A woman showed possible interest in me, and I got scared. :(

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 2:14 pm

This is going to sound laughable, facepalm-inducing, or downright crazy for male aspie readers, but bear with me. I'll make a lot more sense once you get a little deeper into reading. It's about how I met a woman who might have liked me, only instead of being happy or excited, I became scared.

Last Friday after work, I went to a trivia night at a bar, with my interest group. As we took our seats at tables and formed teams, a woman I never met before took a seat next to me. She looked about 31 (this is important), and was pretty cute. She immediately introduced herself with a handshake. As we talked between trivia rounds, I found her engaging in behaviors that would suggest subtle romantic interest: turning her body toward me, touching my upper arm, briefly grabbing my hand while laughing at something I said, making extended eye contact, etc. Later, when the trivia ended, music came on, and people mingled about, I even taught her to swing dance while holding hands with her. But my uneasy feeling never left me. I think she picked up on it, because we ended up parting ways without exchanging numbers. Even now, I feel more relieved than upset with myself, even though she seemed friendly.

I think my fear was triggered my seeing people in my social circle, who are all ages 28 to 36, settle down en masse. A few even had kids. While they're still as good of friends as before, doing anything fun with them has become impossible. And if I introduce a new lady friend to them, she'll want marriage and babies from me.

Interestingly, when a 22-year-old (soon to be 23) acted in a similar way around me, my initial reaction was intrigued and skeptical, but not scared. Namely, why exactly would a woman in her prime be into me, when she has access to men her age that are better than me? Especially considering just how hideously ugly I was at 22. But after I spent a some time with her, I was floored by how non-threatening she was, and found her very endearing. I was even partially relieved when I learned that she only liked me as a friend. I think what put me at ease with this friend was her age. 22-year-olds are likely to still want to go out and have fun, even if in the context of a relationship. Unlike people 28 to 36, many of whom are rushing headstrong into homebody/marriage/kids. Maybe sincerely, but equally possibly to flaunt to the world how "mature" and "serious" they are.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 2:57 pm

Possibly because deep down; you know you're not a good relationship material, like me.

viewtopic.php?t=339013&p=7509804&sid=8449b94c90cc9cff79bb1518c0ea431f#p7509804

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2017, 9:43 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
This is going to sound laughable, facepalm-inducing, or downright crazy for male aspie readers, but bear with me. I'll make a lot more sense once you get a little deeper into reading. It's about how I met a woman who might have liked me, only instead of being happy or excited, I became scared.

Last Friday after work, I went to a trivia night at a bar, with my interest group. As we took our seats at tables and formed teams, a woman I never met before took a seat next to me. She looked about 31 (this is important), and was pretty cute. She immediately introduced herself with a handshake. As we talked between trivia rounds, I found her engaging in behaviors that would suggest subtle romantic interest: turning her body toward me, touching my upper arm, briefly grabbing my hand while laughing at something I said, making extended eye contact, etc. Later, when the trivia ended, music came on, and people mingled about, I even taught her to swing dance while holding hands with her. But my uneasy feeling never left me. I think she picked up on it, because we ended up parting ways without exchanging numbers. Even now, I feel more relieved than upset with myself, even though she seemed friendly.

I think my fear was triggered my seeing people in my social circle, who are all ages 28 to 36, settle down en masse. A few even had kids. While they're still as good of friends as before, doing anything fun with them has become impossible. And if I introduce a new lady friend to them, she'll want marriage and babies from me.

Interestingly, when a 22-year-old (soon to be 23) acted in a similar way around me, my initial reaction was intrigued and skeptical, but not scared. Namely, why exactly would a woman in her prime be into me, when she has access to men her age that are better than me? Especially considering just how hideously ugly I was at 22. But after I spent a some time with her, I was floored by how non-threatening she was, and found her very endearing. I was even partially relieved when I learned that she only liked me as a friend. I think what put me at ease with this friend was her age. 22-year-olds are likely to still want to go out and have fun, even if in the context of a relationship. Unlike people 28 to 36, many of whom are rushing headstrong into homebody/marriage/kids. Maybe sincerely, but equally possibly to flaunt to the world how "mature" and "serious" they are.

being an aspie myself,that'll never be me,EVER

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 4:52 am

some of this happens to me, over and over and over. deer in headlights effect more likely.

Aspie1 wrote:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 7:16 am

I've had this type of reaction on several occasions. Afterwards I really regret it.

Back in middle school girls used to ask me out and I'd say no, not because I disliked them but because I was too scared to go on a date. What kind of redblooded boy would have such a reaction?

I liked girls but at the same time I was scared of dating. For that reason I missed out on dating experience during my formative years and now I'm still trying to learn the skills I should have learned years ago.

Also stuff like that has happend more recently. One time about 4 years ago this woman was hitting on me. I tried to respond affirmatively but I got tounge tied.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2017, 8:38 am

Possibly, you felt something that you never felt before.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 7:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Possibly because deep down; you know you're not a good relationship material, like me.
We seem to have the same view on relationships, lol. I'm highly flattered when a younger woman or an older woman shows interest in me. Because I know they're into me for the right reasons: because they find me exciting and/or sexy. With women ages 28 thru 36, I'm very skeptical. Read below why.

