YES or NO NVLD (you can read faces, body language, etc.)

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:59 am

NVLD, Nonverbal Learning Disability, the inability to"read" facial expressions, body language, gestures, and other nonverbal cues; sometimes includes motor skills deficits, lack of coordination, etc. Some of us have it, some of us don't...

I supposedly don't, but sometimes I wonder if there's an "in-between," meaning at times yes I do, but at other times no I do not.

I would like to know how many do and do not, or if any others feel "in between."

Last edited by Redxk on 09 Jul 2016, 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drewskee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2016, 3:05 am

I'm 25 years old, and while I can determine that my ability to read body language has increased a tad in the past year or two, it's no mystery to me that I'm significantly impaired in this area. I find that if I take the time to "watch people a little harder" (which is to say, try notably hard to determine body language), I'm usually able to, but it can get a tad exhausting.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 3:10 am

I can read body language well, without needing to consciously focus on it. I just pick up on it, no matter how subtle it is.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 4:25 am

I don´t - if judged by the explosions, I have been subjected to during verbal exchange...

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 6:34 am

I don't have that problem. If you want more feedback, it's better to create a thread with a poll in the stats forum.

Seral
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2016, 6:39 am

Yes, I can read faces, body language, etc. (I consistently score near 100% on those tests.)

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 8:27 am

I'm very good at that. If I notice you at all. Which, sometimes I don't.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

I am able to read facial expressions and body language but I am not always able to understand why they have to make certain face expressions. Recently there was a girl who looked at me like I was a weirdo, I think it was because I tried to look happy while looking at the ground, doing nothing while the rest were being on their cellphones. I don't understand why she had to look at me like that. I also walk into objects and people, and fall on my on legs, but I don't do it as often now as I did before. So I think I'm somewhere in between.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 10:39 am

I have taken visual tests on interpreting facial expressions and body language. There will be a picture of someone and then "This person is A angry B worried C offended D bored". Something like that. I always do pretty badly on those and score low.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

09 Jul 2016, 10:51 am

Uncertain. I can read the major facial expressions, smiling, laughing, angry, sad, happy. And if i set it into context im usually fine in determing the situation. Like if someone gets a call and suddenly switches from happy to sad its obvious he recieved a bad massage. But i seem to totally misread people when their expression is more subtle or if there is no visible context to me. If im passive (Looking at a video, looking at people without interacting myself) i recognize some microexpressions or subtle switches, but most of the time i dont get their meaning. Things get problematic when i have to participate, read people, listen to people, come up with a matching response in realtime, try not to be weird, dont talk too much, dont talk to little, watch my loudness, watch the pitch of my voice, watch my timing in conversation, try to be polite and so on. Thats when i usually fail at reading expressions not totally obvious. I guess that counts as "in between" like the OP asked for...

Body language is another thing. While i cant make sense of it consciously, i seem to grasp on something of it unconsciously. Like when looking at a group of people, im usually good at finding the odd/uncomfortable one because he somehow looks completely different from the rest. But if you ask me how i saw that or what specificly made it obvious to me, i couldnt tell you. One time at my brothers marriage, we are 5 people left drinking a bit and there was this weird/awkward dude that sent me into shock somewhat. He reminded me alot about myself when uncomfortable with a group situation so i confronted him about it and tried to relax him a bit/to include him. Later he wasnt so different anymore so i guess it worked. Still scary, like seeing yourself from the outside and seeing/realizing your own awkwardness...

Peace
TK

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:04 am

I pick up a lot from tone of voice, I do a bit of body language and facial stuff. I'm not sure a test would reflect how I fare in real life very accurately. I think a lot of people in real life can be quite inscrutable to anybody, when they want to be.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:17 pm

no, but i think i get what you mean by being in the middle instead of a straight "yes" or "no".
i've taken those tests too where you're supposed to come up with the expression the person is making, and i do fairly well on those but it takes me SO LONG. i can't just immediately see it.
and i'm also bad at recognizing and understanding vocal inflections but its the same as facial expressions; i can figure it out it's just not easy.
but, i have good motor/fine motor and spatial skills.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:35 pm

Sorta. I've taught myself to do faces & some body language using rules. It's enough to get by in every day situations, but I don't get how people do it unthinkingly. Other than that I have to use words & questions, which ends up conveying that I care in a different way. I tend to not be very extroverted so it's not like it gets tested all that often.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:18 pm

Same.
I suck at reading people's emotions from their faces and body language. Besides the standard happy face, sad face, and angry face, I'm lost. Staying at home most of the time and not getting social interaction doesn't help, either. What gets me is when people see my expressionless face and ask me why I'm so sad all the time and tell me to lighten up. I'm not sad at all.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 5:57 pm

Ichinin wrote:
I don't have that problem. If you want more feedback, it's better to create a thread with a poll in the stats forum.

Thanks! I'm learning :)

GeekChic
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2016, 10:19 pm

I can usually get the big ones like if you are crying you might be sad or hurt. Severe angry faces or very happy faces a obvious, too. I do seem to miss all the stuff inbetween. I cannot pass the facial expressions test. Highest score so far is 30. Every face in that exam looks angry or sad to me. :?