Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 7:03 am

Hello,

I am new to WP and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

The reason I am here is that I am struggling a bit bith living in a world where I don't fit in, and decided to see if I could find some other people on the spectrum who have similar difficulties and understand. Also maybe I can get some advice and support (and maybe give it too if I have it to offer) on how to navigate this strange illogical world.

I was diagnosed with AS as an adult and have been studying in the sciences for some time. To an small extent I am accepted in my subject because more people doing what I do are a little different, but I still have a lot of problems with making social mistakes, tending to be very honest and straight talking and literal. I try very hard to 'follow the social rules' and to be diplomatic and understand people but I really don't manage it enough to prevent people from noticing me in a way which makes my life harder (I mean I have learned it is best to try to hide my autisticness if I want to be accepted or if not that, at least not rejected :) I find it so hard to understand this.) Also I am supersensitive (notice detail in people and surroundings) and can meltdown when in situations which require nessesity to interact socially over a prolonged period of time (no respite or way to go to a quiet place and regroup).

Despite that, I am doing a PhD which means I can do mathematics and physics and I am glad that even though I make so many mistakes with people and actually all manner of things, there is still something I can do which keeps me functioning and allows me to lead a realtively good life, and hopefully will lead to a good job (if not in academia then somewhere). I am finding it hard though and feel quite isolated and so that is why I am here.

I hope this has made sense, and also that anyone reading this will have a really nice day. Do say hello if you like.

Psi

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Sep 2016, 7:37 am

Welcome to WP!

EgotisticalAltruist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

Hello Psi, it's nice to meet you and welcome to wrong planet. I was diagnosed in January of this year and it feels great knowing there's an explanation to why I have trouble relating to people. I love math and science so I'm very impressed that you're pursuing a PhD, what is it in? I did exceptionally well in high school but I didn't adjust to college life very well and dropped out 1 year short of a math bachelors. What kind of physics do you like? Without checking or looking online, I can tell you that the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 m/s and a meter was defined by the wavelength of a spectral line by an isotope of Krypton gas, which made the speed of light a whole number. Classical mechanics and relativity have always held my interest, ever since I was a teenager and heard that you couldn't go faster than light. Naturally I had to obsess on it until I had some sort of understanding lol.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 8:12 am

Welcome. :) I think you'll find there are a number of academic types here with experiences similar to yours. One thread you might like is this one:

viewtopic.php?t=200144

There Are Four Lights!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 10:44 am

Yep, it made sense----there's people here who can put a check-a-rooney, on ALL of these: "don't fit in", "advice and support", "how to navigate this strange illogical world", "making social mistakes", "very honest and straight talking and literal", "best to try to hide my autisticness", "supersensitive", "meltdown", "doing a PhD", "can do mathematics and physics", "academia", "feel quite isolated".....

You've come to the RIGHT place----WELCOME----and, YOU have a really nice day, TOO!!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 2:18 pm

Hey psi welcome. :sunny:

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm

alex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thank you, good to be here. :)

Psi

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 4:42 pm

EgotisticalAltruist wrote:
Hello Psi, it's nice to meet you and welcome to wrong planet. I was diagnosed in January of this year and it feels great knowing there's an explanation to why I have trouble relating to people. I love math and science so I'm very impressed that you're pursuing a PhD, what is it in? I did exceptionally well in high school but I didn't adjust to college life very well and dropped out 1 year short of a math bachelors. What kind of physics do you like? Without checking or looking online, I can tell you that the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 m/s and a meter was defined by the wavelength of a spectral line by an isotope of Krypton gas, which made the speed of light a whole number. Classical mechanics and relativity have always held my interest, ever since I was a teenager and heard that you couldn't go faster than light. Naturally I had to obsess on it until I had some sort of understanding lol.

Hi there, thank you and it's nice to meet you too.

Yes, it was a relief for me too (being diagnosed), to finally have a reason why I have thought and acted so differently from others.

My PhD is in Theoretical particle physics. I'm sorry you found adjusting to college life difficult, I can completely relate to that, the reason I have been able to hang on in there is really that I managed to focus on only the academic work and ignore the whole social thing as much as possible (which didn't make me popular :) ). I can totally understand dropping out, I nearly did too but when I got my diagnosis, it made sense to carry on so I did my best and managed to get my degree and had a sympathetic supervisor and a mentor who helped me apply for PhDs and get a place.

