Do you have an auto-immune disease too?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm

Before i was diagnosed with either, i met the first person who told me he had aspergers. He was also the first person who told me he had inflamatory arthritis.

Within a few years, i too was diagnosed with both.

I then read a post here where someone said they had both...which got me thinking about the overlap and if there is a statistical correlation / increased relation between autoimmune conditions and autism vs the nt population.

Soooo...
Anecdotal, but do you have an(y) autoimmune condition(s)?

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm

Visual snow syndrome. I'm not 100% sure if it's auto-immune but I've heard it is and it seems to behave in such a way.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 8:22 pm

Incidence rate of auto-immune on the spectrum cited as 53% here:

http://www.aspiehelp.com/documents-and- ... drome.html

I have an auto-immune disease (which amongst other things devastated the cartilege in my hips,both now replaced and has affected my lower spine), coeliac disease, complement and immunodeficiency (innate), scoliois and other things on the list - though having lived with them for so long they are just part of the mix that I deal with as part of daily life. The more important factor relating to all these IMO is the raised inflammation levels which accompany these conditions, given the extraordinary amount of recent research defining the previously unsuspected impacts of inflammation and its whole body impact, which are important in all sorts of ways.

The lab measure of inflammation is a protein test for C-Reactive protein. It seems to me that it might be prudent for people on the spectrum to review their levels of this from time to time. It is a simple blood test.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm

B19 wrote:
Incidence rate of auto-immune on the spectrum cited as 53% here:

http://www.aspiehelp.com/documents-and- ... drome.html

I have an auto-immune disease (which amongst other things devastated the cartilege in my hips,both now replaced and has affected my lower spine), coeliac disease, complement and immunodeficiency (innate), scoliois and other things on the list - though having lived with them for so long they are just part of the mix that I deal with as part of daily life. The more important factor relating to all these IMO is the raised inflammation levels which accompany these conditions, given the extraordinary amount of recent research defining the previously unsuspected impacts of inflammation and its whole body impact, which are important in all sorts of ways.

The lab measure of inflammation is a protein test for C-Reactive protein. It seems to me that it might be prudent for people on the spectrum to review their levels of this from time to time. It is a simple blood test.

That's interesting; i wish they had citations or references for the info.

Good point..I'm kind of surprised, with what we know now, that crp isn't done as a standard procedure with a cbc. Then again, i'd also think it should be standard for women to get vit d tests as part of their annual. But i digress...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

09 Jan 2016, 10:57 pm

No

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 10:58 pm

I have an autoimmune arthritis. It's fairly rare.

WaveOfChange
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2016, 4:18 am

Autoimmune Arthritis. :(

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 10:48 am

Chronic ulcerative colitis.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

10 Jan 2016, 11:58 am

Stress can aggrevate auto-immune diseases. And people on the spectrum tend to have high levels of stress.

I have stress induced auto-immune problems and cronic pain.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

I've had arthritis from Lyme disease since age 20, but had chronic autism-related health problems even before that.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 3:25 pm

The visual static - i didn't know that had a name. Even the shrink has no idea what i'm talking about... I only, thankfully, get that when Super anxious. But as such, i feel for anyone who has it more often as it makes everything 50x harder.

Stress is a good point..and reminds of correlation not always being direct.

For mine, i took the 23&me test and it nailed it.. It had the genetic predisposition for the inflammatory arthritis as one of the top 5 things i was more likely than others to get (before i had it/it announced its presence). 4 out of the 5 were autoimmune...which isn't to say stress didn't encourage it. Genes + environment.

For those that said autoimmune arthritis, do you mean something like psoriatic or rheumatoid (what i and the aforementioned guy have)? Or is there another whole set?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 3:35 pm

I have a type that is related to the gene marker HLA-B27. It's an inflammatory seronegative spondyloarthritis. It's part of a larger group of types of arthritis that are all related to HLA-B27.

HLA-B27 greatly increases the risk of acquiring one of these diseases, and, with the type I have, almost all the white people who get it have this gene marker. It's more commonly diagnosed in men than it is in women, and it usually first appears when a person is young, usually teens or twenties.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 4:53 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I have a type that is related to the gene marker HLA-B27. It's an inflammatory seronegative spondyloarthritis. It's part of a larger group of types of arthritis that are all related to HLA-B27.

HLA-B27 greatly increases the risk of acquiring one of these diseases, and, with the type I have, almost all the white people who get it have this gene marker. It's more commonly diagnosed in men than it is in women, and it usually first appears when a person is young, usually teens or twenties.

Yep, i know that one! Like ankylosing spondylitis.
By definition, i am seronegative, am hla-b27 neg, but it's nailed my back anyway, among many other joints. I believe psoroiatic arthritis is a typical spnondylo whereas rheumy doesn't usually hit the back (more neck if it does).

I find this more odd..could just be that i'm looking for yellow cars and that's what i see, but with these specific conditions so uncommon...and yet here's a group of us - not on a spondylo forum .

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 8:04 pm

Hashimoto's

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 8:11 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Yep, i know that one! Like ankylosing spondylitis.
By definition, i am seronegative, am hla-b27 neg, but it's nailed my back anyway, among many other joints. I believe psoroiatic arthritis is a typical spnondylo whereas rheumy doesn't usually hit the back (more neck if it does).

I find this more odd..could just be that i'm looking for yellow cars and that's what i see, but with these specific conditions so uncommon...and yet here's a group of us - not on a spondylo forum .

Yes, I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. I have the HLA-B27 marker, but my symptoms are primarily peripheral arthritis, and enthesitis.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 8:32 pm

In my early 20's I had a bad bout of Lichen Planus. It reappeared a year ago when a medication I take ran into a shortage - and then disappeared once the medication was available again. Interestingly, a very positive side effect for me of the med is that with it my body was able to regulate serotonin for the first time since puberty. Years of papers out there on connections between serotonin regulation & autoimmune diseases...