Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:21 pm

Daniel Tammet perceives probably thousands of numerals presented differently depending on their arrangement.

My own synaesthesia is, by comparison, quite simple. Though it involves perceiving visual and aural responses, it is triggered (sometimes) by my writing, reading or hearing the letters B, D and L, and the numeral 2. Certainly not the thousands of differences Tammet enjoys.

So, if you have synaesthesia, how complicated is it in its various presentations?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

revolutionaryboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2016, 9:47 am

My synesthesia is pretty intensive.

Music is perceived as colors, shapes, and tastes.

Colors and shapes alternatively "sing" to me or make musical notes appear in the air.

Shapes, both in food and in the environment around food, have tastes. For example, once I had a green circular lollipop, and was eating it while looking at a green circular sticker on a chrome background. Everything was harmonized and the taste was sweet. Then I bit the lollipop, which became a jagged shape. The green circle sticker began buzzing, and the taste of the new shape of the lollipop was sour.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 11:55 am

revolutionaryboy wrote:
My synesthesia is pretty intensive.

Music is perceived as colors, shapes, and tastes.

Colors and shapes alternatively "sing" to me or make musical notes appear in the air.

Shapes, both in food and in the environment around food, have tastes. For example, once I had a green circular lollipop, and was eating it while looking at a green circular sticker on a chrome background. Everything was harmonized and the taste was sweet. Then I bit the lollipop, which became a jagged shape. The green circle sticker began buzzing, and the taste of the new shape of the lollipop was sour.

Wow. That is about the same as Tammet's synaesthesia (except I don't believe his includes taste)! Amazing. Mine is hit-and-miss in occurence, so I enjoy it when it happens. Do you ever feel annoyed my yours?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 1:28 am

Mine are:

color-olfactory

spacial sequence

number form

auditory-tactile

mirror-tactile (a variation)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 10:04 pm

Britte wrote:
Mine are:

color-olfactory

spacial sequence

number form

auditory-tactile

I haven't heard of "spacial sequence." What is that like?

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 6:16 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Britte wrote:
Mine are:

color-olfactory

spacial sequence

number form

auditory-tactile

I haven't heard of "spacial sequence." What is that like?

Hi, I see months, dates and time in the space around me, somewhat like a running track, and I am at the center, per se. In addition, I have a vast memory and I can recall past events in great detail. I see numerical sequences as points in space, which most people with spacial sequence synesthesia experience, but, not all, and that particular aspect of SSS is not as profound for me, as other aspects.

Last edited by Britte on 22 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 6:27 pm

One time in my life, I saw the words "deja vu" written in cursive (script) writing when I was experiencing deja vu.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2016, 12:29 pm

I have a touch/sound synesthesia - so when I hear a sound I feel it like touch on my skin. It's horrible to experience because I don't enjoy touch. Some music feels realy creepy. I also have a chronic neurological pain condition where my skin often feels like it's burned in patches. If the pain is bad then, although I could be sitting in silence, if my skin is hurting then I experience the internal feeling of too much sound. Any more (real) sound on top of that is very difficult for me to deal with. I use ear plugs and ear defenders to help with this.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 1:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One time in my life, I saw the words "deja vu" written in cursive (script) writing when I was experiencing deja vu.

Oooh, cool! Very Twilight Zone-ie? I think a little synaesthesia is fun, but, I suspect I might not want the level of it that, say, Daniel Tammet enjoys.

love2connect
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I have had similar experience but mine is a bit sadder. My brain was telling me to kill myself repetitively and on the bottom right of my visual screen almost computer-like were the words "kill yourself"