I'm very impressed that you know the speed of light to that level of accuracy without having to check, that is a really cool data storage system of a brain you have there :D. I'm glad too that you like physics, yes special relativity is something which held my interest too, and Einstein was a hero of mine. Yes one of the postulates of special relativity - nothing can go faster than the speed of light, I too spent a lot of time trying to understand that. I'm so glad to hear someone else obsesses over understanding things :D )

I am interested in quantum field theory (or at least I spend a lot of my time trying to understand it with varying levels of success lol), and I'm interested in models of particle physics which explain what the standard model cannot (new particles too heavy to see at current collider energies but which can be written mathematically) and also grand unification. I like string theory (but don't understand it well because I have to focus on what I'm doing and not get distracted) I love that mathematics can explain the physical world and I find doing calculations very calming, and I think that is what gets me through. I am also interested in some astrophysics and physics of the very early universe.

Psi

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm

Darmok wrote:
Welcome. :) I think you'll find there are a number of academic types here with experiences similar to yours. One thread you might like is this one:

viewtopic.php?t=200144

Thank you very much Darmok

Psi

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Yep, it made sense----there's people here who can put a check-a-rooney, on ALL of these: "don't fit in", "advice and support", "how to navigate this strange illogical world", "making social mistakes", "very honest and straight talking and literal", "best to try to hide my autisticness", "supersensitive", "meltdown", "doing a PhD", "can do mathematics and physics", "academia", "feel quite isolated".....

You've come to the RIGHT place----WELCOME----and, YOU have a really nice day, TOO!!

Hi Campin_Cat, thank you very much - that is so good to hear :D

Psi

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 4:49 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
Hey psi welcome. :sunny:

Thank you RoadRatt :D

Psi

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:38 am

psi wrote:
Hello,

The reason I am here is that I am struggling a bit bith living in a world where I don't fit in, and decided to see if I could find some other people on the spectrum who have similar difficulties and understand. Also maybe I can get some advice and support (and maybe give it too if I have it to offer) on how to navigate this strange illogical world.

I was diagnosed with AS as an adult and have been studying in the sciences for some time. To an small extent I am accepted in my subject because more people doing what I do are a little different, but I still have a lot of problems with making social mistakes, tending to be very honest and straight talking and literal. I try very hard to 'follow the social rules' and to be diplomatic and understand people but I really don't manage it enough to prevent people from noticing me in a way which makes my life harder (I mean I have learned it is best to try to hide my autisticness if I want to be accepted or if not that, at least not rejected :) I find it so hard to understand this.) Also I am supersensitive (notice detail in people and surroundings) and can meltdown when in situations which require nessesity to interact socially over a prolonged period of time (no respite or way to go to a quiet place and regroup).

Despite that, I am doing a PhD which means I can do mathematics and physics and I am glad that even though I make so many mistakes with people and actually all manner of things, there is still something I can do which keeps me functioning and allows me to lead a realtively good life, and hopefully will lead to a good job (if not in academia then somewhere). I am finding it hard though and feel quite isolated and so that is why I am here.

I hope this has made sense, and also that anyone reading this will have a really nice day. Do say hello if you like.

I'm curious, what would you estimate the prevalence of ASD to be, within the Physics and Maths depts to which you have been exposed?

:D

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

slave wrote:
psi wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious, what would you estimate the prevalence of ASD to be, within the Physics and Maths depts to which you have been exposed?

Not High sadly, you would think that it would be. I have encountered people with positions in academia in physics and maths, but I have only met one PhD student and no post docs. I think a good education and support when you are young helps immensely, I didn't have this (left school at a young age) but have so far managed to (study as an adult and) carry on, I guess through hard work and focusing. I wish more people with ASDs could carry on in education, but the social demands make it so difficult for us to stay, also we are different and this is hard for NTs to accept. I remain positive though, because I can achieve more if I allow myself to have hope and try to be the best I can be.

Psi

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 6:24 pm

psi wrote:
slave wrote:
psi wrote:
Hello,

Not High sadly, you would think that it would be. I have encountered people with positions in academia in physics and maths, but I have only met one PhD student and no post docs. I think a good education and support when you are young helps immensely, I didn't have this (left school at a young age) but have so far managed to (study as an adult and) carry on, I guess through hard work and focusing. I wish more people with ASDs could carry on in education, but the social demands make it so difficult for us to stay, also we are different and this is hard for NTs to accept. I remain positive though, because I can achieve more if I allow myself to have hope and try to be the best I can be.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that.

I agree.

Fwiw, I am very impressed with your ability to push through such adversity. :D

May you succeed in all of your endeavors. :D

psi
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm

slave wrote:
psi wrote:
slave wrote:
psi wrote:
Hello,

I'm a bit surprised to hear that.

I agree.

Fwiw, I am very impressed with your ability to push through such adversity. :D

May you succeed in all of your endeavors. :D

Thank you :D

Psi