Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 11:54 am

It really depends upon the results of the "halving."

And the effect the fecal transplant has on other parts of the body.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2019, 3:00 pm

Uh oh gut health. This board’s favourite topic!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 4:53 pm

Rodland wrote:

I think it looks disgusting!

But seriously, reading the article, it seemed like the actual claim was that the GI symptoms were lessened, which are not core autistic symptoms; this may generalize to coping better generally and less sensory overload, but not necessarily by changing the autistic brain. And I think there are other ways to restore gut flora than fecal transplants, such as probiotics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 5:01 pm

I don't think fecal transplantation----or probiotics-----or anything else-----is going to turn out to be a panacea for "victims" of autism.

There's just too many causes of it. And a certain treatment for one autistic person---might be a disaster for that person---even if it turns out to be a panacea for another person.

There is no "one size fits all" in autism treatment.

south_paw
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm

I pretty sure that treatment will only work if you have your head up your a#$.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 7:24 pm

How fecal microbial transplants work is actually poorly understood. Companies like Seres therapeutics have tried to recreate the results of fecal transplants in a controlled fashion with mixed results.

By far the most successful application of FMT is in the treatment of Clostridioides (formerly Clostridium) dificile infection. While transfer from a healthy donor resulted in a 91% cure rate, in a double blind controlled study where the control group was transplanted with their own fecal matter they showed a 64% cure rate. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5909820/

Gut microbial science is incredibly complicated and any hard claims should be viewed skeptically.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

I may be way out in left field here (would be nothing new) but wouldn't consuming yogurt with active cultures to promote the growth of intestinal flora accomplish the same thing? Without the expense, the risk of infection and whatever else? I have been eating yogurt since the 1980s and while I cannot say with certainty that it has helped my AS symptoms, it has definitely helped my overall health and whatever signals my gut is sending my brain have to be positive.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 9:26 pm

Yes, yogurt with active cultures or a probiotic pill are just about the same thing.

I don't fancy taking in someone else's poo, myself.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Yes, yogurt with active cultures or a probiotic pill are just about the same thing.

I don't fancy taking in someone else's poo, myself.

Respectfully they are not even close to the same thing. A probiotic pill can have as few as one species of bacteria, see mutaflor selling a single probiotic https://www.mutaflor.com/index.html. Yogurt cultures are more complex, but they are different bacteria than normally reside in the human gut. A fecal microbial transplant is literally taking thousands of different species of bacteria from a healthy donor and transplanting them to your colon.

Probiotics probably don't hurt, and may help, but the scientific efficacy of most is shaky at best.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:29 pm

I meant yogurt and probiotics are about the same as each other, not the same as a fecal transplant.

I still don't want anyone else's poo!

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:32 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I meant yogurt and probiotics are about the same as each other, not the same as a fecal transplant.

I still don't want anyone else's poo!

Ah forgiven. The yogurt is probably better than the probiotic pill anyways.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 2:18 am

Antrax wrote:
Gut microbial science is incredibly complicated and any hard claims should be viewed skeptically.

I think you've got that right. Some of my friends have endosymbiont labs. They refer to the gut microbiome as "an entire ecosystem in a flesh sac".
IMO if we want to get a better handle on how fecal transplants work, we need more ecologists. FWIW.

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2019, 7:22 am

Interesting but it's like many medical treatments they're researching for autism: they look promising but are nowhere near the stage of being implemented on a mass scale. I've yet to find something that helps me become more social.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 2:33 am

south_paw wrote:
I pretty sure that treatment will only work if you have your head up your a#$.

Lol. You got me rolling about laughing with that one :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 2:43 am

NeilM wrote:
I may be way out in left field here (would be nothing new) but wouldn't consuming yogurt with active cultures to promote the growth of intestinal flora accomplish the same thing? Without the expense, the risk of infection and whatever else? I have been eating yogurt since the 1980s and while I cannot say with certainty that it has helped my AS symptoms, it has definitely helped my overall health and whatever signals my gut is sending my brain have to be positive.

I don't like yogurt, not sure why just never have....but I do like some of the pro-biotic drinks and it does seem like they kind of help a little with feeling more centered and such. Like that kombucha stuff, I mean I certainly don't feel gross after drinking one of those vs drinking a soda. I mean actually at this point not sure when I last had a soda, I mean anytime in the past year I have had one It just seems disgusting like I don't even want to finish it, they're so gross and sugary. I'd rather have a seltzer water...it has bubbles but its not sickly sweet. But sometimes I come across bubbly pro-biotic drinks and I like those but soda and even energy drinks anymore just seem so gross.