Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2019, 4:03 pm

I'm not a big fan of using functioning labels. I believe that they sometimes don't focus on the strengths that each person could have. I think it makes it seem like being a certain way is more desirable which is ablest in my opinion.

I have what people call level 2 autism. I don't fully understand what that means but I do know that it is not considered high functioning to a lot of people. Also because of this label people don't take me very seriously. I'm good at a lot of stuff but people tend to focus more on my weaknesses. I know that because I had more weaknesses on my IEP than strengths. I'm not much of a talker and I have behavior problems. I find that people focus on that more than they focus on my skills. I feel like a lot of people do this with people that are not "high functioning". Then people who are considered "high functioning" have their needs ignored because they seem "normal". Functioning labels are also very complicated

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 4:12 pm

I was assessed last year as being in the range of Level 2, with no learning disability. I earned two degrees without accommodations, I've lived independently since I went to Uni at age 18, I worked in a demanding career for many years, and I've owned my own homes. I don't let the number bother me, because I know it doesn't define me. In my case, my restricted and repetitive behaviours were off the charts, and my social interaction is very weak (I also have agoraphobia, selective mutism and Complex Trauma). In theory I require "signficant support" or something like that, but I've managed my entire life with no support and it seems there's no support available anyway, beyond OT and therapy.

Don't let a number worry you.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 4:19 pm

Be an overcomer. Look to what you can do well. :) Let your strengths define who you are!

Question. Do they use the same systems in the UK and other places then they do in the USA?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:01 pm

I prefer functioning labels, but not by intelligence. A non-verbal person with autism could have a high IQ, while a sociable and high-functioning person with Asperger's may just hover around average or below average IQ.

The way I see it, there are no set symptoms for each autism level. Instead it depends entirely on the individual. I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and have always been considered 'on the high-functioning end of the spectrum', and it is true. I may not have the same set of symptoms as another high-functioning person who's also diagnosed with Asperger's, but I do know that I am very high-functioning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I was assessed last year as being in the range of Level 2, with no learning disability. I earned two degrees without accommodations, I've lived independently since I went to Uni at age 18, I worked in a demanding career for many years, and I've owned my own homes. I don't let the number bother me, because I know it doesn't define me. In my case, my restricted and repetitive behaviours were off the charts, and my social interaction is very weak (I also have agoraphobia, selective mutism and Complex Trauma). In theory I require "signficant support" or something like that, but I've managed my entire life with no support and it seems there's no support available anyway, beyond OT and therapy.

That's fine and inspiring and all, but...its impossible.

How could you possibly diagnosed as level 2 if you can do all of that? How could you be diagnosed as even level 1?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:18 pm

From what I've read IQ level often doesn't go with level of adaptive functioning when it comes to those of us with ASD.

epilanthanomai

10 Jun 2019, 5:22 pm

I don't have a level yet, or any official functioning labels. I'm going in for testing tomorrow for what I anticipate with be an ASD diagnosis. Here in the States that presumably includes a level number, but I think it doesn't include official functioning labels.

I was pretty uncomfortable when I told my primary therapist (who does not have a lot of experience with autism) that I thought i was autistic and he came back with, "Well, certainly high functioning, at least." I hadn't seen him in about a year and a half, and when I was seeing him regularly I was going in well-scripted and ready to frame the conversation the way I wanted it to go. This time I went in to him earlier this year, and I've been in a much rougher space this year. So far this year I feel like I've been functioning really poorly with significant stress and home emergencies piling up. I can generally talk when I need to, though I fall back to nonverbal when I think it's safe. I have a job that seems to like me, and I know that I'm objectively really smart and really good with complex abstract systems, so I guess that's high functioning to some people? Even if I feel like I'm only barely treading water there and slipping slowly backward outside of work?

I've been sort of stressing over whether I'm at a level 1 or 2 by DSM-5 standards. I'm pretty sure I don't put any personal value on either particular number, but I wish the publicly-available DSM descriptions were less vague. I'd really like to have some sort of objective sense of how I'm coping. I hope I can adequately express my stresses and concerns to my psychologist/analyst tomorrow so that when she comes back with her report she'll be able explain to me why I'm at the impact level she determines, and what it would look like for me to be at a different one.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:12 pm

I think functioning levels are unhelpful over-simplified bull crap.

My advice is to pay it little mind and do what you can do with the support you need.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

How could you possibly diagnosed as level 2 if you can do all of that? How could you be diagnosed as even level 1?

"my restricted and repetitive behaviours were off the charts, and my social interaction is very weak (I also have agoraphobia, selective mutism and Complex Trauma). In theory I require "signficant support" or something like that"

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:19 pm

Functioning labels are a poor fit for autism because autistic people can be much better than expected at one skill and bad not only at another skill but a related skill. Things like sensory sensitivities and executive dysfunction can and do cause radical fluctuations in functioning.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:21 pm

naturalplastic,

Pardon me? Shall I upload my report? :(

I did all that because I didn't know I was autistic. I thought I was a shy loner. My whole world was academics.

I masked, I followed my special interest into University and I made a career of it. I also had two nervous breakdowns and nearly died from the stress of masking for so long, which I've discussed at length on this forum. Many women my age have experienced the same because the system isn't designed to diagnose or support them.

I might add I also suffered a stroke.

My life hasn't been easy, but it's certainly TRUE.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic,

I did all that because I didn't know I was autistic. I thought I was a shy loner. My whole world was academics.

I masked, I followed my special interest into University and I made a career of it. I also had two nervous breakdowns and nearly died from the stress of masking for so long, which I've discussed at length on this forum. Many women my age have experienced the same because the system isn't designed to diagnose or support them.

I believe you completely

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:32 pm

Arganger wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic,

I believe you completely

Thank you. Saying it's impossible is dismissive, invalidating, and incorrect.

Perhaps I can upload my degrees, my stroke diagnostics and my mortgage statements too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:58 pm

Sorry Isabella , about shooting off my mouth there.

I understand now.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sorry Isabella , about shooting off my mouth there.

I understand now.

Thank you, np.

I know that those parts of my life sound really great and hard to achieve, but without a diagnosis I followed what other people were doing at any emotional or physical cost. I can't begin to explain how terrified I was, feeling out of my element my whole life, and having no idea why I was different. Now I have my diagnosis, I'm on Disability and I'm recovering from it all.

Apology accepted.

Back to the OP -- sorry for derailing.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I did good in college did good in high school too. But not so in real world
Why you being mean to isabell?