Tooth extraction at dentist

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2018, 8:26 am

I'd had intermittent toothache for a few weeks in one my molar teeth. Yesterday I woke up at 3am in a lot of pain that didn't go away. I went to a dentist that opened at 8am near my workplace, and they gave me an emergency appointment at 2pm. The tooth looked fine until they did an x-ray that revealed it was decayed below the gumline. So they recommended extracting it which I agreed to. So they gave me local anaesthetic and called me back in after 15mins or so. They then checked if I was feeling any pain when they touched the affected area. I did so they had to top up the anaesthetic.

So a few minutes later the dentist started the procedure. It was very different to what I'd expected. I thought it would be quick, but the dentist was pulling and twisting for about ten minutes. Then I heard a big crack and the tooth had broken in half. They weren't able to remove the root that was still in my mouth, so said they'll have to refer me to a dental hospital in a few days to finish the extraction.

Once the anaesthetic wore off it became very painful, much worse than the original tooth ache. I got hold of some cocodamol which didn't seem to help. So I went to the local urgent care centre to try and get some stronger pain relief. They said I had to go to the Accident & Emergency department first to get referred to them. So I spoke to a nurse in the A&E department, she was very unhelpful and basically said they wouldn't give me anything stronger and that I'd need to wait two hours to see a doctor. I was very frustrated and stormed out.

So I decided to go to bed, and thankfully the pain eased a little bit and I was able to get a bit of sleep.

I've been told I need to go to the dental hospital tomorrow, but have been warned I may face a long wait to be seen. I'm very nervous after going through the traumatic experience yesterday. I expect a lot more difficult a procedure to get the remaining bit of tooth out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:37 am

Truly, a tooth extraction is a relatively painless procedure after you are given novocaine, or are given a more "general" anasthetic.

I hope the tooth can be saved, actually. Then you would get a root canal. The root canal, after the novocaine or the "general" anesthetic, is also a painless procedure. There can be moderate pain for a few days after the procedure, though that doesn't necessarily happen.

I am a person has had both teeth extracted and root canals.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:16 pm

Sounds like a bad experience.Was this a wisdom tooth?Its best to have those removed by a dental surgeon.

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2018, 7:09 am

I got the remaining bits of the molar removed on Friday at the Birmingham dental hospital. I was very impressed by the staff and facilities there. It was a very difficult procedure as the roots kept splintering, so they had to cut into the bone to dig them out. But it was made so much more manageable by all the friendly and compassionate staff. The area is still aching and sore but feels much better than it was before.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

HauntedKnight wrote:
I got the remaining bits of the molar removed on Friday at the Birmingham dental hospital. I was very impressed by the staff and facilities there. It was a very difficult procedure as the roots kept splintering, so they had to cut into the bone to dig them out. But it was made so much more manageable by all the friendly and compassionate staff. The area is still aching and sore but feels much better than it was before.

OH you poor thing! I just went through this in late November but I was lucky... my dentist sent me to an oral surgeon. He had to dissect the tooth "in situ" and take it out piecemeal, but he numbed me very thoroughly and it took about 30 minutes.

You'll be sore for awhile. Take your pain meds, but please also take calcium and vitamin D... eat oatmeal if you like it, it's got a lot of silica which is good for bone healing, get a lot of protein. Chicken soup. Beef tea.

DON'T SPIT WHEN YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH! There is a blood clot where the tooth came out and it's fragile now. If you spit, you can lose it, and if you lose it you will hurt terribly. Rinse GENTLY with saltwater and lean over and just let the water drop into the sink. Trust me on this, they hammered this into my head at the oral surgeon's. You should avoid spitting, drinking with a straw, hot liquids for maybe three weeks.

Good luck. I just got back on a solid diet about ten days ago. I'm going to need an implant so my adventure isn't even half over yet... best of luck to you, with yours.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 7:47 am

I have a feeling they'll be giving you more then a local anesthetic. They might put you under in order to do more extensive work to remove the tooth. Basically, they'll likely use a tool (forget what its called) that uses a lot of leverage to force piece of your tooth out. The procedure will go fine, but you'll definitely have pain for a few days. I'd imagine they'll send you home with a strong pain killer like a combination of hydrocodone with Tylenol.

claire124
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2021, 4:25 pm

This Friday I will have a tooth extraction. I'm very scared because I always was afraid of dentists and doctors. I have to go to the dentist but I feel scared.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 11:31 pm

You will get Novocain. It won’t hurt while they’re doing the extraction.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 1:11 am

After my last tooth extraction I didn't get any pain relief, or any antiobiotics, even when I developed an infection and dry socket. They just kept packing the hole with gauze. It was pretty hellish. It was a visiting surgeon whom I'll never need to see again (thank goodness - because I had a massive meltdown when he wouldn't prescribe anything).

My wisdom tooth extractions and root canals were always pain free, with my normal dental surgeon.

claire124
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2021, 8:13 am

Well, everything is okay now and it wasn't so horrible as I thought.