Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 3:21 am

Is anger the go to emotion normally when dealing with sound sensitivities?
Mine is. I get frustrated and furious at times if I can't do much about it other than run or try to stifle the sound with something else.

I guess I wish there was a fairy tale world where my sensitivities would come in handy.
My therapist said that anger is a normal go to emotion in a case like mine.

What do you all think about anger being the go to emotion when overstimulated?

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2019, 6:06 am

There are a lot of sounds that bother me, especially loud ones.

I do get angry if the noise is repetitive and annoying, particularly if it's due to inconsiderate neighbors. A stupid commercial or game show will do it too but that can be controlled. I think that's most people though. How troublesome it is depends on the force of anger in proportion to the stimulus.

My big problem is with very loud and / or high-pitched sounds. Fireworks are a no-go. But smoke alarms... I truly cannot bear them. All rational thought flies right out of my head (when presumably one needs it most) and all I can think about is the sound. I would rather burn to death than walk under a shrieking smoke alarm.

I wish there was a gentle smoke alarm for autistic folks. Loud enough to get your attention, but not harsh or shrill enough to terrify you.

The anger response can be managed much more easily than the fear response IME.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:29 am

Some loud noises make me angry or irritable, such as screaming kids and loud motorcycles.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2019, 6:57 am

If I’ve been around loud noises for too long, sometimes I feel like I want to start throwing things, but I don’t.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:44 am

I get angry if there's noise invading my home, such as a car parked outside with its' stereo still blaring out or somebody hammering away at something. Years ago, I lost it to the point of practically kicking somebody's door in, which is completely out of character for me.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

I'm turning angry and snobbish living here.

The builders are opposite non stop, don't know what they're doing but it's noisy. Everyone shouts at everyone else. Not in anger but just as if they can't talk. My neighbour has the most annoying voice in the world and she shouts every day when she wakes up.

It wasn't like that in the old neighbourhood.

I'm also paranoid they can hear me so I'm being really boring in which YouTube videos I watch.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:10 am

caThar4G wrote:
Mine is. I get frustrated and furious at times if I can't do much about it other than run or try to stifle the sound with something else.

I guess I wish there was a fairy tale world where my sensitivities would come in handy.

I have that as well. I also have Misophonia which is an extreme rage type response to sounds but that extreme rage is only a response to specific trigger sounds. But I am very sensitive to many sounds and even become suicidal from them. I also have had some homicidal thoughts. Of course I would never actually hurt other people but I have been hospitalized from being suicidal over sounds.

Wreck It Ralph

Astroecho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

One of my daughters has Misophonia… Chrunching celery near her can make her go off! She can't even handle cottonwool anywhere near her as even the 'squeak' from that of you pull it apart sets her off. We used to laugh which would make her worse but have come to realise it is a real thing! She can't be in the same room as anyone eating crisps either!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 11:44 am

Loud sudden noises especially barking dogs make me very irritable to angry.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2019, 11:59 am

Serpentine wrote:
I do get angry if the noise is repetitive and annoying, particularly if it's due to inconsiderate neighbors.

I feel you. I'm about to move because the apartment I currently live in has rather thin walls and I can hear the neighbours having conversations. I can deal with noise during the day but I need to be able to relax and when I can't do that, I get furious.

I can't stand very loud noises, I always cover my ears when there's a train passing by or when I walk by construction workers operating drills. Luckily these sounds are only brief. Though it irritates me, my anger will only be triggered by prolonged exposure. Crowds have a similar effect on me. I can't bear going to parties without drinking alcohol to numb my senses a little.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 12:05 pm

I think we feel anger when we hear certain sounds because it's like we're being physically attacked and our fight-or -flight instincts are activated. But if you can't get away from the noise or do anything to stop it, the anger and stress just stay inside you, clawing at your insides like some horrible monster. :evil:

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 3:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Some loud noises make me angry or irritable, such as screaming kids and loud motorcycles.

Ditto! There is nothing worse than screaming kids and stupid motorcycles!

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2019, 6:11 pm

Yes, most often my natural reaction is anger.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:55 pm

TUF wrote:
I'm turning angry and snobbish living here.

The builders are opposite non stop, don't know what they're doing but it's noisy. Everyone shouts at everyone else. Not in anger but just as if they can't talk. My neighbour has the most annoying voice in the world and she shouts every day when she wakes up.

It wasn't like that in the old neighbourhood.

I'm also paranoid they can hear me so I'm being really boring in which YouTube videos I watch.

I used to get paranoid a lot.
I still do at times.
I think it's cause after I get angry at a neighbor, I think that the neighbor is going to retaliate. (Even when I don't confront the neighbor at times).

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2019, 11:41 pm

Same here. Irritation followed by anger if it persists, or I can not get away from it. Sharp metallic clangs, compressed gas escaping, and noisy fans are instant triggers. With four kids two of them on the spectrum and one suspected, and a partially deaf wife who all want their devices on at full volume I live in a sensory hell at times. Then I get yelled at for hiding out in my room. I wish I could get them to understand what it does to me.

AQ 42

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 6:03 am

caThar4G wrote:

Sure. I feel it, and it makes sense. Sounds can be very invasive. They destroy your boundary with the world, and make you feel powerful. It's only natural to feel angry and want to attack back. The people who make you feel ashamed about this are the ones who don't experience sound the same way.