Why would my family say these bad things about marriage?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 12:01 pm

For as long as I lived, my family, immediate and extended, and their adult friends, would tell me things about what married life will be like. All of them were incredibly off-putting. Here's the list, not ascribed to any particular person or my age at the time it was said.

* "Forget about your interests! They're not important! What matters is how your and your wife other feel about each other." ("feel about each other" = "her interests")
Counter-argument: Why only her interests and not mine? Is it because she's a woman and I'm a man?

* "If you want a dog, and your wife doesn't, then you'll have to accept the fact that you can't have a dog!"
Counter-argument: Why can't she accept having a dog instead?

* "Right now, you have to obey your parents. When you grow up, you will have to obey your wife."
Counter-argument: Who will I have to obey if I stay single? :wink:

* "When your wife yells at you, you will be quiet and listen to her! She does it because she cares about you."
Counter-argument: Then screw her and her caring! I'm staying single, so I don't get yelled at.

* "You will meet a woman someday, and she'll care about you very much!" (said in an angry tone)
Counter-argument: Does that mean she'll use caring as an excuse to control me?

* "When your wife cooks something, you will eat it and be thankful for it, even if it's something you don't like!"
Counter-argument: What the fu__? :? And let me guess: I have to give up foods she doesn't like. :evil:

* (And more similar statements, the exact wording of which I forgot.)

I'm pretty sure the people in my life wanted me married off to a woman at some point. And they only recently made peace with my perpetually single, MGTOW-esque lifestyle. Then why would they tell me how horrible married life will be? :? Heck, they succeeded already! I'm more determined than ever to keep all romantically interested women at arm's length. While in the past, I at least enjoyed going on dates.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:15 pm

People say very similar stuff to me like about if I get married I'll have to get rid of most of my books. Basically lots and lots of s**t about compromise. I'm fairly certain they were trying to put me off getting married not the other way round, and no it isn't any easier being female although most of the comments to me have been from females.

I do think you should eat something if someone goes to the trouble of cooking for you though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:23 pm

Honestly, sometimes i feel a lot of married men sound like dogs.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:50 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
People say very similar stuff to me like about if I get married I'll have to get rid of most of my books. Basically lots and lots of s**t about compromise. I'm fairly certain they were trying to put me off getting married not the other way round, and no it isn't any easier being female although most of the comments to me have been from females.

I do think you should eat something if someone goes to the trouble of cooking for you though.

I was forced-fed the idea of "compromise" too. With "compromise" being a transparent euphemism for "never getting what I want". When I tried to question it, I got accused of "only thinking of myself" :( :roll: :evil:.

As for cooking/eating, I wasn't talking about effort. I was talking about forcing myself to eat foods my wife made that I can't stand (like French onion soup), when she knows it and still makes it.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 10:33 pm

I'd need context to be able to answer your question properly, but...

Sounds like you have a family of rigid thinkers, stuck in the world of stereotypes and clichés. If I was a wife (eek!) I'd be nothing like those descriptions, apart from caring about my spouse very much, but not to control him/her. You seem to have added the negative onto that point - what is so terrible about your wife caring about you?

As for the dog thing, it makes sense to me that if someone can't have something around, the other has to do without. I certainly wouldn't get a [pet I love] if my spouse hated them or was allergic or whatever, if we lived together. (You don't have to live together though! :))

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 11:31 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Sounds like you have a family of rigid thinkers, stuck in the world of stereotypes and clichés. If I was a wife (eek!) I'd be nothing like those descriptions, apart from caring about my spouse very much, but not to control him/her. You seem to have added the negative onto that point - what is so terrible about your wife caring about you?

