Natural ways to help anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

My anxiety which is just bearable right now is going to be worse in the coming days, what are some ways to help it without drugs? Smoking cigarettes is not possible for me anymore and apparently it was not a great thing for anxiety anyway from what I have read today. I find green tea helps but it could be a placebo, I am not sure. Apparently the anti-anxiety qualities in green tea isn't normally found in America's version. Regardless, its not going to help enough. I am okay with herbal remedies. Lavender is suppose to help, would lavender candles help? I know during the 18th century, people cooked with lavender, and I would like to try that but I am sure any lavender on the current market probably has other things added to it. I have lavender growing but not in a state to get any results.

There is no way I can get any kind of treatment for anxiety so it would have to be something I can get from a store.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 9:06 pm

Passion flower tincture seemed to work partially for my anxiety. You can get that easy enough. Try some Sleepytime tea during the day which helps too. I didn't find lavender oil worked that well unless I used a diffuser or I put several drops on my pillow right next to my nose when I go to sleep.

Exercise can help as well, doesn't really matter what.

Halbert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2016, 9:41 pm

I haven't found anti-anxiety meds to be very helpful, except very short term. I get a little help from an SSRI, but some of them made me worse. Exercise really is the best thing in the long run. An hour's brisk walk in the woods or biking down a country road can do a lot of good for my head. If I do that 3 times a week for a month, it starts to feel pretty good for my body too.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 9:58 pm

Actually walking is good and has helped this last year, I haven't actually got out much at all lately, that is good suggestion thanks. As for other exercise, it doesn't have quite the effect of walking for me, I am normally pacing and its so easy to get lost in the movement of casually walking. I did push ups for a while but it didn't have the same effect, maybe that is why I started walking less.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:16 am

Deep relaxation, progressive relaxation, or meditation practices can also help. You can find some scripts on YouTube, I am told. Another way to approach that is to take a class, or a shrink can teach you.

You can put a drop of lavender oil on a handkerchief or cotton ball and sniff it occasionally.

I am really impressed with the things you are willing to try, and wish you the best of luck in your progress.