Day program worker snapped at me today.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2016, 10:13 pm

I was charging my phone as I always do and his car battery died. When it started again he yelled "don't f*** with my car anymore!" And threatened to leave me on the street instead of taking me home.

He isn't normally like this either. He is normally the nicest guy you'll meet.

Now I believe the following rules are in effect:

1) I may not touch anything in car except for fastening seat belt.

2) I may not bring any electronic device or charger in the car. Including phone. They must stay at home.

3) I may not say anything or move while in car.

4) If I sit in car to wait, the keys will be taken out. The Windows shall remain up and I cannot open the doors.

5) Any rule violation will result in being left on street to find own way home.

What should I do?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 10:17 pm

Forget the rules you made up. They don't apply. What applies is ask before you charge your phone in his car or change the radio or mess with the a.c..

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 12:10 am

You probably should have asked first. It's his car. Maybe the battery is on its last legs. Maybe he fears the car won't start because you're charging your phone on it.

dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2016, 1:16 am

He had no right to yell at you, period. The only thing I would suggest you do differently is don't charge your phone in his car anymore or mess with any of the controls without asking. In this day and age you should always keep your phone with you as a safety precaution as there are less landlines and pay phones to use in emergency. Don't let his attitude make you miserable, it's his problem.

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2016, 2:59 am

Sorry to hear you got yelled at for charging your phone in the car. It sounds to me like this person was having a bad day and the dead battery was just the straw that broke the camel's back. You just happened to be the straw for his day. Try not to take it personally. I'm pretty sure it is illegal to take the keys and leave someone in a car with the doors closed and windows up. Here in Arizona kids die like that, from the heat, every year, lots of them. Either their parents forgot them in the car or purposefully left them because they wanted to go gamble or get high on something.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 3:14 am

It's not illegal to leave an adult like that, or a teenager, considering they know how to open the doors and that they should if they get hot. I'm not sure about autistic adults or other special needs. I have AS and I'm pretty sure it would be totally legal to leave me in the car like that because the only reason I'd not get out would be spite, and I would get out. I'd imagine you would have to be really special kind of special needs adult for it to be illegal.

I understand why he yelled and think it was normal. I'd yell too. Just ask before you mess with anything like the air or radio and especially if you charge your phone.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 7:45 am

Truthfully, most of the time, charging a phone in a car does no harm to the battery.

I don't condone the OP being yelled at. But she should have asked first. It's his car.

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2016, 11:26 am

I'm getting mixed signals here. I am a he, first of all. :p and second I have not responded to calls to come out to day program today. I am likely to not go at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 1:38 pm

Why don't you have a talk with the guy. Tell him that you like to be treated like a human being. Tell him that yelling at you is not the solution at all. You're a grown person. You don't need to be treated like a kid.

Tell him that you'll ask next time if you want to charge your phone in his car.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 4:36 pm

i would be pissed off if someone did this to my car too, next time dont mess with his car

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 5:02 pm

What's a day program ?

Can you get a extranal battery? I got mine for $15 and it can charge my phone twice or so.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 5:30 pm

Some people with various disorders, including people with autism, attend treatment programs during the day.

The purpose of most of these programs is to encourage people to socialize with each other.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 1:28 pm

Sweet Pea hugs Image

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2016, 12:33 pm

I'm writing this follow up post from my home computer. Since that day I haven't left the house. Not for anything. I've actually cut off most contact with the outside as a response. I'm too afraid of people yelling at me again.

It's my fault for what I did and even for what isn't my fault. I'm to blame for the worlds problems.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 1:12 pm

Report him to the Day Program, doesn't sound like he's following the rules of how to treat those participating in the day program by imposing those rules on you. Also, sure doesn't sound like the nicest guy you'll meet sounds like a sadistic prick who likes to bully people getting help through the Day Program.

It seems having a phone would be important, so that you have to leave it at home if this person drives you somewhere sounds ridiculous...what if you need to call someone?

Also if you're waiting in the car with the windows rolled up and locked in for any length of time I'm pretty sure that is illegal due to risk of over-heating or if something happened to where you needed to get out of the vehicle.

And somehow I don't think screaming at and threatening people in the day program are things he's supposed to be doing...or demanding you don't speak or move for that matter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 1:18 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's not illegal to leave an adult like that, or a teenager, considering they know how to open the doors and that they should if they get hot. I'm not sure about autistic adults or other special needs. I have AS and I'm pretty sure it would be totally legal to leave me in the car like that because the only reason I'd not get out would be spite, and I would get out. I'd imagine you would have to be really special kind of special needs adult for it to be illegal.

I understand why he yelled and think it was normal. I'd yell too. Just ask before you mess with anything like the air or radio and especially if you charge your phone.

By cannot open the doors, I was assumping the OP means they put on the child lock or whatever setting prevents the person inside from unlocking the doors...if they simply close the door then yeah there is nothing illegal, but trapping someone in a vehicle so they can't get out not so much.

Also someone with the job of transporting special needs people should probably know how to calmly handle such issues...like explain they need to ask first, not scream at them and threaten to abandon them on the side of the road. If it's your car and you don't have the responsibility to safely transport a special needs person then you can kick your passenger out for whatever you want but that is not the case here.