Stalk wrote:
some of this happens to me, over and over and over. deer in headlights effect more likely.
No, it's not deer in the headlights. Hasn't been for the past 5 years. Having a woman show interest in me no longer shocks me or blindsides me. I know I'm good enough to get women to like me. What I am afraid of is women liking me for the wrong reasons. Namely, not because they find me exciting and fun, but because they see me as an easy man to settle down with. So whenever a woman my age shows interest in me, I have to be super-vigilant to make sure it's for the former reasons, and not for the latter.

Keigan wrote:
Possibly, you felt something that you never felt before.
Nope, not even close. My main reaction to that woman showing interest in me was fear. For reasons outlined above.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 8:48 pm

Ok, lemme explain the deal with babies, since that appears to be a big hangup...

I was scared to death of babies and having them. Like, holy crap, what do I do with them? This will totally ruin my life!

But I went the distance and knocked my girl up. Not because I wanted kids. Because it was the frikkin RIGHT THING TO DO.

Trust me. Marry a nice girl. Make babies. Make LOTS of them. You will NOT regret it, I promise!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 8:56 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Ok, lemme explain the deal with babies, since that appears to be a big hangup...

I was scared to death of babies and having them. Like, holy crap, what do I do with them? This will totally ruin my life!

But I went the distance and knocked my girl up. Not because I wanted kids. Because it was the frikkin RIGHT THING TO DO.

Trust me. Marry a nice girl. Make babies. Make LOTS of them. You will NOT regret it, I promise!
Good god, AngelRho, you gave me a panic attack there! Way, way worse than the woman in the bar. (I was able to get a hold of my self back then.) Good thing I don't read WP at work. Otherwise my colleagues would be scraping me off the floor now. If my next girlfriend says she wants a baby from me, I'll run away faster than a bunny rabbit from a pit bull.

No, thanks! No babies for me. I'd rather give myself a vasectomy. With scissors, vodka for disinfection, a towel to bite on, and a sewing kit to close that _hit up.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:39 am

AngelRho wrote:

That's right. Aspie1 will never regret having babies. Nobody does. Some people are scared of it, but the parenting "instinct" is inborn and don't need learning, so once you have them, you automatically become a caring father.

So, Aspie1, just get hold of a marriage-material girl and start producing those little Aspies. The world needs them. :mrgreen:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 3:07 am

Don't listen to them Aspie1! If you have kids you'll have to pay hundreds of thousands to raise each of them. Have you noticed that parents don't have much disposable income? Have you noticed they rarely buy things for themselves?

That's because once you become a parent, you're no longer living for yourself, you're living for them. You care more about their education and future career than you care about advancing your own career.

Forget about sleep for the first six months. You'll be incredibly tired. And when it gets past the feeding stage? I know a woman from work who's 8 year old wakes her up in the middle of the night. Sleep deprivation will harm your career.

Daycare fees will sap your income and you'll have little time for yourself. Being a parent is like taking a second full-time job while also dealing with severe sleep deprivation. A second full-time job with no pay. In fact it uses much of your salary from your actual job.

They say everything will be fine after you have a baby but I'm sure you've heard of post-postpartum depression. I exists for a reason. You like going out to fun places? Not when you have a kid to look after. RIP social life.

I know they'll tell you the "parenting instinct" will take over and make you feel good. Sure it will. Parenting releases endorphins into the brain just like narcotics do. You wouldn't take drugs would you? Fatherhood also increases a man's [url =http://www.livescience.com/46322-fatherhood-changes-brain.html]estrogen levels![/url] You wouldn't inject yourself with estrogen would you!? Not to mention that being sleep deprived is as bad as being drunk and parenting causes sleep deprivation. If you got no sleep because of your kid and then you drove to work, that would be just as dangerous as driving drunk.

Your kid will act up. How do you deal with that? Too harsh in your discipline and you're a monster. To lenient in your discipline and the child becomes a monster. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice.

Your life is not the only one that could be ruined. If you screw up you screw up their lives. How could you accept such a stupendous responsibility!

As for having "lots of babies", by the gods!, if you have kids (and that's a very big if), have one or two, don't have ten. Having "lots of babies" will be bad for you and them, it means raising them in poverty. Having a baby is a bad idea but having "lots of babies" is sheer madness!

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 3:31 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I know they'll tell you the "parenting instinct" will take over and make you feel good. Sure it will. Parenting releases endorphins into the brain just like narcotics do. You wouldn't take drugs would you? Fatherhood also increases a man's [url =http://www.livescience.com/46322-fatherhood-changes-brain.html]estrogen levels![/url] You wouldn't inject yourself with estrogen would you!? Not to mention that being sleep deprived is as bad as being drunk and parenting causes sleep deprivation. If you got no sleep because of your kid and then you drove to work, that would be just as dangerous as driving drunk.

Life is meant to be enjoyable. First, you have a huge infatuation, and then you kick your endorphins with parenthood. That's how evolution meant things to be, so it made sure people pursued it by making it highly pleasant. Sure, you can decide you don't want any of it, and only pursue casual sex, but it will not be as enjoyable. Simply because evolution meant it to be that way.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Don't listen to them Aspie1! If you have kids you'll have to pay hundreds of thousands to raise each of them. Have you noticed that parents don't have much disposable income? Have you noticed they rarely buy things for themselves?

Yes, and when you become old with no children, you will pass away with nobody that cares for you. And you cannot take your career or money with you.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:08 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

That's because once you become a parent, you're no longer living for yourself, you're living for them. You care more about their education and future career than you care about advancing your own career.

Forget about sleep for the first six months. You'll be incredibly tired. And when it gets past the feeding stage? I know a woman from work who's 8 year old wakes her up in the middle of the night. Sleep deprivation will harm your career.

Daycare fees will sap your income and you'll have little time for yourself. Being a parent is like taking a second full-time job while also dealing with severe sleep deprivation. A second full-time job with no pay. In fact it uses much of your salary from your actual job.

They say everything will be fine after you have a baby but I'm sure you've heard of post-postpartum depression. I exists for a reason. You like going out to fun places? Not when you have a kid to look after. RIP social life.

Your kid will act up. How do you deal with that? Too harsh in your discipline and you're a monster. To lenient in your discipline and the child becomes a monster. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice.

Your life is not the only one that could be ruined. If you screw up you screw up their lives. How could you accept such a stupendous responsibility!

As for having "lots of babies", by the gods!, if you have kids (and that's a very big if), have one or two, don't have ten. Having "lots of babies" will be bad for you and them, it means raising them in poverty. Having a baby is a bad idea but having "lots of babies" is sheer madness!

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 5:10 am

Some people just don't want kids. Is that really so hard to fathom? I've seen plenty of awful, horrible parents who should never have had children and clearly wish they didn't.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2017, 6:40 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I've had this type of reaction on several occasions. Afterwards I really regret it.

Back in middle school girls used to ask me out and I'd say no, not because I disliked them but because I was too scared to go on a date. What kind of redblooded boy would have such a reaction?

I liked girls but at the same time I was scared of dating. For that reason I missed out on dating experience during my formative years and now I'm still trying to learn the skills I should have learned years ago.

Also stuff like that has happend more recently. One time about 4 years ago this woman was hitting on me. I tried to respond affirmatively but I got tounge tied.

as an aspie,i could imagine that being me when i was in school (being called a girl's boyfriend,being called cute by another girl),but now i could imagine that being me on a subway train (being smiled at) or workplace (being called cute regardless of my aspergers).

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 7:00 am

rdos wrote:
Life is meant to be enjoyable. First, you have a huge infatuation, and then you kick your endorphins with parenthood. That's how evolution meant things to be, so it made sure people pursued it by making it highly pleasant. Sure, you can decide you don't want any of it, and only pursue casual sex, but it will not be as enjoyable. Simply because evolution meant it to be that way.

Yes, and when you become old with no children, you will pass away with nobody that cares for you. And you cannot take your career or money with you.
First paragraph is not true for beta males like myself. And casual sex is enjoyable: why else would alpha males always pursue it. Plus, I've had something similar to casual sex: escort sex. Man, you should have seen the smile on my face during the train ride home afterwards :D. People probably wondered what the hell is wrong with me.

Second paragraph, I don't care. While I was growing up, my family said they "cared about me". Which boiled down to this: telling me what to do, and not letting me have fun. I'm 100% sure my wife will "care" about me too. Plus, without kids to raise, I'll have plenty of money for a great nursing home to go to. Then I'll just run the Red Pill game on the female residents. Heck, maybe even on the young, attractive nurses ;). (Well, being a new field, the Red Pill hasn't studied how elderly women react to it; their focus was solely on women 18 to 50. Maybe I can be their pilot-tester :).)

Sabreclaw wrote:
Some people just don't want kids. Is that really so hard to fathom? I've seen plenty of awful, horrible parents who should never have had children and clearly wish they didn't.
You know, when I was little, I was very lonely growing up. I had no same-age siblings and few friends. So I wanted to get married at age 18, and have a family with 5 kids. But as I got older, I learned how horrible marriage is and how my wife will emotionally abuse me and/or control me. Family members and their friends also told me things that pretty much amount to this: you will never be a free man. So now, I am a free man. And I'm pretty sure I'll make a bad father, just as I would make a bad husband.

Most importantly, childhood is one of the most unpleasant things in the world. It's a miserable experience: you don't have any freedoms, you can't have alcohol, and you can't smoke. Come to think of it, it's like prison, something we give only to convicted criminals. There's no way I'd knowingly put an innocent person through it. Especially someone who you can't even ask if he/she wants to be born or not.

Going back to the original topic, I know for a fact that a woman my age will demand a baby from me if I start any kind of a relationship with her. So you can't blame me for getting scared when that woman showed interest. (I don't get the same scared reaction to women under 28 or over 36.)