Am I the only one who feels like Aspies are close-minded?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:52 pm

I'm not trying to be insulting in fact other people tell me I'm close minded too and I think it's a trait of having Aspergers.

SO MANY people on this forum have that same trait. It's impossible to win an argument with Aspies because they only see the world from their point of view and they expect everybody else to see the world their way too. They don't compromise their opinions. In fact they can get pretty mad with anybody who disagrees with them or proves them wrong even over such minor things. I know I do it, my brother who also has Aspergers does it, and so do many members here. It's also very hard to influence how they feel about something because it takes them a very long time to even consider somebody else's opinion.

That must be one of the reasons Aspies have such a hard time making friends and having relationships. They talk at people rather than with people. It's always a one-sided conversation with us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:56 pm

Closed-minded, or just a higher threshold of belief?

Some people ... you could sing the first two lines of "Pennies from Heaven" and they'd be outdoors with a bucket.

Other people ... tell them that the sky appears blue because of Rayleigh Scattering, and they'll demand to see the experimental data.

I've seen both, with Aspies AND Neurotypicals.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:57 pm

I think I'm pretty open minded.
I like listening to people and talking with them and hearing differing opinions, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.
I must not have autism.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:57 pm

Fnord wrote:

Some people ... you could sing the first two lines of "Pennies from Heaven" and they'd be outdoors with a bucket.

Other people ... tell them that the sky appears blue because of Rayleigh Scattering, and they'll demand to see the experimental data.

...I have no idea what the hell you just said.

Last edited by TW1ZTY on 29 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I like listening to people and talking with them and hearing differing opinions, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.
I must not have autism.

Could it be possible you're not as open minded as you think? I used to think I was open minded and I am in some ways but I shut down to people who try to tell me I'm wrong all the time even when they are right

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:01 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:

... I have no idea what the hell you just said.
Simply put, "Closed-Mindedness" is not exclusive to Aspies.

Also, there is a spectrum that runs from completely gullible to completely stone-walled, and one person can have varying degrees of "mindedness" depending on the topic.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:01 pm

Not just an aspie thing, I know several annoyingly hard headed NTs

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:

... I have no idea what the hell you just said.
Simply put, "Closed-Mindedness" is not exclusive to Aspies.

Also, there is a spectrum that runs from completely gullible to completely stone-walled, and one person can have varying degrees of "mindedness" depending on the topic.

Neurotypicals can have a lot of traits that Aspies have. I think most of us are aware of that.

It's having a combination of certain traits that makes you Autistic.

That's like arguing that just because a Neurotypical commits a crime they must automatically be a sociopath because one of the characteristics of a sociopath is "a complete disregard for the rules". NTs can have that too. So can Aspies.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:57 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I must not have autism.

Could it be possible you're not as open minded as you think? I used to think I was open minded and I am in some ways but I shut down to people who try to tell me I'm wrong all the time even when they are right

I don't know.
I'm closing my mind to that possibility.

:mrgreen:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 7:01 pm

Raleigh wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I must not have autism.

I don't know.
I'm closing my mind to that possibility.

:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 7:56 pm

Um, excuse me but I believe the majority of neurotypicals are typically closed-minded. It's even been pointed out on WP (I think there was a thread here somewhere called "why are NTs so closed-minded?" or something like that).

I mean, NTs expect everyone to be like them. If you're a bit different they can't handle it. They expect you to think like they do, and they judge you if you don't. Some even bully you because of it.

I'm not saying Aspies aren't closed-minded. We're probably just as bad as NTs. I know I don't like being all Us vs Them, because, at the end of the day, we're all humans, whether you're autistic, NT or ND. But with all the misunderstanding and the bullying and the rejection and the judgments us spectrumers get treated with by NTs in our lives, it's so ironic for an Aspie to come to WP and tell us that we're the closed-minded group.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Um, excuse me but I believe the majority of neurotypicals are typically closed-minded. It's even been pointed out on WP (I think there was a thread here somewhere called "why are NTs so closed-minded?" or something like that).

I mean, NTs expect everyone to be like them. If you're a bit different they can't handle it. They expect you to think like they do, and they judge you if you don't. Some even bully you because of it.

I'm not saying Aspies aren't closed-minded. We're probably just as bad as NTs. I know I don't like being all Us vs Them, because, at the end of the day, we're all humans, whether you're autistic, NT or ND. But with all the misunderstanding and the bullying and the rejection and the judgments us spectrumers get treated with by NTs in our lives, it's so ironic for an Aspie to come to WP and tell us that we're the closed-minded group.

But we ARE. At least I see it with every Aspie I meet including myself.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:09 pm

Besides aren't Aspies the ones who don't adjust well to any kind of change? That's a form of close-minded behavior.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:34 pm

Conclusion: Aspies are close-minded about being close-minded.

You can never quite predict how these threads are gonna swing, can you? :?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:55 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Conclusion: Aspies are close-minded about being close-minded.

You can never quite predict how these threads are gonna swing, can you? :?

Except for the part about all Aspies being close-minded about the threads. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 9:05 pm

Aspies are NOT closed minded!

And....

NOTHING THAT YOU SAY will convince me that they are! :evil: