EXTREME ANXIETY - Messed up studying for a test

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Seeker883
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm

Hi, guys. It's me again.

I'm in my second semester at Sheridan college. I'm taking a reduced courseload, three courses per semester instead of six. I'm in the General Arts and Science program for two years as a prep course for York University, where I want to take either environmental science or environmental studies. This semester in the GAS program I'm taking a course in philosophy on Tuesdays, a course in sociology on Wednesdays, and a course in history on Fridays.

At Sheridan they rely pretty heavily on their homework site, SLATE, where deadlines, important dates, and instructions are posted. My professor in the sociology course is very anti-technology and barely uses SLATE at all. I'd spoken with my caseworker and asked her to talk to the professor to see if he could send me homework due dates and deadlines. As it turns out, he does keep the course outline on SLATE, but the file there had said "Spring 2015", so I hadn't taken notice of it. Due to issues logging onto my Sheridan email account, I only found that out today, and there's a test on the first five chapters tomorrow. I've only read three of them.

So it seems like I'm completely screwed for this test and I'm in a complete panic about it. I'm worried that I'll flunk the course and have to retake it - it's such a huge struggle for me that I really don't want to need to do that. So my anxiety is out of control.

I'm having thoughts of oanic, worthlessness and hopelessness, things like "I let myself unwind too much this past weekend and barely did any homework. I'm a f***ing idiot. I'll never pass this course. I suck. If I can't manage at Sheridan, how will I ever manage at York? I'm going to end up working at McDonald's and living in my parent's basement for the rest of my life."

I know this probably sounds like a stupid thing to bring to the forum but I'm really upset right now...Parents have not been much help, they basically said "you're in college, you need to make better choices than the ones you've made"...

I was exhausted over the weekend, I didn't do enough, and I only found out about the test today - I know it's my fault and I know I won't do well on this test, but I can't stop these really negative thoughts...Help!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

One bad test will not harm you for life, even if you can't help thinking that way.
It might not even be as bad as you think, since you did read 3 of 5 chapters.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 2:49 pm

Try your hardest. Don't give in. I have horrible anxiety if I get behind, because it's so hard for me to keep on top of schoolwork to begin with. Just do what you can.

I would talk to your professor about the misleading coursework information. It is not your fault that it was mislabeled. I would assume that it was not for my class also, as it is not 2015. Perhaps you could get an extension.

Either way, try your hardest, and don't get discouraged! Getting discouraged is the worst enemy, at least for me. It almost guarantees that I will do poorly if I feel hopeless.

It's ok. I screw up my subjects all the time, even though I'm very intelligent. I have these things happen quite regularly, but I keep trying. You are able to take more classes at one time than I've ever been able to successfully. You are doing well in my book.

ACinTX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2016, 5:18 pm

Try emailing the professor with the situation. Politely remind them that the coursework info was mislabeled. Do you have a letter of accommodation with the office of disabilities on campus? If so, CC your advisor on it so they are aware of the situation. The advisor can speak to the professor about this. And an extension might be arranged. But keep a paper trail of communication about the situation.

Annacdote
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

Now, I know this is a tad late, but how'd it go? Did you have to retake the course?