Does anybody here desire for intimacy?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 4:19 pm

Is there anybody here who desires for intimacy with someone? This may be a generic question to some people, but I am gonna talk about it anyway. I honestly desire intimacy with another person, due to my loneliness and isolation, and all of my emotions hardly leaving my head. Can any of you kinda relate to this?

With all curiousity and thanks,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 25, 2017)

Last edited by LegoMaster2149 on 25 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

torch_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

Yes. This is pretty normal and common, whether ND or NT.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 4:30 pm

Honestly, I feel like the intimacy is kinda eating away at my heart. I am not desperate. Hopefully I won't feel alone someday.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

I can relate, I don't really feel close to anyone...
Intimacy does feel like it's tearing at my heart. Honestly it's starting to make me want to just block out feelings, live my life just as some people say autistic people act, robot, a doll, or some inanimate object.

I have tried making friends, attempting to get closer to people but it didn't work. No one tells you how and I have family members who don't actively go out making friends, yet people still want to be their friend so... Apparently it's something with me.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

Yes, I do. I am beginning to think that it will be impossible for me, however.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

IstominFan wrote:

Sometimes I feel like that too.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm

I definitely have a desire for it. I feel almost defined by my loneliness at this point and absolutely hate it.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2017, 3:11 pm

I think everyone needs and wants intimacy. Evidently (certainly in my case when I was in school) Asperger's can make intimacy impossible, with a subconscious, uncontrollable fear of intimacy or social interaction.

That can be disastrous to a person's life. My suggestion is to not ever let fear of taking social chances limit your experiences. Those fears and hesitations must be disregarded. That's an important emphasis for any high-school or pre-secondary student, because that's the important, crucial part of life, the time that matters most.

Easier said than done, sure. But necessary. The difficult thing is letting the other person know of your feelings, and that was always my big fear.

Michael829

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

IstominFan wrote:

this.

i'm not even seeing hope, but it's ok.

i am living normally. i mean its not as important as water or air.

i don't like when people make it seem like it's the end of the world.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

Duh. I haven't been married and divorced three times (six if you count the relationships that were never made legally official) because I don't care about intimacy.

However, now that I have a clearer understanding of the neurology of autism, I have less and less hope of ever achieving the experience I've been seeking. In fact, I'm not sure if it's even possible for someone with my condition. I'm fairly convinced at this point that it's simply not possible for someone with autism to ever have that kind of connection with another human being. Not really - not fully, in the way that many neurotypicals are capable of.

We might occasionally have those momentary bursts of passion that forge a Romeo-and-Juliet sort of temporary fusion, that burns out like a flare gun in the night sky - but the long term, two-becoming-one pair-bonding that lasts a lifetime, like the sweet old couples holding hands on a park bench - no. I wish that were possible, I really do, but I just don't believe it anymore.

Our very condition keeps us locked inside our own heads, and makes us incapable of maintaining awareness of other people's needs. We will always be a disappointment to those who attempt closeness with us, because their reality will never be quite real to us. We cannot anticipate their needs, we rarely recognize their needs, and even when we do, we often are clueless as to how to respond to those needs. No matter how wonderfully a relationship begins, no matter how perfectly we pretend to be normal, eventually, our true nature wins out, and it's just not what regular people need, because real intimacy is beyond our capacity to create and maintain.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:41 pm

Quote:
We cannot anticipate their needs, we rarely recognize their needs, and even when we do, we often are clueless as to how to respond to those needs.

I can recognize needs; it's the responding appropriately that i struggle with, but i am really practicing. I have hope, lol.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm

Not since being red pilled...once you learn none of it is ever genuine anyway, and that you won't die from lack of it, life gets much easier.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2017, 11:29 pm

I have never desired intimacy in my entire life to either gender.

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Is there anybody here who desires for intimacy with someone? This may be a generic question to some people, but I am gonna talk about it anyway. I honestly desire intimacy with another person, due to my loneliness and isolation, and all of my emotions hardly leaving my head. Can any of you kinda relate to this?

With all curiousity and thanks,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 25, 2017)

solo
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2017, 12:10 am

I definitely desire it. I am too shy and work too much to get any opportunities and haven't kissed a girl since I was 19 (im 32 now) been hugged or even held hands. I still think about it daily, but am very used to never having it that I am am happier as I care less and less anymore. Pretty sad. Plus I see women have changed drastically since I was younger. I mostly see users and too materialistic type people that doesn't do anything for me. Oh well

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:13 am

In our language the word intimacy has several meanings and usages, some sexual, some not.

Rather than directly answer the question I'll add this, and say that it applies to more than just teen boys,

Quote:
Intimacy, I have come to believe, is not just a psychological fad,
a rallying cry of contemporary couples. It is based on a deep biological
need. Shortly after I began my career as a family therapist I was working
in a residential treatment center where troubled teenage boys were sent
by the courts. Through my work I began to discover what had been missing
for these kids: They needed support and affection, the opportunity to
express the range and intensity of their emotions. It was remarkable to
discover their depth of need, their depth of pain over the lack of
empathy from significant people in their lives.

It is only in the last 20 years that we recognize that infants need
to be held and touched. We know that they cannot grow--they literally
fail to thrive--unless they experience physical and emotional closeness
with another human being. What we often don't realize is that that need
for connection never goes away. It goes on throughout life. And in its
absence, symptoms develop--from the angry acting out of the adolescent
boys I saw, to depression, addiction, and illness. In fact, researchers
are just at the very beginning of understanding the relationship of
widespread depression among women to problems in their marriages.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/196912/intimacy-the-art-relationships

imhere
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2017, 9:32 pm

will@rd wrote:
Duh. I haven't been married and divorced three times (six if you count the relationships that were never made legally official) because I don't care about intimacy.

However, now that I have a clearer understanding of the neurology of autism, I have less and less hope of ever achieving the experience I've been seeking. In fact, I'm not sure if it's even possible for someone with my condition. I'm fairly convinced at this point that it's simply not possible for someone with autism to ever have that kind of connection with another human being. Not really - not fully, in the way that many neurotypicals are capable of.

We might occasionally have those momentary bursts of passion that forge a Romeo-and-Juliet sort of temporary fusion, that burns out like a flare gun in the night sky - but the long term, two-becoming-one pair-bonding that lasts a lifetime, like the sweet old couples holding hands on a park bench - no. I wish that were possible, I really do, but I just don't believe it anymore.

Our very condition keeps us locked inside our own heads, and makes us incapable of maintaining awareness of other people's needs. We will always be a disappointment to those who attempt closeness with us, because their reality will never be quite real to us. We cannot anticipate their needs, we rarely recognize their needs, and even when we do, we often are clueless as to how to respond to those needs. No matter how wonderfully a relationship begins, no matter how perfectly we pretend to be normal, eventually, our true nature wins out, and it's just not what regular people need, because real intimacy is beyond our capacity to create and maintain.

This makes me so incredibly sad because I love someone who views this like you do. He doesn't love me back, and it's because of ^^^, and if not for that, I know he would. I think that somewhere in that heart of his he does. But because of what you said, it will never matter. He pushes away anyway.