Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:25 am

If a couple had twins (one boy and one girl), and they lived in a 3-bedroom house with one small bedroom and two large bedrooms, what bedrooms would the twins have when they become old enough to have their own bedrooms?
The parents would want one of the big bedrooms because they have a king-size bed, but one of the twins will have to have the small bedroom while the other gets the big bedroom.

Usually the oldest child gets the biggest room (for some reason) but in this case there are twins, and they might argue over the big room and whoever gets the little room will think it's "unfair". How would this be solved?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:42 am

Obviously, one of the twins will have to go.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:46 am

Or they could get rid of both twins and turn the house into a cat sanctuary.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:40 am

Um, no, I don't think that's a right answer (although I love cats).

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:39 am

How much is the size difference between bigger and smaller? Technically, even though they are twins, one is still older than the other even if it's by a few minutes, so there's that. Or you could give the bigger one for the girl and use a little ingenuity to get the most out of the space available for the boy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

I don't know what standard-sized houses are like in other countries but here in the UK an average 3-bedroom house usually consists of 2 big bedrooms and one small bedroom or "box room" as they call it. The small bedroom is a lot less spacious than the bigger bedrooms. If you had same-sex twins you can have them share the same room (one of the bigger bedrooms), and leave the small bedroom as a study or something. I know twins are born roughly a few minutes apart but to me they're still the same age. It's just that if one twin has the big bedroom, it just feels unfair for the other twin to have a small cramped bedroom. Usually, for some reason, the boy will get the bigger room.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

I'd look at trying to balance the factors and negotiate between the twins- if one of them had a hobby like playing the drums, then the extra space would be required for example.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

In America (at least for me), the bedrooms (other than master) was all similar in size. If one was a few feet smaller, it usually had a walk-in closet. So if one room had a larger closet, I would assume to give it to the girl.

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2017, 4:13 pm

voidofcontext wrote:
I'd look at trying to balance the factors and negotiate between the twins- if one of them had a hobby like playing the drums, then the extra space would be required for example.

Yeah, that's what I'd do too. And what my parents would have done had they been in the same situation.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't know what standard-sized houses are like in other countries but here in the UK an average 3-bedroom house usually consists of 2 big bedrooms and one small bedroom or "box room" as they call it. The small bedroom is a lot less spacious than the bigger bedrooms. If you had same-sex twins you can have them share the same room (one of the bigger bedrooms), and leave the small bedroom as a study or something. I know twins are born roughly a few minutes apart but to me they're still the same age. It's just that if one twin has the big bedroom, it just feels unfair for the other twin to have a small cramped bedroom. Usually, for some reason, the boy will get the bigger room.

I reckon they'll argue it out. My sibling and I, though not twins, have swapped rooms several times in the past. In fact, I wanted to move in to the "box" room, previously called the "spare room". I don't know any male/female twins, so couldn't say which, if either, gender gets preferential treatment.

Also, twins can be born hours apart.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:39 pm

Have them flip a coin.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 8:12 pm

The parents should get divorced and the parent staying should get the little room.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm

If they traditionally select by age, one should remember that one twin is technically older than the other. Or maybe they could flip a coin or rock-paper-scissors and the winner gets the bigger room.

I thing divorcing or getting rid of one twin is awfully extreme. :lol:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 11:22 pm

This dispute would be resolved in a Mortal Kombat style cage fight to the death of course.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 1:12 am

simple, the twins get the small bedroom and the larger bedroom gets converted into a man cave for dad, with a huge tv and hifi system.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm

There were 4 of us kids in our family. I have a twin brother. Almost all of us had each bedroom throughout the years, aside from the Master bedroom which was our parents'. My twin brother and I shared a room for many years, then when my father closed in the garage to make a larger bedroom for our older brother, my twin brother moved into his small bedroom downstairs. He wanted to move into that room and I didn't mind staying right where I was in the larger bedroom. There wasn't really any fighting over it. It just sort of worked out. Later on when our older brother moved out, my twin brother moved into his large bedroom.. then I moved into the small bedroom downstairs and the larger one upstairs became a spare guest room at that point, I think. Our sister had a small bedroom upstairs and I don't think she ever moved into the larger one before moving out.

Anyways, they might not have to pick favourites or have an argument. They might just decide who wants which room for whatever reason and that's that.