I’ve had a really bad day

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 5:09 pm

There have been times today where I felt sad; maybe the joy of Thanksgiving has already subsided, perhaps.

But, my Dad told me today during a discussion about how much to spend for Christmas presents, I didn’t really give him anything for Father’s Day (other than a card, presumably). In that moment, he made me feel like the black sheep of the family.

I so want to do right by him, especially nowadays with Mom gone. Any advice?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 5:23 pm

NYAspie wrote:
There have been times today where I felt sad; maybe the joy of Thanksgiving has already subsided, perhaps.

But, my Dad told me today during a discussion about how much to spend for Christmas presents, I didn’t really give him anything for Father’s Day (other than a card, presumably). In that moment, he made me feel like the black sheep of the family.

I so want to do right by him, especially nowadays with Mom gone. Any advice?

Ask his advice about specific gifts for your family members and others. He might know what they would like (and is affordable to you). Then, as a reward for his advice, ask him what he would like to do with you, one on one (like a restaurant dinner, a movie or a sports game). Remember, he lost his wife, and he sees her in you every time he looks at you. Show him that you have equal parts of him and your mother. Talk about your memories of her. He will love that.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)