Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2016, 4:30 pm

Tell me how is it better or too much different from gay pride? If I was gay, I don't think it'd be anything to be necessarily "PROUD" of. I'm bisexual btw and that's just me but I have no pride nor shame about it. Being gay or Autistic really does have negatives how can anyone like to be this way?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:37 pm

Personally, I don not believe in nor do I understand things like gay pride or I have this or that condition pride. I just don't understand it. I know that other people feel that way and I guess that is fine for them. I don't have a problem with them feeling that if that is something that is helpful to them. I just don't understand it.

I am not proud of being Autistic anymore than I am proud of having cafe au lait skin and brown eyes. It just does not make any sense to me why it's something I should be proud of. If other people want to be proud, let them be. But for me, I see no reason in it.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 08 Nov 2016, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2016, 4:41 pm

Maybe pride is the wrong word.

I think autism pride, like gay pride, just means not being ashamed of being autistic or gay — or rather, not thinking of autism or homosexuality as something defective and shameful.

So you need a word that means the opposite of shame. Unfortunately, English then just bounces you to the other extreme, and you get pride. There doesn't seem to be a word for the neutral position — not shame, not pride, just is.

But I think that's what's meant by autism pride.

Either that, or it's an over-correction like a pendulum swing for so many years of autism shame.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm

Well if it's a I'm not ashamed thing, then yeah, I am all for that. That makes sense to me. We should not be ashamed of who we are. Now I don't need to wear tshirts and block up the city streets to have a parade to show others that I am not ashamed to be who I am but to each his own and if you want to have a parade than I won't stop you.

Wreck It Ralph

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:50 pm

Slogans are built by public-relations experts. So, maybe "Autism Pride" should have been coined as "Autism Strong" or "Living Autism Everyday." Same with the "LGBT Pride" slogan. It should have always been "LGBT Diverse."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

I love "Living Autism Everyday." For me, I feel that that sums it up perfectly. I really do love that. It says a lot but it's very respectful and even subtle.

Wreck It Ralph

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 5:14 pm

skibum wrote:
I love "Living Autism Everyday." For me, I feel that that sums it up perfectly. I really do love that. It says a lot but it's very respectful and even subtle.

I wasn't sure, but I believe it was originally "Martha Stewart Everyday." Hehe. Maybe I should have gone into branding.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 5:19 pm

I know "Everyday with Rachael Ray!" :D

But I think you got it right with "Living Autism Everyday!"

Wreck It Ralph

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 5:22 pm

skibum wrote:
I know "Everyday with Rachael Ray!" :D

But I think you got it right with "Living Autism Everyday!"

Hahaha! I forgot about that one. Thanks!

I guess I meant that there are far better slogans if people just tried.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 6:10 pm

Amaltheia wrote:

I think autism pride, like gay pride, just means not being ashamed of being autistic or gay — or rather, not thinking of autism or homosexuality as something defective and shameful.

So you need a word that means the opposite of shame. Unfortunately, English then just bounces you to the other extreme, and you get pride. There doesn't seem to be a word for the neutral position — not shame, not pride, just is.

Either that, or it's an over-correction like a pendulum swing for so many years of autism shame.

This.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2016, 7:00 pm

I think autistic people could learn a thing or two from the communities of schizophrenia, bipolar, addiction etc.
and there is an unintended consequence of not classifying autism as a disease like schizophrenia, bipolar, addiction etc. which the pride groups do.
If we do not do that, neither will "they". Hence there are "studies" showing a supposed link between autism, narcissism, or sociopathy because "they" now agree with the pride groups that autism isn't a disease. The pride group thinks it is a gift, which i disagree with, and the hate groups think all autistic people are monsters, which is untrue. I think it is a medical condition, which places me outside what I think is a false dichotomy.

-Johnnyh

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 7:48 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Amaltheia wrote:

This.
Exactly. It's not about being proud per se, it's about not being ashamed of who you are, accepting yourself for who you are. As Amaltheia said, there just isn't a better word for it, but being content with how your are and self acceptance would be good definitions of what it entails.

Being an aspie is also a significant part of our identity for some of us, and says something about who we identify with, not unlike how nationality feels for a lot of other people. I see it as happiness for what you have, not feeling better than other neurologies/nations, but being happy about your own and content with having been born into it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 8:00 pm

I like the words "autism acceptance" best.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 8:31 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Amaltheia wrote:

This.
Exactly. It's not about being proud per se, it's about not being ashamed of who you are, accepting yourself for who you are.

I thought it was also about autism conveying positive, desirable traits that people actually are proud of per se.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

I think it's supposed to be a solidarity thing for whatever group you belong to or identify with. Basically another trendy thing that gets overused.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 11:17 pm

screen_name wrote:
I like the words "autism acceptance" best.

I feel the same way. I think acceptance is the best word.