Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

astroganga
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2016, 5:10 pm

Hi

I am new here. I am a 34 year old mum living in the UK. I have not been formally diagnosed yet but I have long suspected that I have aspergers. At school I was labelled as 'difficult' and teachers told my parents I was clearly very intelligent but didn't 'apply myself' properly. Unless I really liked the work in question then I excelled. When I was small I used to read reference books from cover to cover and memorise facts contained in them. I did like fiction as well and read the same few books that I loved, over and over again. I was badly bullied at school for being blunt and for the way I talked and walked. I worked on my voice which was either droning and monotonous or shrill and loud depending on how happy I was but I still have a very distinctive walk. I also struggle with face blindness and have difficulties with maths, though I am really good at mental maths and times tables only. I am very organised in some things but when it comes to things beyond my control, such as a mess made by someone else, then I really struggle. I have extra sensitive hearing, I can hear people's TVs in houses that are not immediately adjacent to mine but when watching TV myself or being involved in a conversation if there are too many voices or music and voices involved I get overwhelmed and find it hard to concentrate. It is only in the past few years that I have realised that I need to ask someone how they are instead of just asking about myself, and also saying please or thank you. I have obsessive interests, I collect and also embellish myself, decorated and bejewelled fabrics. I am an artist as well. Thoigh its hard to find the time for either, with the kids. I also am a keen genealogist, and am fascinated by linguistics and anthropology. Sadly I know that I bore people with my interests. I used to collect different series of books as a kid but I grew out of that now. I also forget to eat and if it wasn't for having to make food for the kids I would probably forget altogether. :(

N.B. I would rather not give my name as I am a bit paranoid that TPTB may feel me being someone with Asperger's that this affects my ability to parent. Hope that's ok

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 5:32 pm

Hey astroganga welcome. :sunny:

astroganga
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2016, 5:42 pm

Thank you for the welcome.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran