Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 6:50 am

I DO say interesting things. Sometimes I can be a bit of a class clown. Sometimes I say stuff that sound inspirational (I scripted it from elsewhere).

However, there are some students that act like I'm a saint or something. They always tell me what a good and interesting person I am, and stuff like that. I haven't seen them be like that to anyone else. The latest example:

"You live inside all of us!"

"You should be the ruler of our people!"

Does it sound like they just really enjoy my presence? Or does it sound like they sense something off about me and are patronising? A bit of both? I've not told them about my diagnosis.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 7:10 am

To me, it sounds very sarcastic and patronising.

saffron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2016, 8:17 am

Yeah, sounds like a sarcastic and mean thing for someone to say. :( Sorry

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2016, 8:33 am

I don't know if they sound sincere or not, maybe they are just weirdos? What odd things to say to someone...

saffron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2016, 8:34 am

xile123 wrote:
I don't know if they sound sincere or not, maybe they are just weirdos? What odd things to say to someone...

Yeah I agree, I feel like it is something I might say to someone, but I am not sure most NTs would.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 8:54 am

Perhaps yes
Perhaps no.

You may be bringing them to see parts of themselves in you. 8)

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 9:01 am

Well, even if they are patronising, that's okay. I know these people well enough to know that they probably aren't being mean, and they are probably doing it with good intention. I hang out more with people who don't do any patronisation anyway.

Two of the ones who "patronise" are in an organisation that have NTs make friends ("buddies") with people with developmental disabilities, like cerebral palsy, down syndrome, and autism. I wonder if they patronise their "buddies". :(

saffron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2016, 10:01 am

248RPA wrote:
Well, even if they are patronising, that's okay. I know these people well enough to know that they probably aren't being mean, and they are probably doing it with good intention. I hang out more with people who don't do any patronisation anyway.

Two of the ones who "patronise" are in an organisation that have NTs make friends ("buddies") with people with developmental disabilities, like cerebral palsy, down syndrome, and autism. I wonder if they patronise their "buddies". :(

Yeah, sometimes it can be done in a friendly context. I used to quite like it when nice people teased me because it meant they thought our friendship was at an acceptable stage

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2016, 2:41 am

Yes. They hate you because you are intelligent.
And because you are good.
NT's never want to be seen as being a goodie two shoes.
And they do not like to be the first to answer questions lest they be wrong (embarassing), get labeled a know it all (as you have been), or simply being seen as smart.

If you want to fit in, say less - answer only if asked, that way you can still be correct, but people will know you are smart.
See NT's hate smart people that demonstrate it openly, it makes them feel dumb and they hate that. They get jealous very easily.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2016, 9:07 am

When you share your thoughts/ideas on things, do you share if with the whole class? It's possible that what you find interesting and inspirational, isn't all that interesting to them.

They could be making fun of you, high school students are generally very sarcastic and can probably get away with using sarcastic insults more than direct insults.

Especially if they think you're oblivious to it when they are.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 11:45 pm

Moccu wrote:
It's possible that what you find interesting and inspirational, isn't all that interesting to them.

It's not that it sounds inspirational to me. THEY tell ME that it sounds good or inspirational or whatever. "Inspirational" is not the best word, but I can't think of a better one right now.

Often times, I'll say something about life, and they'll say something like, "I've never thought about it that way. You just helped understand my life."

Of course, it may just be undetected sarcasm.

But the classmates are in an organisation are whose whole purpose is to make people more tolerant toward differences. That's why I think they're not doing it with bad intent, since they would be going against the theme of the organisation.
(The organisation has NTs make friends ("buddies") with people with developmental disabilities, like cerebral palsy, down syndrome, and autism, so I wonder if they patronise their "buddies".)

Of course, there ARE hypocrites in the world.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2016, 9:40 am

248RPA wrote:
Moccu wrote:
It's possible that what you find interesting and inspirational, isn't all that interesting to them.

It's not that it sounds inspirational to me. THEY tell ME that it sounds good or inspirational or whatever. "Inspirational" is not the best word, but I can't think of a better one right now.

Often times, I'll say something about life, and they'll say something like, "I've never thought about it that way. You just helped understand my life."

Of course, it may just be undetected sarclcasm.

But the classmates are in an organisation are whose whole purpose is to make people more tolerant toward differences. That's why I think they're not doing it with bad intent, since they would be going against the theme of the organisation.
(The organisation has NTs make friends ("buddies") with people with developmental disabilities, like cerebral palsy, down syndrome, and autism, so I wonder if they patronise their "buddies".)

Of course, there ARE hypocrites in the world.

Oh, I thought you meant a regular class in school or something. I'm sure most of them are pretty genuine about what they say, then.

Maybe there could be a couple that aren't, but I doubt a lot on of people would join or be able to stay in that organisation if they had the intention of making fun of you and others.

Seems like you're most likely fine, but are you usually paranoid about people not being genuine about what they say?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

Moccu wrote:
Oh, I thought you meant a regular class in school or something. I'm sure most of them are pretty genuine about what they say, then.

Maybe there could be a couple that aren't, but I doubt a lot on of people would join or be able to stay in that organisation if they had the intention of making fun of you and others.

Seems like you're most likely fine, but are you usually paranoid about people not being genuine about what they say?

I'm sorry that I was unclear.

My school IS a NORMAL school. Those are my classmates in Advanced Placement classes. The organisation is SEPERATE from the school. I only know that they are in the organisation because they often talk about it.