Website Reach Tornonto Autistic Course anyone seen this

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2015, 2:28 pm

I recently discovered this website I see on there facebook page that this private company is quite new its a education company dedicated to autistic people, its an interesting experiment there testing out although its still into its early stages. Has anyone else come across any similar like this.

http://www.reachtoronto.ca/youth-and-ad ... grams.html

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 8:07 am

That looks awesome!

I'm going to propose something similar next year in hopes of getting a diversity grant. I was going to do seminars for autistic college students to help with workplace and interview preparation, class and study skills (including group project skills), and maybe just a college survival one with things about getting around, what to do when you're sensory overloaded, etc. My campus is huge and all the people dress and act the same. It can be a little overwhelming if you're different. I can imagine it'd be a lot worse if you lived on campus.

I wish there were more things like this.

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
That looks awesome!

I'm going to propose something similar next year in hopes of getting a diversity grant. I was going to do seminars for autistic college students to help with workplace and interview preparation, class and study skills (including group project skills), and maybe just a college survival one with things about getting around, what to do when you're sensory overloaded, etc. My campus is huge and all the people dress and act the same. It can be a little overwhelming if you're different. I can imagine it'd be a lot worse if you lived on campus.

Seems to be quite the learning experience your going through very interesting. In Norway where I come from or in general in Europe we are lagging behind when it comes to advances in understanding more about Autism. Just this page for example in my country we don’t have anything close to offerings like this.

Like there is no telling to how much further this can go in the future, what I mean is that with private funding like this something totally new can emerge. Its one of the reasons why I learn so much through thegreatcourses.com if only it could have counted for something.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 9:03 am

Eternally500 wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
That looks awesome!

Seems to be quite the learning experience your going through very interesting. In Norway where I come from or in general in Europe we are lagging behind when it comes to advances in understanding more about Autism. Just this page for example in my country we don’t have anything close to offerings like this.

Like there is no telling to how much further this can go in the future, what I mean is that with private funding like this something totally new can emerge. Its one of the reasons why I learn so much through thegreatcourses.com if only it could have counted for something.

Why can't it count for something?

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2015, 9:27 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Eternally500 wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
That looks awesome!

Why can't it count for something?

Because all the different subjects I take on this site and all advances it gives me in learning I still cant take any exams here in Norway that involves taking them in English. I never originally finished high school here in Norway because I was diagonalised with asperger at the age of 16.

Then two years ago when I finished my bachelor in arts in England I then moved back to Norway and decided I wanted to finish some courses that I need for some future studying I tried to do that for a while through Norwegian material but doing that I learned a snails pace now the biggest problems I have is how I can take exams in English.

It defiantly has a huge advantage for life long learning.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 9:49 am

They make you take them in Norwegian? Do you have to write in runes? Lol, just kidding!

I wish I knew one of those Nordic languages. They sound cool when I've heard them in movies and TV.

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

That would be quite difficult to write in ruins I imagine, although not impossible.

If you check out this show called The Bridge http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=nv_sr_1 then you might get a view on how the Nordic languages is spoken. Its both Danish and Sweden actors, Danish is pretty similar to my language which I understand. Although I am forced to use English subtitles for this show because the Sweden language is not that similar.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

Eternally500 wrote:
That would be quite difficult to write in ruins I imagine, although not impossible.

If you check out this show called The Bridge http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=nv_sr_1 then you might get a view on how the Nordic languages is spoken. Its both Danish and Sweden actors, Danish is pretty similar to my language which I understand. Although I am forced to use English subtitles for this show because the Sweden language is not that similar.

I am a fan of both versions of that show! I'm not sure if the American version's character of what's her name is on the spectrum. It's been a little while since I saw it.

It was kinda like that with the Spanish on the American version. Spanish is close enough to English that I get some of it, but not enough to go without the subtitles.