As for the dog thing, it makes sense to me that if someone can't have something around, the other has to do without. I certainly wouldn't get a [pet I love] if my spouse hated them or was allergic or whatever, if we lived together. (You don't have to live together though! :))

My entire family always used "caring" as an excuse for forcing me do things I didn't like, taking away things I enjoyed, and punishing me for perceived transgressions, which included bad grades in school. All of which wouldn't be so bad, if the excuse weren't so cheesy and transparent. And my most recent girlfriend said she "cared about me" too, while treating me very poorly.

I wasn't talking about my wife being allergic, or work schedules not allowing time to care for a dog. I'm fine with those things. I was referring to her not wanting one just because. Or refusing to get one to make herself feel powerful. Yes, I used to think that way, and still do to an extent.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 12:24 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Honestly, sometimes i feel a lot of married men sound like dogs.

They do indeed. It's pretty pathetic.

honeymiel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2018, 12:36 am

I think some of this has come out as a push against some of the older marital values that existed around the 50s and 60s, where women were subservient to men and had to dress for them, clean for them, cook for them, and accept their anger and lack of appreciation if it wasn't to the standard of their husbands.

So in a way I think it's used to 'tame' men into thinking that their wife needs to be valued and respected as an equal authority. There is an assumption in here that the man that is being told these things needs to have his head reeled in, lest he think that it's okay to boss a woman around or expect her to bend to his whims

So I disagree that these statements should be taken literally, as though women have the ultimate right to power in the relationship. I think the sentiment is about sharing power in a society where women are often subjugating to dominant or aggressive men

Obviously it's misguided in some ways, since plenty of men these days are respectful of women

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

Aspie1 wrote:

your dick, probably.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

22 Feb 2018, 5:40 am

I've been living with my girlfriend for over 5 years & she's nothing like this list except for the dog thing. I want a dog & she wants one too but thinks our place is too small. She had a cat when we got together but at one point she adopted a kitten in addition to the cat she already had but she gave the kitten to her parents cuz her old one didn't like the energy.(how come our place is too small to have a dog but it was big enough for us to have a 2nd cat :?: ). She adopted a pregnant cat without consulting me a while after her old one was put to sleep cuz of kidney problems(we gave the kittens away so we just have the mom now) & I still cant have a dog yet she says how she still wants one & would get one if we had a bigger place & she says a dog would be even better for her issues than having a cat. Would I be in the wrong if I were to adopt a dog on my own without consulting her :?: I think I would so I won't.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2018, 6:08 am

fluffysaurus wrote:

But... books!? I can imagine having problem with one's spouse pets because of the smell, noise, mess, effort, possible damage... but books? What possibly could be inconvinient about owning lots of books?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:13 am

...MGTOW = ? :?

te and extended, and their adult friends, would tell me things about what married life will be like. All of them were incredibly off-putting. Here's the list, not ascribed to any particular person or my age at the time it was said.

* "Forget about your interests! They're not important! What matters is how your and your wife other feel about each other." ("feel about each other" = "her interests")
Counter-argument: Why only her interests and not mine? Is it because she's a woman and I'm a man?

* "If you want a dog, and your wife doesn't, then you'll have to accept the fact that you can't have a dog!"

* "Right now, you have to obey your parents. When you grow up, you will have to obey your wife."

* "When your wife yells at you, you will be quiet and listen to her! She does it because she cares about you."
Counter-argument: Then screw her and her caring! I'm staying single, so I don't get yelled at.

* "You will meet a woman someday, and she'll care about you very much!" (said in an angry tone)

* "When your wife cooks something, you will eat it and be thankful for it, even if it's something you don't like!"
Counter-argument: What the fu__? :? And let me guess: I have to give up foods she doesn't like. :evil:

I'm pretty sure the people in my life wanted me married off to a woman at some point. And they only recently made peace with my perpetually single, MGTOW-esque lifestyle. Then why would they tell me how horrible married life will be? :? Heck, they succeeded already! I'm more determined than ever to keep all romantically interested women at arm's length. While in the past, I at least enjoyed going on dates.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:15 am

Aspie1 wrote:
For as long as I lived, my family, immediate and extended, and their adult friends, would tell me things about what married life will be like. All of them were incredibly off-putting. Here's the list, not ascribed to any particular person or my age at the time it was said.

