Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 4:21 pm

I think I’m going try online dating again, I don’t know, but the last time I was talking to men that paid attention to me, I was more happy talking to them. And I can get over my crush :D :heart:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 4:32 pm

i hope you meet some nice people!

good luck!

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 6:01 pm

I met my Beloved on Craig's List. It is possible.

"You mean that you met him on the Internet? What if he's a serial killer?" 8O

"Come on; what are the odds of two serial killers meeting on the Internet?" :twisted:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 1:23 am

I want to try, I like okcupid. But if I meet someone online, I cannot meet him right away, I still have a broken ankle.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 4:21 am

Here, in the thread Bigotry against involuntarily celibate men:

Sabreclaw wrote:
If you say the wrong thing to the wrong person it could end up on one of those reddit threads, immortalizing you as a complete prat. Then there's always risk of it showing up to haunt you in life.

This is a major problem with today's social media in general, especially Facebook, on which people are required to use their legal names and often share details of their physical whereabouts.

This, and other kinds of potential harassment, are an issue that needs to be taken into account by any dating service or anything similar, in my opinion. In my opinion, users should be initially introduced using pseudonyms and should be required to sign some sort of agreement agreeing to respect the privacy of other users in various specific ways.

Does anyone here know if today's major dating services require such agreements? I wouldn't know, since I don't use them.

AutisticJar
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2018, 4:35 am

I have done online dating, but had no luck with it. I used to be an active member of OKcupid before they did that godawful redesign that made the site become more like Tinder. I quit OKcupid after that.

Lately, I've been signing up for every online dating app in the book. Mainly, I've been using Tinder, Hinge, and Bumble. I have had zero success with either of them.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 5:45 am

I've never tried any because I couldn't do a voice/video chat, which I've always presumed they're largely based upon or what people would expect you to do. I wouldn't mind exchanging messages/emails to get to know somebody, but I can't leave the house other than to do anything but shopping for essentials these days so I wouldn't be much to use anybody. As a single parent though, I guess I probably would have that in common with with quite a lot of females on those sites.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 11:52 am

lostproperty wrote:
I've never tried any because I couldn't do a voice/video chat, which I've always presumed they're largely based upon or what people would expect you to do.

To others here: Is that, indeed, what they expect?

If so: ugh, ugh, ugh! Even more opening oneself up to potential online harassment of various kinds. The world needs safer ways for people to get to know each other. Autistic people especially need greater safety, due to a tendency not to be good judges of character.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:55 pm

lostproperty wrote:
I've never tried any because I couldn't do a voice/video chat, which I've always presumed they're largely based upon or what people would expect you to do. I wouldn't mind exchanging messages/emails to get to know somebody, but I can't leave the house other than to do anything but shopping for essentials these days so I wouldn't be much to use anybody. As a single parent though, I guess I probably would have that in common with with quite a lot of females on those sites.

There’s no voice or video chat
You message for while then meet up.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 7:01 pm

Have fun and enjoy!

Stay safe and be careful!

some people online may be genuine but some may be married, lie about themselves or catfish. Just be cautious.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm

I downloaded OkCupid & Cougar dating apps, but with Cougar dating, I’m not mature enough.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 11:04 pm

I met my current husband on PlentyOfFish.

Someone mentioned Craigslist. Craigslist no longer has any personal ads, because it was becoming nothing but a platform for prostitution.

Online dating is fine but you do need to use certain safeguards. Like, only exchange personal information after a successful meeting in a fairly public place, like a coffee shop.

I did an informal background check on guys once I had their full names, addresses, etc. Some people act like that's a shocking invasion of privacy. Well, too bad, it helped me avoid criminals. I recommend it. And if I were dating today, I'd probably just subscribe to one of those paid background search services.

Questions I wanted to know fairly early: 1. Who was their employer? 2. Who and where are their family? 3. What was their relationship history - how many marriages or long-term relationships, etc. These were definitely screening questions. I didn't want to be involved with a serial monogamist (or a serial killer!). Also if you know someone's employer and family, and they do you wrong, you have somewhere to take your complaint - which itself probably inhibits anyone from doing you wrong.

So good luck, Kitty, and have fun!

X24actor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2018, 3:04 am

Plenty of Fish. Married! Diagnosed much later though

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 12:55 pm

This morning when I woke up, on OkCupid, I got 25 likes, I still attract men, wow :D 8O :heart: :heart:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 1:15 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
This morning when I woke up, on OkCupid, I got 25 likes, I still attract men, wow :D 8O :heart: :heart:

aw, that's awesome!

i hope you have some good coversations :heart:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:18 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I met my current husband on PlentyOfFish.

Someone mentioned Craigslist. Craigslist no longer has any personal ads, because it was becoming nothing but a platform for prostitution.

Online dating is fine but you do need to use certain safeguards. Like, only exchange personal information after a successful meeting in a fairly public place, like a coffee shop.

I did an informal background check on guys once I had their full names, addresses, etc. Some people act like that's a shocking invasion of privacy. Well, too bad, it helped me avoid criminals. I recommend it. And if I were dating today, I'd probably just subscribe to one of those paid background search services.

Questions I wanted to know fairly early: 1. Who was their employer? 2. Who and where are their family? 3. What was their relationship history - how many marriages or long-term relationships, etc. These were definitely screening questions. I didn't want to be involved with a serial monogamist (or a serial killer!). Also if you know someone's employer and family, and they do you wrong, you have somewhere to take your complaint - which itself probably inhibits anyone from doing you wrong.

So good luck, Kitty, and have fun!

That’s not true about craigslist they had s spectate section just for sex. They s**t down cause under the laws any match making site could face fines. Say if two people meet up from okcupid/pof and then guy pays the woman for sex well under the law okcupid/POF are responsible for it. Craigslist is smaller company and didn’t want to deal with any potential legal issues so they shut it all down, their message about it was quite clear of their intentions. Any site that connects two people can be used for prostitution including here. If I met a lady here and then paid for sex with her wrongplanet would be liable and fined.
It applies to any site that people connected in to do prostitution. If I owned Craigslist I’d shut it down too to avoid legal issues.

Both okcupid and pof have lots of prostitutes on them they playing with fire but the other choice is they shut their whole company down. Craigslist could shut down the personals section(dating, friendships, workout buddies, sex) and be fine as it was just a small part of their business

I don’t think kitty should care about a mans employment/income , she should just try to find a nice guy who will love her and treat her right, refusing low income men or unemployed men might mean never meeting such a guy. I’m such a guy who is excluded by such requirements.