Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2015, 10:16 pm

So I am 21 male and for some reason some loud noises really bother me. I am scared of things like fire alarms, fireworks, different toilets flushing, or other sudden loud noises. But whenever I observe other people none seems to mind. Is this normal with being an aspie. Why am I scared of loud sounds?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 4:48 am

Very typical in autism. Having autism often means having hypersensitive. Lights, sounds, smells etc. can often seem more extreme and overwhelming to those with autism. That is why we stim and have meltdowns.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:25 am

It's some of the high-pitched sounds that drive me crazy.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 8:21 am

I am extremely hypersensitive to pretty much every aspect of sensory overload.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 10:52 am

same here...I'm 21 f and loud noises make me go insane. even loud music, it's always hard to negotiate the volume of music with my partner because he likes his music loud. sudden construction noises, drunk college kids yelling, people stomping around a floor above me, airplanes, motor boats, motor vehicles, being in a crowded room where people are all talking amongst themselves, movie theaters, etc.

my parents said the first thing they noticed that gave them the idea I could be on the spectrum was when I was a baby and loud noises distressed me so much, a lot more than other babies.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

29 Sep 2015, 9:03 pm

They used to bother me as a kid but I'm able to tune em out now for the most part. Working around loud machinery might of helped.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2015, 9:25 pm

Loud noises only bother me when I can't control it. Loud music doesn't bother me when it's me who sets the volume but when a friend has the music to loud or I'm in a car with loud music it gives me anxiety.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 10:37 pm

Lazershow wrote:
Loud noises only bother me when I can't control it. Loud music doesn't bother me when it's me who sets the volume but when a friend has the music to loud or I'm in a car with loud music it gives me anxiety.

This here ^

In my warehouse with people slamming pallets, it's annoying, but I generally try to wear earplugs, or "grin and bare it". When I'm tired, it's often worse to my ears. Some days it doesn't effect me as much as others.

But really, I've not been diagnosed with autism, but there's plenty of evidence/traits that might support a positive diagnosis.

Ironically, as much as I'm bothered by these painful aspects of my job, I've been working there longer than most of my current work crew. Most of the NT individuals who start working there don't last more than 3 days on average. I've been there for a total of 4 and a 1/2 years (1 year break in between where I worked elsewhere).

Autism, or autistic traits don't have to hold anyone back from accomplishing important things in life. No pain, no gain, as they say. :P

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:21 pm

Do they scare you or drive you insane? They drive me insane and not all have to be loud noises. Check out misophonia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 12:39 am

Dogs barking, sudden loud phone ringing really bother me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 1:04 am

whatamess wrote:
Do they scare you or drive you insane? They drive me insane and not all have to be loud noises. Check out misophonia.

I wouldn't say it drives me insane, but if the noise is constant, then it builds up like a pressure cooker. Then I break away for a few moments or put in ear plugs.

I probably have a little bit of misophonia because I hate it when others are whistling and certain people's voices are irritating. I do my best to tolerate others and not to fuss over it. There are other sounds that really grate my nerves and they don't have to be loud at all. In fact, Dubstep is the art of making music consisting of sounds specifically tailored to make my ears personally miserable. :P

I found out that misophonia may be rooted in the same part of the brain as tourettes syndrome, which I have been diagnosed with. Minus the profanity problem, thankfully. I'm merely a twitchy fellow occasionally.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

I love trains however when I am in the station walking away from the train it is a nightmare for me. It's really loud and it just feels bad and I start stimming and really I just want to run away from the noise and stick my fingers in my ears but that wouldn't be acceptable.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 8:39 pm

Lazershow wrote:

I'm the same way - like, I like listening to music thru earbuds at high volumes (often in a feeble attempt to drown out other loud noises!) and that's all right with me because it's done out of self - preservation and I'm the one who controls it. It's different when my sisters want to listen to rap or alternative rock on the car radio and turn the bass up to its fullest capacity, however. 8O

I also find that after a full day of being exposed to loud, sudden noises that I cannot control, even mundane noises bother me, such as silverware clinking in a drawer, pots and pans banging together, or even chip bags crinkling. There were times in college where I'd be in my dorm room, recuperating from a day of being around people, bright lights, and commotion, and my roommate would open a bag of chips...it took all the restraint I had not to cover my ears and yell "SHUT UP" - not at her, necessarily; just....everything else.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm

Good luck finding an Aspie who isn't bothered by noise.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2015, 10:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dogs barking, sudden loud phone ringing really bother me.

I once had a bunch of telemarketers calling me all day, every time the phone rings it usually sends my heart fluttering and it was happening so often.

When loud trucks would drive past my house or bikes, my cat and I both had our worries lol.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

Scanner wrote:
I love trains however when I am in the station walking away from the train it is a nightmare for me. It's really loud and it just feels bad and I start stimming and really I just want to run away from the noise and stick my fingers in my ears but that wouldn't be acceptable.

It's perfectly acceptable to cover your ears. I do it every time a train passes by. Or when the public bus lowers and is sounding the safety beep which is supposed to let the hearing impaired know to step back (and also wake the dead :P ).

I have seen other people cover their ears for both situations. Those things are loud, so if somebody has a problem with you doing that, then it is really their problem, and should not have to be yours.

You can also get a pair of noise cancelling headphones if appearances really are such a concern.