16 Feb 2016, 3:57 pm

i never got this question.

were u asked by this by people before?

how did u deal with it?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 4:16 pm

I hate when people comment on how quiet I am. I would just say, "I just am", or I would have a meltdown, lol. I don't get why people expect everyone to have the same personality.

mattdens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

I usually just shrug my shoulders and say "I just am".
I don't normally get offended by it, typically, if someone asks it just means they're taking an interest in me.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2016, 7:35 pm

The real reason? I'm afraid of making a mistake, and/or of getting too much of a response.

What I say? No one asks... I'd just say I'm thinking or working - this usually works for nerds.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2016, 7:37 pm

Might be an age thing too - just noticed the OP's age - is it true that once you're over a certain age people feel less entitled to ask these questions about you? Or is it gender-related too?

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 8:52 pm

I don't think I've ever been asked that directly, though I have had comments from time to time. A lot of it is either not knowing what TO say, or not having anything to contribute to the conversation going on.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

I think it is better to have that rep than someone who has difficulty with talking too much about their special interest and such, which a lot of us struggle with. But I have been teased about it in school sometimes.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:15 pm

Because I don't recognize the cues that mean it's my turn to talk, nor do I know how to make the non-verbals signals that I want to.

And sometimes I just feel like I can't word right now, I don't want to word right now, or I'm afraid that my words will somehow be twisted into an insult or provoke an argument and that is never what I want.

I don't want to talk if it just means people will get all emotional instead of taking my words at face value.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

alk123

16 Feb 2016, 11:39 pm

Been asked/told this by people. I usually nod my head and acknowledge their observation.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 2:17 am

I've been asked this by a bunch of people as well, and I never have a good answer. Ironically, when I get going about my special interests or whatever, I find it hard to stop myself from talking. Truth be told, I enjoy talking even though I'm not big on socializing, if that makes any sense.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 2:22 am

Because I'm a man of few words...*puts on cowboy hat and rides into the sunset*

Because

a) I have nothing constructive to add
b) I want to say something constructive but
-people speak in word walls and I never know when I have actual opening to say what I want to say
-I'm afraid it'll come out weird and I'll be made fun of, it probably wont actually happen, but it's residual fear from youth

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 2:25 am

Because I can't get a word in f*****g edge ways.

Real reason: To anxious to even talk.

but I would never tell anyone that because I can't, I'm too anxious.

mrfoggy

17 Feb 2016, 5:06 am

After knowing my 'quiet' friend deep, thats why he is mostly quiet in a conversation which mainly is about rant/gossip/complains.

" I will be talking to you about quantum physics , about 5th dimension, how big bang came about and every episode of dr who"

otherwise I'll be quiet before you label be as a freak

As for me, I can't help to keep quiet during work meals, as I am a health freak, I will be breaking down the contents of your food into nutritional facts. :/

I prefer to be quiet because I don't understand your jokes really .. and I will answer most of the question in a formal and factual way which then I didn't understand that was sarcasm. :(

While the guys were making fun of the female colleague and saying things that she's value added, I blurt out saying its because of your breast. o.O!

At a party, I talk a lot especially with alcohol intake. Sadly I regret after the party because I've probably made more fre-nemies than friends as I said a lot of inconsiderate/blunt words I shouldn't. For example saying the wine taste like something negative than complimenting it for a normal person who may find the taste acquired but not speak the true due to politeness.

Silence is golden ! :) Listen more than you talk !

enneagram most like 5w4 - The Investigator / The Individualist
IQ 120 -130 High in Visual Intellgence

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 5:22 am

What annoys me about this is that it's virtually never asked out of interest in your person. It's always a judgment on the part of the asker. It implies: 'You should be less quiet, you should talk more'.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2016, 5:46 am

What I think:

"Because I have no interest in the subject you guys are talking about"
"I don't like to talk about nothing / chit chat"
"I don't like the way you guys talk about others (rant/gossip)"
"I have nothing interesting to say at the moment"

What I say:

"..."
"because I am"
"I am busy with my own thing"

I try to be polite, usually, but sometimes I say something sarcastic or use humor to deflect the question.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 12:32 pm

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

- variously attributed to Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain, Confucius, George Eliot, Oscar Wilde, the list goes on...