I'm pretty sure the people in my life wanted me married off to a woman at some point. And they only recently made peace with my perpetually single, MGTOW-esque lifestyle. Then why would they tell me how horrible married life will be? :? Heck, they succeeded already! I'm more determined than ever to keep all romantically interested women at arm's length. While in the past, I at least enjoyed going on dates.

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s none of their business what you do.

The whole “her interests first” thing... that’s just a good rule of thumb for relationships as a whole. That applies just as much to casual same-sex frienships as it does romantic relationships. The idea is that if you put someone else first, they will want to take just as much care of you.

I feel at any time I could ask my wife for help with anything. Not because she “owes” me anything, but because she’s just awesome like that. That’s just who she is. And that sweet spirit makes me want to spend time with her, give back rubs, cook dinner to give her a break, etc.

It works both ways. But if you’re so tied up in your own self-interest, how do you have room for anyone else in your life?

That’s all it is. Marriage is really only as difficult as you make it. You do what’s best for you and don’t worry about what anyone else says.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

22 Feb 2018, 6:20 am

magz wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

But... books!? I can imagine having problem with one's spouse pets because of the smell, noise, mess, effort, possible damage... but books? What possibly could be inconvinient about owning lots of books?
Maybe she has so many it's like hoards em & they take up most of the space where she lives now. I'm just throwing it out there cuz my girlfriend's like that thou fluffy probably isn't. Cass's aunt is a serious hoarder with anything she can get so hoarding does run in the family & Cass is kind of borderline with books & nicknacks. It doesn't really bother me much thou cuz I don't own that much stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2018, 6:49 am

Well, if this is how people around you see marriage, then don't get married!
I guess they confuse care with control. Funny that people here in Poland do it too. Althought I have very good feedback from psychologists and teachers about my parenting style, I often get criticised by elderly ladies about being not controlling enough towards my kids. Like, letting them decide if they want to wear their hats and gloves or not. Heck, they know if they are cold, I don't!
I hate to control and I hate to be controlled.
And I'm married. 9 years now. Sure, there is struggle in living together but when I look at your list...

Aspie1 wrote:
My counter-argument: Loving someone, esp. an Aspie, means loving them with their interests!

Aspie1 wrote:
If having a dog is important for you, you don't marry someone who can't stand dogs.
If it's your dog, not your wife's, you clean the fur from the carpet.

Aspie1 wrote:
I don't want to be in your parents' relationship if they see living together in terms of obeying.

Aspie1 wrote:
Getting emotional every now and then is normal in living together. Both sides. If you can't stand another one's emotions, then better stay single.

Aspie1 wrote:
I don't even get what it means with the angry voice included. Confusing care with control?

Aspie1 wrote:
1. You need to learn diplomacy, like, "I liked those things you cooked yesterday more". Or cook yourself.
2. If she cooks, then she probably won't make things she doesn't like. If you cook, you decide. Fair enough?

I guess your parents live in the world of fixed roles, this is why the dog (assumption the wife cleans the house) and cooking (assumption she does it) issues.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 8:31 am

nick007 wrote:
magz wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Maybe she has so many it's like hoards em & they take up most of the space where she lives now. I'm just throwing it out there cuz my girlfriend's like that thou fluffy probably isn't. Cass's aunt is a serious hoarder with anything she can get so hoarding does run in the family & Cass is kind of borderline with books & nicknacks. It doesn't really bother me much thou cuz I don't own that much stuff.

:D 1760 books isn't hording, is it? Just because out of 10 pieces of furniture 7 are bookcases and my cloths have to live in a pile on the floor is no reason to think I'm obsessive, oh! I'm on WP, it's ok to be obsessive. Yay, I'm an obsessive book fiend :D