Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 9:58 am

I am very worried because tommorow I might do an ocd ritual to relieve my anxiety.

The problem is if I don't do the ritual then I might not be able to sleep for Saturday (I might go out to my local bar on saturday night and I don't want to be tired for it).

How can I stop myself from doing the ritual tomorrow if I am really anxious?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am very worried because tommorow I might do an ocd ritual to relieve my anxiety.

The problem is if I don't do the ritual then I might not be able to sleep for Saturday (I might go out to my local bar on saturday night and I don't want to be tired for it).

Ritual based OCD responds pretty well to Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP). Read up on that, I found that the most helpful for that aspect of my OCD, and broke most of the rituals I used to suffer from.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

Noca wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Ritual based OCD responds pretty well to Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP). Read up on that, I found that the most helpful for that aspect of my OCD, and broke most of the rituals I used to suffer from.

Just curious, but how would you explain your OCD rituals as being different from the habituality of AS?
Someone told me the rigidness and rituals thing sounded like OCD- don't really know where the distinction lies though.

LarHadCol
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2016, 4:21 pm

What is your ritual ? I just want to see what kind of OCD you have

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 11:09 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
Noca wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Just curious, but how would you explain your OCD rituals as being different from the habituality of AS?
Someone told me the rigidness and rituals thing sounded like OCD- don't really know where the distinction lies though.

OCD rituals serve no purpose and are irrational, such as checking light switches many times over in fear I would burn the house down or arranging objects on a desk so that every object was parallel to one another. AS rituals are there to help me avoid the anxiety change brings about as well as making my day more efficient to compensate for my executive dysfunction.