Does anyone walk around in circles when they are nervous?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

I do I can't keep still when I am nervous! People tell to just keep still. I can't! movement helps me keep calm. If I keep still I get even more nervous!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:31 pm

I do that. It's because it's unbearable to sit still when you're anxious/nervous. You want to do something to alleviate the anxiety and nervousness.

You don't realize, at that point, that sitting down and relaxing would probably help in getting rid of the anxiety/nervousness. Because you are "hyper" when you are nervous/anxious.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:33 pm

not in circles but i do pace back and forth when im overwhelmed or nervous

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2016, 9:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do that. It's because it's unbearable to sit still when you're anxious/nervous. You want to do something to alleviate the anxiety and nervousness.

You don't realize, at that point, that sitting down and relaxing would probably help in getting rid of the anxiety/nervousness. Because you are "hyper" when you are nervous/anxious.

Yes it is unbearable to sit still when your anxious/nervous exactly people don't get it! And when people tell you to "sit still" makes it worse!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:36 pm

Mainly, lines, but if the situation calls for it other shapes

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2016, 9:41 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

Do you sometimes get so overwhelmed you became irrational and start thinking "OMG my life is over!" or irrational thoughts like that?

Astro77
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2016, 9:46 pm

Pacing back and forth is one of my stims. I've learned to put it to good use by walking a mile or two every night.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm

Oh, yes, I've done this a lot all my life. Always anti-clockwise circles, and on tip-toe if I'm feeling particularly wound up. It's only since coming on the forum that I ever let anyone know I do it (maybe my mum knows, I don't remember when I was really little). And yes, it can be a time when strange thoughts come into my head too. Try to think of it as the strange thoughts finding their way out, so that you don't have to have them stuck in your head forever - I find that if I say them out loud once or twice, and tell myself that I don't want them any more, they quite often do go away.

Sometimes it can help to find something else you can do that works to keep you calm. It is very different for every person, but I find clenching and unclenching my fingers and toes works quite well if I'm in a place where I can't pace without disturbing people. You only need something to help manage the nerves for a little while sometimes - you can maybe pace later on when you have some time on your own.

If pacing gives you comfort, and it's doing no-one any harm, then you should try not to worry about it too much - but as Kraftie says, trying to reduce how nervous you are is a much better solution in the long run.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:01 pm

When really worked up I alternate between sitting and rocking to walking in circles. I usually talk to myself quite a bit while walking in circles, alone in my room.

Last edited by EzraS on 26 Feb 2016, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

Yep, I'm a pacer. When I get nervous about something I tend to not be able to keep still, and pace from room to room.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm

I definitely pace around when I'm anxious or nervous. For this reason I'm grateful my college campus has a ton of walking paths around it.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm

Aspergirl16 wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

Do you sometimes get so overwhelmed you became irrational and start thinking "OMG my life is over!" or irrational thoughts like that?

Yes, very black and white thinking like that

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

obsessingoverobsessions
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2016, 5:06 am

I flap my hands a lot when I'm nervous, but I also flap my hands when I'm happy.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2016, 5:47 am

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
I flap my hands a lot when I'm nervous, but I also flap my hands when I'm happy.

Me too I flap I clap my hands when I'm excited and one teacher told me to "Act normal your acting like a 3 year old." she made me cry.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

I walk around in circles when I am on the phone, thinking about making a call, or thinking about a call I just made.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

I pace a lot. In my home, I have a set pattern on the tiles I walk, back and forth, especially if I'm on the phone. When I step outside to smoke, I sway a lot and sometimes make circular motions in that swaying. No room to pace in that small space unless I go up into the street area (rent a basement) and I won't do that because I don't want to be seen.

When I teach, I have to pace too. Sometimes I can give the lecture/instructions without ever looking at the screen and go through the steps they need to do a process. That's when I'm pacing in class.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8