Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

I have what some of my friends view to be an obsessive hobby where I view house floor plans and judge them (almost always finding some small nitpick to disqualify them in my mind).

Some of my friends tell me I should be an architect and design my own plans but I've tried college and I'm useless in a classroom plus I don't want to spend time and money working on a five year degree (which would likely take ten or more due to needing a low class-load when I do attempt college).

There's a point to this habit of perusing through floorplans: I'm looking for a house for my future that I could live in that is small enough to where I won't get overwhelmed by cleaning tasks but large enough to where I won't feel confined. If I get a house before my parents pass on, I'd get a two bedroom so that they could live much cheaper than they would in a nursing home or apartment. If I get one after, it would be a one bedroom as I don't plan on kids and I am private to the point where I probably wouldn't have any friends that would need a place to crash.

Of course, I am currently unemployed (I have a group interview next week for a part time job) and I estimate it could be 1-2 years before I have a full time job. I want to be a full time library assistant but they only make $22-26k a year in my area.

When I feel depressed, I often think I wouldn't be able to afford a house, or I wouldn't be able to build the house I want due to HOA rules, or I wouldn't be able to handle/keep up with maintaining a house, or I'd get robbed...

I just don't know anymore. Apartment rents are skyrocketing in my area (think $1000 for a one bedroom, $1500+ for a two bedroom - both of these prices for decent apartments in decent neighborhoods). Short term, that's fine as I'll be moving back in with my parents and splitting the cost of a two bedroom. But they won't be able to work forever (my parents are almost 60) ...

I'm just out of ideas.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 9:51 am

I love studying floorplans as well. I understand your need to find the perfect configuration to live in. Perhaps there's a side-job you could do from home in addition to the library job. If you like the organizing aspect of being a library assistant, maybe you could help small business owners organize the work.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:56 am

omg, i do love floorplans.
i have a big book of floor plans...and have gone through it always chosing what room would be mine if i lived in that house. and i can always imagine a few changes i would make to it.

i also have Eplans and House plans bookmarked, and visit them quite often.

and in all the Sims games...I 99% of the time am just building houses. I wish they would release a version where you can just do that. I mean, i Know there are house plan programs already out there. but I like the feel and color and art and whatever style of the Sims.

I watch HGTV the most out of any other channel (aside from when jeopardy or the walking dead is on).

I wish i could have a job of just doing that...without having to go to school to get a degree (which i feel shouldn't be needed to prove i can do it.. to me, getting a degree just shows i was stupid enough to play the rich mans game) i have a wild imagination and have come up with some unique floor plan ideas.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 12:47 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
omg, i do love floorplans.
i have a big book of floor plans...and have gone through it always chosing what room would be mine if i lived in that house. and i can always imagine a few changes i would make to it.

i also have Eplans and House plans bookmarked, and visit them quite often.

and in all the Sims games...I 99% of the time am just building houses. I wish they would release a version where you can just do that. I mean, i Know there are house plan programs already out there. but I like the feel and color and art and whatever style of the Sims.

I watch HGTV the most out of any other channel (aside from when jeopardy or the walking dead is on).

I wish i could have a job of just doing that...without having to go to school to get a degree (which i feel shouldn't be needed to prove i can do it.. to me, getting a degree just shows i was stupid enough to play the rich mans game) i have a wild imagination and have come up with some unique floor plan ideas.

I am kind of embarrassed to say that one of my big obsessive hobbies is interior design. I will spend entire days obsessively trying to find the perfect knob or pillow. It helps that it sort of merges in with my other special interest in prices. Whenever someone compliments me on something I say "thanks, I got it for 48.50 at Tjmaxx!" I know the price of everything in my house (though for the life of me, I can't recall a single Physics formula :roll: ).

I've veered severely off topic...