And the learning how to use it is like a cliff not a hill heeh

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 3:26 pm

Civet,
When you know the path to the virus you can remove it manually using the quarantine program that comes with Norton AntiVirus. Then scan the folder it was in again to make sure it's gone.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 3:29 pm

Norton isn't the best virus scanner. I've used a huge number of different scanning programs in my job, but only AVG Free hasn't let me down yet.

Also, keep in mind that some trojans embed themselves into the backup files that system restore makes, so if you use system restore, it will bring back the trojan as well. Most virus scanners aren't allowed access to these files, but AVG does have access.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 5:35 pm

oiy, ok.

Let's see...

Quote:
I have a real good antivirus program that WILL delete the offending file for you. It's called AntiVir personal edition and its free you can get it off download.com.

Um.. this did not seem to do much of anything. It was just like "no virus" and then it finished.

Quote:
another solution..clean out your temporary folder (via 'internet properties')..that gets rid of a few of the at-risk files norton won't exterminate...(i also get rid of my cookies & erase history while i'm at it)

I can't seem to get rid of my temporary internet files. I try to do it through explorer and it freezes. So I tried to do it manually by going to the folder and deleting files, and it denies me access to doing so.

Quote:
When you know the path to the virus you can remove it manually using the quarantine program that comes with Norton AntiVirus. Then scan the folder it was in again to make sure it's gone.

I did a scan with Norton (which took 4.5 hours, ugh), and nothing came up. Either the virus is eluding it now, or it was a false alarm.

Quote:
I've used a huge number of different scanning programs in my job, but only AVG Free hasn't let me down yet.

AVG does not love me. There was an error when I tried to install it.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that some trojans embed themselves into the backup files that system restore makes, so if you use system restore, it will bring back the trojan as well.

Yes, I know. I turned my system restore off awhile ago.

I am not sure if this is a false alarm or what, since I do not see any weird symptoms, except for while I was actually scanning for viruses with the AT scanner, and the fact that I can't seem to delete my temp internet files. Are these signs of infection, or just quirks?