Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2019, 9:05 am

I apologize if this is a reoccurring topic; I guess I'm just looking for a more direct answer.

I have trouble embacing singleness. That is because I hate giving up and quitting on something I've unsuccessfully tried for nearly 20 years - experiencing a relationship. I'm 33, have never dated.

Giving up would mean that my negative attributes will have won.

Maybe embracing singleness is good, I don't know. Maybe failure is good, I don't know.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 10:47 am

I feel like I need to ask a question. How many girls have you asked out on a date?

I went on 2 dates in high school. They were with the same girl. I only went on a few dates in college. Basically, I was too shy. My romantic life after college was beginning to look bleak. But then I recognized a strange opportunity and I traveled to the other side of the world behind the Iron Curtain and met in person a girl I had been corresponding with for a year. After a few weeks I proposed to her using a language dictionary. She eventually accepted my proposal and we have been happily married for around 45 years now. The point here is THAT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE.

After college, I tried to find a job. I went to 200 interviews in person and mailed out another 300 resumes. All to no avail. But then an opportunity opened up quite out of the blue and I took it. I got the job and worked until I retired 40 years later. The point here is THAT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE.

So have you asked 500 girls out yet?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 11:09 am

Quote:

Yeah, go ahead.....ask out every woman in sight you may encounter in life. /sarcasm.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 11:34 am

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Faint heart never won fair lady.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

24 Mar 2019, 11:45 am

jimmy m wrote:
But then I recognized a strange opportunity and I traveled to the other side of the world behind the Iron Curtain and met in person a girl I had been corresponding with for a year. After a few weeks I proposed to her using a language dictionary. She eventually accepted my proposal and we have been happily married for around 45 years now. The point here is THAT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE.
Did you move to her country or did she move to yours :?:
I would of done the mail-order bride route when I was single if I had the money & resources & i would of taken in a girl who needed a place to stay if I would of had my own place. I knew a couple women online at different times who would of been interested in the ladder but they didn't wanna do an LDR & they didn't have money to go in on a place with me. Perhaps the OP could look into these options.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
Did you move to her country or did she move to yours :?:
I would of done the mail-order bride route when I was single if I had the money & resources & i would of taken in a girl who needed a place to stay if I would of had my own place.

I brought her to my country. She learned English in about a years time. It was difficult to get her out because she was from behind the iron curtain. But I stumbled into a Catch 22 that worked. I would not call her a mail-order bride. But rather a very beautiful girl from a far distant land, that took a change with me.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 2:18 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

This stupid chauvinistic saying again.

How about guys to have some standards, you know?

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 24 Mar 2019, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2019, 2:32 pm

My answer is 1. 7th grade. I thought I built it up well, she knew she liked me, slow danced with her at the Valentine's Day dance and even brought flowers. A week later She said no.

Her friends thought me asking her out was creepy (she was single, knew she liked me, and it didn't appear to me she scoffed at anything).

I guess ever since then I worry about my just-do-it "best shot" appearing to be "creepy." And knowing how news spreads like wildfire in female social circles.

I may not be a macho man, but I'm no Harvey Weinstein either.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 2:37 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I feel like I need to ask a question. How many girls have you asked out on a date?

I went on 2 dates in high school. They were with the same girl. I only went on a few dates in college. Basically, I was too shy. My romantic life after college was beginning to look bleak. But then I recognized a strange opportunity and I traveled to the other side of the world behind the Iron Curtain and met in person a girl I had been corresponding with for a year. After a few weeks I proposed to her using a language dictionary. She eventually accepted my proposal and we have been happily married for around 45 years now. The point here is THAT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE.

After college, I tried to find a job. I went to 200 interviews in person and mailed out another 300 resumes. All to no avail. But then an opportunity opened up quite out of the blue and I took it. I got the job and worked until I retired 40 years later. The point here is THAT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE.

So let me get this straight, you asked out about 500+ women in life from your country and none accepted you, and at the end you ended up with someone foreigner living on the other side of the planet who doesn't understand nor speak your language, whom you courted her at the beginning exclusively via a dictionary? Doesn't that mean the asking of 500+ of women from you country was totally irrelevant?

So what exactly the logic behind the asking 500 girls out advice?

Ok....I dunno what to say about this story really. :| My brain can't compute.

Rad Rockit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2019, 3:22 pm

I've always been of the opinion that you don't need a relationship to be happy. Yeah it might be nice to have the positive bits, but you'll also have to take some negative along with them, and you could also end up trapped in a bad relationship if you feel like you absolutely need to be in one at all costs. I don't think anyone can tell you that you have to embrace singleness either, but I think it might be worth focusing on the positives rather than the negatives. I haven't been in a relationship myself since I was a teenager, and while I do sometimes wish I could find someone who really gets me so to speak, I don't think that needs to come with romantic or physical attachments. I bring that up because I am only a couple years younger than you are and I hope knowing you're not alone helps some. If you have other positive relationships in your life like family and friends and can appreciate those, that might be all you need. Whatever happens though, I do hope things worn out for you.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 3:50 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

This stupid chauvinistic saying again.

What about guys to have some standards, you know?

Your first paragraph, I will only say, I think these aphorisms fit the situation.

Your second paragraph is non-grammatical so I don't know what it means, nor do I care.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 5:12 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
So let me get this straight, you asked out about 500+ women in life from your country and none accepted you, and at the end you ended up with someone foreigner living on the other side of the planet who doesn't understand nor speak your language, whom you courted her at the beginning exclusively via a dictionary? Doesn't that mean the asking of 500+ of women from you country was totally irrelevant?
So what exactly the logic behind the asking 500 girls out advice?
Ok....I dunno what to say about this story really. :| My brain can't compute.

There are two points to this story. First, you will never find out if a girl will go out with you unless you ask her. Second, all it takes is one yes and over time, that girl might become your one and only.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 8:35 am

jimmy m wrote:

Jimmy m I wish the whole world could know how awesome you are. Indeed it only takes one, and you went for it. Your lady is pretty special too. What a wonderful world to have you in it. :heart:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 11:13 am

Teach51 wrote:
Jimmy m I wish the whole world could know how awesome you are. Indeed it only takes one, and you went for it. Your lady is pretty special too. What a wonderful world to have you in it. :heart:

Thanks!

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 6:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with being single, if that is what you want.

Being able to be alone is a good attribute for anyone to have. Far to many of us wrap our self worth in being in relationships. So being able to be alone and be content with one's self is an important piece of self love and emotional maturity.

Now, you said "unsuccessfully tried for nearly 20 years" and then said you've only asked 1 girl out in 7th grade. That is not 'trying for 20 years', so what exactly have you been doing for you to be able to claim you've been trying?

Were you waiting for some woman to pop up and ask you? Where that are women that do that, generally many still don't. So it's not surprising that you could go a long time without being asked out by any shake. Additionally for those of us on the spectrum we may inadvertently give someone the impression we are not interested.

Middle school dating isn't a great reference. Kids are immature, many not ready for dating, and are more likely to be embarrassed over silly things. For instance, the girl might have wanted to say yes but if her friends thought were goofy or something she would likely decline to save face with her friends. That's just one possibility, there's certainly others. But the point there is, 7th grade dating isn't going to be like adulthood.

You just giving a shot may come out creepy, annoying or who knows what else to some, but that just shows they aren't people you'd really want to date anyway! Because someone else is going to find it nice, or even endearing. As a couple other's said, nothing can happen unless you swing the bat.