Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2018, 11:13 am

My dad and I have been trying to get an autism assessment set up since August. I am curious as to what an assessment entails? Like what kind of methods of testing they do? I live in the U.S., if that is of importance. If you have experience I am very curious as I can't seem to find much online for how they test teenagers.

gardenerofcolours
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2018, 4:55 pm

I think that you will find a wide variety. I know of some who have had a battery of tests done, as well as speaking to your parents about your childhood. I had four appointments with the same person, and we discussed things like

1) Why I thought I might be on the spectrum
2) Why I thought I might not
3) My social, academic and general life
4) My childhood
5) Scenario specific questions (such as, if you are in a crowded room, is it difficult or easy to follow all the conversations around you?)
6) Paperwork I had brought in, stating that I was developmentally delayed as a child.

My assessor did not have me do any tests, or tell her a story about something that she had brought in (as I have heard of).

Pronouns: She/Her/They
Dx'd 06/25/2018

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2018, 7:05 pm

My experience was very different from gardenerofcolours'. I believe mine was pretty typical of what you would expect from an autism assessment, though, especially for a teen. That said, you're not supposed to know exactly what you're going to be asked to do, because it could affect your performance. But I'll give you a basic summary. Keep in mind that this will probably vary depending on you and what areas your doctor thinks need to be checked.

The first thing you'll have is an intake appointment. Your parent will probably be there with you (or the doctor will see you both separately). This appointment is just to give the assessor a general overview of what your issues are - what makes life hard for you? Sometimes the doctor will give you an idea of what they think you might have at the end. It's alright if they're a little doubtful that you have autism - mine said she was uncertain, but the testing results made my deficits clearer. Your parent will be sent home with some questionnaires to fill out pertaining to your current skills and abilities.

The testing is the hardest part. It usually lasts about four hours (although it can run longer). The autism testing itself is a lot like a conversation. Most of it isn't a list of questions so much as it is a running dialogue between you and the doctor. You'll be given a few challenges, many of them involving the use of imagination. You'll also be asked a few specific questions about issues you have in different environments. You'll be given cognitive tests, too, which take up over half of the four hours. Nothing to worry about there; you'll be given breaks. They're basically a bunch of brain teasers, more or less. You're going to be exhausted by the end, though.

You might wait about a month before your last appointment, in which you'll meet with the doctor to discuss the results. You'll take home a copy of the diagnostic report, and you're done. Not easy, exactly, but nothing to worry about.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

AceofPens wrote:
My experience was very different from gardenerofcolours'. I believe mine was pretty typical of what you would expect from an autism assessment, though, especially for a teen. That said, you're not supposed to know exactly what you're going to be asked to do, because it could affect your performance. But I'll give you a basic summary. Keep in mind that this will probably vary depending on you and what areas your doctor thinks need to be checked.

The first thing you'll have is an intake appointment. Your parent will probably be there with you (or the doctor will see you both separately). This appointment is just to give the assessor a general overview of what your issues are - what makes life hard for you? Sometimes the doctor will give you an idea of what they think you might have at the end. It's alright if they're a little doubtful that you have autism - mine said she was uncertain, but the testing results made my deficits clearer. Your parent will be sent home with some questionnaires to fill out pertaining to your current skills and abilities.

The testing is the hardest part. It usually lasts about four hours (although it can run longer). The autism testing itself is a lot like a conversation. Most of it isn't a list of questions so much as it is a running dialogue between you and the doctor. You'll be given a few challenges, many of them involving the use of imagination. You'll also be asked a few specific questions about issues you have in different environments. You'll be given cognitive tests, too, which take up over half of the four hours. Nothing to worry about there; you'll be given breaks. They're basically a bunch of brain teasers, more or less. You're going to be exhausted by the end, though.

You might wait about a month before your last appointment, in which you'll meet with the doctor to discuss the results. You'll take home a copy of the diagnostic report, and you're done. Not easy, exactly, but nothing to worry about.

That definitely cleared up a lot of questions I had. Thank you! :D